User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I need to leave in a moment, but I think in the past people's lives were very much planned out for them, and they never hit a crisis until they felt the onset of middle/old age and realized they weren't happy.

Nowadays in our culture, we have SO many choices that I think it is bewildering, and we always feel as if we're missing something or not getting as much out of life as we could be. Hence, more confusion, earlier on. Kids are even living with their parents to much older ages, and waiting longer to marry as well.
    +1

It's the year 2007 and I'm a 25 year old engineer. I've been dating for three years (my third serious relationship), am on my 4th job since graduation, don't have a retirement plan or company benefits (contract work), and really don't even know if engineering is my life plan or not. Frankly, I anticipate some degree of societal collapse by the time I reach retirement (if such a thing is even still possible - stock market crash, economic depression, World War III... who knows).

It's the year 1957 and I'm a 25 year old engineer. I've been married to my high school sweetheart for three years now and have been working at the same company since graduating college. I have a generous benefits package and plan to stay with the same company until my nice fat pension kicks in around age 55 and I can enjoy a comfortable retirement puttering around in my shed and spending time with the grandchildren.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by 563 740 View Post
    +1

It's the year 2007 and I'm a 25 year old engineer. I've been dating for three years (my third serious relationship), am on my 4th job since graduation, don't have a retirement plan or company benefits (contract work), and really don't even know if engineering is my life plan or not. Frankly, I anticipate some degree of societal collapse by the time I reach retirement (if such a thing is even still possible - stock market crash, economic depression, World War III... who knows).

It's the year 1957 and I'm a 25 year old engineer. I've been married to my high school sweetheart for three years now and have been working at the same company since graduating college. I have a generous benefits package and plan to stay with the same company until my nice fat pension kicks in around age 55 and I can enjoy a comfortable retirement puttering around in my shed and spending time with the grandchildren.
    Nice, and so very true.

I see the same as you coming (societal collapse) before I reach retirement, too... In fact, I will be surprised if I make it to 40 before such a thing happens, and I feel like I'm living on borrowed time, like I need to get away and shore things up in preparation for it, but everything I would like to have in preparation is elusive due to the current state of things in the world.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTP

Even with a full-time "permanent" job, I never feel that I actually belong; I am forever anticipating when I will need to move on, because that has been the norm in my life rather than the exception.
    i can relate to this pretty well.

i haven't necessarily thought of joining the military for more structure as others have stated but the peace corps has definitely crossed my mind in recent years. bleh, i dunno. its not that i'm in a crisis or that i'm not reasonably happy w/ what i'm doing and where i am. its that i can imagine so much more, and i've even tasted some of what i could be and could be doing. but where i am now and where i want to be seem so far apart.

anyways, [/emorant]

MBTI
    infp

I'm 16 and I feel like I'm having a crisis, but that could be something else...

I don't know what I want to do... I always feel like there is some place I need to go but I don't know where it is so I'm just looking around for it. People all around me try to tell me where to go but it never sounds like its that place I'm bound for, its not the road I'm chasing.

Its the year 2009 and I just turned 26 a couple weeks back. Graduated from college with a business degree in 2005. I'm on my 3 job since graduation with several 4+ month durations of being unemployed. Though I enjoy the people at my current job, which is completely unrelated to my degree, and definantley not something i could see myself doing long term. Have a *slight* online gaming addiction. My entire family had high hopes for me. I was always the "good one"...The one that didn't smoke or drink. The one that got the best grades...blah blah blah. My cousins were the "bad ones", even their own parents frequently mentioned how they wished them to be more like me. Oh the pressure! I was supposed to be out of law school this year, but of course, I've yet to apply. Not that law school really interests me. Always something my family expected. Recently read about Pharmacist Consultants, but that would take 6 years to complete since I have to take science classes before even being eligible to apply to pharm school. Honestly, I have no passion for anything. So I just float along. Im not willing to give further schooling a chance until I find a passion somewhere, and I'm completely unhappy because I'm not willing to give further schooling a chance until I find a passion somewhere.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

JivinJeff,

There's actually a sociological term for it: "Quarter-Life Crisis." However, I think we can just extend it beyond quarter-life nowadays. (j/k)

I think a lot of this general feeling reflects the current state of the economy & social changes.. Even though it may not be obvious, the way society functions, effects us on a macro/micro level. After the boom of the internet, I think there's A LOT of lifestyle changes that effects the way we work, interact with others, this and that, overall quality of life, both pro/con. Really, we're living in a period of history where major change struck us pretty hard, pretty quick.

We can always maintain perseverance by staying focused on who we are, correct? Despite the rain, there will always be sunshine. As long as we keep remembering who we are, where we came from, where we want to be, I think that's the best way to enjoy life, regardless of our circumstances..

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Well, I'm not in my mid-20s yet, but I could tell you... time is surely flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I need to leave in a moment, but I think in the past people's lives were very much planned out for them, and they never hit a crisis until they felt the onset of middle/old age and realized they weren't happy.

Nowadays in our culture, we have SO many choices that I think it is bewildering, and we always feel as if we're missing something or not getting as much out of life as we could be. Hence, more confusion, earlier on. Kids are even living with their parents to much older ages, and waiting longer to marry as well.
    100% agreed.

... So many choices, ahh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    When you're a teenager, you have ambitious dreams you want to achieve, and when you graduate from high school, reality shows its ugly face.
    You can say that...

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by notTheOne View Post
    Its the year 2009 and I just turned 26 a couple weeks back. Graduated from college with a business degree in 2005. I'm on my 3 job since graduation with several 4+ month durations of being unemployed. Though I enjoy the people at my current job, which is completely unrelated to my degree, and definantley not something i could see myself doing long term. Have a *slight* online gaming addiction. My entire family had high hopes for me. I was always the "good one"...The one that didn't smoke or drink. The one that got the best grades...blah blah blah. My cousins were the "bad ones", even their own parents frequently mentioned how they wished them to be more like me. Oh the pressure! I was supposed to be out of law school this year, but of course, I've yet to apply. Not that law school really interests me. Always something my family expected. Recently read about Pharmacist Consultants, but that would take 6 years to complete since I have to take science classes before even being eligible to apply to pharm school. Honestly, I have no passion for anything. So I just float along. Im not willing to give further schooling a chance until I find a passion somewhere, and I'm completely unhappy because I'm not willing to give further schooling a chance until I find a passion somewhere.
    What do you do for fun and what are you naturally good at?
    Welcome btw

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Desire to have children??

... I had to read that. *sneezes*