First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    inspired how?
    Meaning your mind wasn't all blanked out, and you took advantage of the opportunity to try an explanation of it...

MBTI
    LoLz

My mind isn't blanked out when I'm alone at my computer. This happens in social situations on vent or in real life.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Very well put. I know exactly how this feels. Quite frustrating. Either I completely forget my point or I present it in an improper way which causes others to misunderstand me. Sometimes this will lead myself into confusion and I leave the conversation feeling like an idiot.
    Wrap Te around your Ni, like a mother cradling a gentle baby. Or appoint Te as your personal drill sergeant. Whichever you prefer.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Wrap Te around your Ni, like a mother cradling a gentle baby. Or appoint Te as your personal drill sergeant. Whichever you prefer.
    These problems I'm assuming are worse for especially IxTJs. We dispatch Te to tend to the outside world, so coupled with the irritation that a drained introvert has, we're the unfriendliest people in the world.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

My mind isn't blanked out when I'm alone at my computer. This happens in social situations on vent or in real life.
    Understood.

MBTI
    INxJ

These problems I'm assuming are worse for especially IxTJs. We dispatch Te to tend to the outside world, so coupled with the irritation that a drained introvert has, we're the unfriendliest people in the world.
    Yes. We are a miserable lot.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Na, I come across as pretty unfriendly, if I don't know you. For all that Fi, I'm not really a people person either.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INtP

I run out of fuel for social interactions and I hit that mind blank effect. I can't dig back into my memory to retrieve what I was going to say, and all the while I'm kicking myself because I'm being made out to look like someone who has no idea what they're saying.

I've subconsciously known about this problem my entire life. I spend more time preparing for conversations than improvising during them.
    A very good description of what happens to me too, Raz. I can think of several instances just over the last few days when this happened to me... trying to maintain a train of conversation and just locking up. I think that part of the problem is that, at least for me, it's sort of a positive feedback loop. When I start to lock up, I get embarrassed/stressed about it, and it just sort of magnifies the issue. So I try to prepare some conversation topics ahead of time, and that in itself just winds me up even ahead of time.

Anyway, after all this, how do other introverts here deal with this issue? I feel it's something I can't get rid of, but I can try to work around it. However, it cuts into my life a great amount
    I wish I had a really good answer for this... but like you say, I'm not sure it's something you can really get rid of. It certainly can chew into your confidence in social situations... the only tip I can think of is to try to pick and choose and/or manage your environment. If you can, retreat to a more private place, even if it's just a corner of a room instead of the center. I find that once I get to know people, it's not such a huge deal, but initially it's certainly difficult.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

To the OP;

I get that lock-up, mind drain effect all the time in social situations. Unfortunately, the field I'm going into places a very high value on spontaneous bursts of brilliance being borne out of conversation. This has lead people to think that I'm slow-witted, dumb, and/or otherwise less than qualified to be doing what I do. Luckily I get the chance to (more than) redeem myself when I turn in my written work.

This is especially true in situations where I don't know anyone really well, and there are just few enough people to make it clear that I'm the only one that hasn't contributed to the conversation. This pressure of having been spotted, combined with the pressure I was already experiencing, makes it twice as hard for me to say anything remotely intelligent in the moment. And like you said, I usually walk away feeling idiotic and doubting my own intellectual prowess. Then a few hours later I rationalize my performance as having been due to my mind wandering, or stress, or tiredness. It's really not pleasant.

Like kelric said, I don't know if there's anything to offer in the way of useful advice. I imagine that in social situations that you have some degree of control over, you will most likely be apt to use it to your advantage. Where you (and I) really need help is in situations where you can't easily find some way to isolate yourself and regroup.

Anyway, I'll stop my whining now.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Y'all need a wingman.