User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 39

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    It seems pretty straightforward.

    It stands to reason that if a person understands the social parameters for how to behave in one-on-one conversation, that the individual would apply a similar value system for community behavior.

    This is a will v. skill scenario.
    Thank you.

    Is it so hard to figure out?

  2. #12
    Wild Card Atomic Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    7,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    It seems pretty straightforward.

    It stands to reason that if a person understands the social parameters for how to behave in one-on-one conversation, that the individual would apply a similar value system for community behavior.

    This is a will v. skill scenario.
    Not necessarily, I've known several people who've carried themselves quite foolishly in more social settings, however when speaking one on one they were much easier to speak to, they weren't nearly as rude. I don't know if the same thing applies online.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Thank you.

    Is it so hard to figure out?
    I'm gonna chalk this and the other two comments up to you being annoyed.

  3. #13
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    It seems pretty straightforward.

    It stands to reason that if a person understands the social parameters for how to behave in one-on-one conversation, that the individual would apply a similar value system for community behavior.

    This is a will v. skill scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Thank you.

    Is it so hard to figure out?
    It's easy to imagine that answer, but it also happens to be wrong.

    Multi-targeting often severely changes the nature of a skill. I find it an excessive simplification to say that being good at one-on-one makes you good in a social venue. I imagine that a person could be really good at one, and really bad at another, either way.

    This might seem like a weird example, but think of this.
    If a state administration had been effective while practicing diplomatic relations bilaterally, can you assume then that it will be successful with multilateral diplomacy? Obviously that's a rhetorical question. The answer is no.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  4. #14
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Not necessarily, I've known several people who've carried themselves quite foolishly in more social settings, however when speaking one on one they were much easier to speak to, they weren't nearly as rude. I don't know if the same thing applies online.
    Agreed.

    I liked Nihilen, fwiw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #15
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's easy to imagine that answer, but it also happens to be wrong.

    Multi-targeting often severely changes the nature of a skill. I find it an excessive simplification to say that being good at one-on-one makes you good in a social venue. I imagine that a person could be really good at one, and really bad at another, either way.

    This might seem like a weird example, but think of this.
    If a state administration had been effective while practicing diplomatic relations bilaterally, can you assume then that it will be successful with multilateral diplomacy? Obviously that's a rhetorical question. The answer is no.
    Your call.

    Ultimately, we're waxing anecdotal perspective at this point. Your rhetorical example breaches the scope of our present conversation/subject.

    The expectations for behavior are pretty clear. Failing to consistently (and unapologetically) adhere to minimum "common sense" standards for social discourse earns you a punitive response. Just like in real life.

    It's pretty simple stuff, really.

  6. #16
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Not necessarily, I've known several people who've carried themselves quite foolishly in more social settings, however when speaking one on one they were much easier to speak to, they weren't nearly as rude. I don't know if the same thing applies online.

    I'm gonna chalk this and the other two comments up to you being annoyed.
    Annoyed, yes. I find this line of reasoning to be excuse-making.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's easy to imagine that answer, but it also happens to be wrong.

    Multi-targeting often severely changes the nature of a skill. I find it an excessive simplification to say that being good at one-on-one makes you good in a social venue. I imagine that a person could be really good at one, and really bad at another, either way.
    Thanks. I'll push for bannings sooner now that I know they cannot handle forum posting.

  7. #17
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    This might seem like a weird example, but think of this.
    Or just think of how introverts change between 1:1 and 1:many.

    edit: To be clear, I disagree with the concept, not with the banning. No opinion on that.

  8. #18
    Wild Card Atomic Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    7,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Annoyed, yes. I find this line of reasoning to be excuse-making.
    Don't get me wrong here, I wasn't defending anyone, I was just curious as to why you believed that particular statement, and obviously I wasn't the only one. I really don't care who you ban(well a short list of people) as long as it isn't me quite frankly.

  9. #19
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Or just think of how introverts change between 1:1 and 1:many.
    I don't buy this argument either. We're not just talking about being socially FLUID in both domains, we're talking about being civil and courteous. Civility and courtesy are skills that you don't suddenly FORGET when you're in a crowd, you just willingly neglect them.

  10. #20
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Don't get me wrong here, I wasn't defending anyone, I was just curious as to why you believed that particular statement, and obviously I wasn't the only one. I really don't care who you ban(well a short list of people) as long as it isn't me quite frankly.
    Because it is quite simple to transition one-on-one communications to forum posting.

    For example this post right here, I quoted you, and I'm responding to you. Very much like one-on-one, only everyone can read it.

    LOL, I'd like to see the day we'd have to ban you!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 05:53 PM
  2. Difference in Fi vs Ti in the conclusion of a god
    By Azure Flame in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 06-15-2013, 08:08 PM
  3. Manners in public vs Manners in 'private'
    By CzeCze in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
  4. Private Person vs. Public Face
    By Malcontent in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 08:02 AM
  5. Differences in type descriptions
    By Maverick in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO