• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Power of Thought

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was watching the documentary/movie thing, "The Secret," thinking...what a load, and then I started to realized that it is actually something that I have been doing all of my life.

The easiest way for me to explain the idea would be to give an example, so here it is:
Let's say that I want to have a $300,000 house at some point in the future, so I get the thought in my head that I will have it, and overtime circumstances prevent themselves which allow me to reach my goal, and I eventually get the house.

There are two ways to look at this:
1. the stars align and everything turns out dandy
2. thinking this way causes you to subconciously make changes in your life that allow you to reach your goal

It sounds like a load of crap when you just say it bluntly, but in reality, I think we all do it to some extent. Ever since I have been little, I knew I was going to be rich, and when I say that I will have a lamborghini, I could just as soon be saying that the sky is blue. It feels like a fact, and I honestly have no doubts about it. Whether because of this or not, things have been working out in my favor for reaching these goals recently.

Concerning similar things, I have some friends who are complete naturals with girls and they always say something to the extent of, "I pretty much have no doubt that I can get that girl," and then they go do it.

I'm curious what all of your thoughts are on this...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This sounds like the power of suggestion. It's like people who believe in bad omens find their luck worsens after one occurs, but I think it's actually their belief that bad things will happen that causes them to occur. The same could be true of someone who is confident in their ability to get whatever they want. Is this helpful?

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Ever since I have been little, I knew I was going to be rich, and when I say that I will have a lamborghini, I could just as soon be saying that the sky is blue. It feels like a fact, and I honestly have no doubts about it.
That's so bizarre. I could have written that - although it isn't something I've ever told anyone else.

The Power of Thought is something I used to scoff at, no longer. Self hypnosis, positive self talk; it works. It has an impact on your life. The negative stuff, however, seems to works better and to have more of an impact :(

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm curious what all of your thoughts are on this...

Are you rich, or have a fancy car? :D

There is something to this, however I think there was some research back about how to rank potential achievement of goals. I'll try to summarize what I remember of it...

1) The chance (risk) of achieving something is always misunderstood by humans. That means that we constantly overstate or understate what we have to do. We are "middle creatures". We understand 50/50 well, but 10% less, 1% barely, 0.001% not at all. Likewise, we barely understand the concept of 99.9% probable. We just plain suck at odds.

2) Certain traits desire certain things and the traits are normally aligned with what they want. IOW, you will tend to achieve what you think about not only because you think about it, but because you are good at those things. Both parts are applicable. For example, as an INTJ, you are likely to accumulate wealth and power - it's your nature to do so. Since it is your nature, you also think about it. Thinking about it doesn't lead to it, it's your underlying nature that does.

3) Humans cannot "create" what doesn't exist in reality... Thinking about getting money in the mail won't simply create money. All it does is warp your perceptions - now you'll really notice the birthday checks you get in the mail and count how much you get over a year. In reality, nothing has changed other than your perception. This goes back to odds - we have a very large probability bias, in part due to our selective bias. We don't remember events equally.

4) Unlike "thinking", planning has a serious impact on your actions. This can be planning how to move up the work ladder to planning how to woo women. Planning works.

5) Goal setting alone can be useful... however, it is better used as a more powerful form of planning. If you derive a central goal (I want to have a million dollars), you will make some progress towards it. However, if you say you want a million dollars and actually create a tangible plan to move forward, the chance of this happening is huge.

6) Humans interact and goals conflict. Again, with odds, there will only be so many that achieve the same goal (normally they are exclusive - for example, not everyone can have a million bucks and still have a million bucks mean something). The odds of you achieving your goals is very hard to measure and it is easy to over or under estimate the chance of achieving it. Planning helps there too... but this ties back into probability. Getting a million dollars over a long period of time is quite easy, relatively speaking.

In any case, by using the more powerful tools, you are seperating yourself from the crowd. Simply thinking about something, like most people do, puts you in conflict with most of them but above those that don't. You'll have to out-compete them on equal terms, however, so you better be up for the challenge. However, by taking more tangible steps you increase your chances of overcoming the majority that don't by a huge margin. The more tangible the steps, the more likely you are to achieve your goals, normally through applied hard work or similar, by a huge amount.

Enough to say that those that plan are likely to achieve their goal; those that do not are unlikely to achieve their goals.

Same reason banks was business plans, etc. It simply works.

So in terms of the original. It may work, slightly, but it's only the start of what you can do to achieve your "goal".

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Metamorphosis: didn't you say you almost got arrested? I would think it would be difficult to become rich whilst in prison.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you rich, or have a fancy car? :D

working on it, and somewhat (vague, but the most accurate answer I can give)

1) The chance (risk) of achieving something is always misunderstood by humans. That means that we constantly overstate or understate what we have to do. We are "middle creatures". We understand 50/50 well, but 10% less, 1% barely, 0.001% not at all. Likewise, we barely understand the concept of 99.9% probable. We just plain suck at odds.

That's definately believable.

2) Certain traits desire certain things and the traits are normally aligned with what they want. IOW, you will tend to achieve what you think about not only because you think about it, but because you are good at those things. Both parts are applicable. For example, as an INTJ, you are likely to accumulate wealth and power - it's your nature to do so. Since it is your nature, you also think about it. Thinking about it doesn't lead to it, it's your underlying nature that does.

probably true based on experience, but it doesn't necessarily mean that what everyone wants is what they are already good at getting

3) Humans cannot "create" what doesn't exist in reality... Thinking about getting money in the mail won't simply create money. All it does is warp your perceptions - now you'll really notice the birthday checks you get in the mail and count how much you get over a year. In reality, nothing has changed other than your perception. This goes back to odds - we have a very large probability bias, in part due to our selective bias. We don't remember events equally.

True, but I'm not talking about creating things. I'm talking about reaching goals and getting tangible benefits that already exist. I'm thinking more about subconcious action than ancient alchemy.

4) Unlike "thinking", planning has a serious impact on your actions. This can be planning how to move up the work ladder to planning how to woo women. Planning works.

Yes, I think that planning is entirely necessary, but that doesn't mean that taking steps like the ones natrushka mentioned don't help significantly. It's like reframing your mind for confidence.

6) Humans interact and goals conflict. Again, with odds, there will only be so many that achieve the same goal (normally they are exclusive - for example, not everyone can have a million bucks and still have a million bucks mean something). The odds of you achieving your goals is very hard to measure and it is easy to over or under estimate the chance of achieving it. Planning helps there too... but this ties back into probability. Getting a million dollars over a long period of time is quite easy, relatively speaking.

The good thing is that a majority of people don't believe that they will ever get a million dollars, so I don't bother worrying about a limited supply.

In any case, by using the more powerful tools, you are seperating yourself from the crowd. Simply thinking about something, like most people do, puts you in conflict with most of them but above those that don't. You'll have to out-compete them on equal terms, however, so you better be up for the challenge. However, by taking more tangible steps you increase your chances of overcoming the majority that don't by a huge margin. The more tangible the steps, the more likely you are to achieve your goals, normally through applied hard work or similar, by a huge amount.

Ah, but this is what makes it fun. :devil:

So in terms of the original. It may work, slightly, but it's only the start of what you can do to achieve your "goal".

I agree with that, which is why I wasn't trying to imply that just thinking about getting a million dollars will make it appear, but I think it makes a significant difference.

To Mycroft: Yes, but I would emphasize almost.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To Mycroft: Yes, but I would emphasize almost.

Alls I'ma sayin' is that behavior with the potential to land you in the pokey seems like it would be at odds with the kind of long-term life planning required to become wealthy. (Unless you're taking the rapper route, in which case it would be great for your cred.)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
True, but I'm not talking about creating things. I'm talking about reaching goals and getting tangible benefits that already exist. I'm thinking more about subconcious action than ancient alchemy.

Perhaps not you, but "The law of attraction" / "The Secret" does. In any case, the main point is that it isn't the unconcious that creates it - it's the will to do it. Focusing the will on a tangible goal (ie: your goals are tangible, while "I want to be rich" is not) is the first step... a step that most people don't take. That's because every action you take will be geared around the goal to some degree.

However, in cases like "million dollars", one rarely jumps from pennies to swimming in money. In those kinds of cases, it is far harder for repeated actions without a plan to actually achieve the goal... Though that is countered by ability (ie: You are an INTJ which is a distinct advantage) and other factors.

So, in short, while it is true that thinking about the road ahead will encourage you to take it, to help you take it... an act of will can only carry you a short distance - the longer the distance, the more the need of a "map". The connection is that you can only take very small steps unconciously unless you are already deeply suited for the path you are taking (ie: a random road, but it happens that the road will work out for you).

Yes, I think that planning is entirely necessary, but that doesn't mean that taking steps like the ones natrushka mentioned don't help significantly. It's like reframing your mind for confidence.

Oh, don't get me wrong. There are a thousand individual things that will increase your chances. Positive thinking to training, IQ to personality, social skills to family connections.... they all matter. Certain things, like positive thinking, are more important than others... But other things, like dedication, superceded positive thinking (positive thinking is actually normally a condition found in those that are willing to work hard... but working hard is linked to personality and early conditioning in life...).

The good thing is that a majority of people don't believe that they will ever get a million dollars, so I don't bother worrying about a limited supply.

Perhaps not, but everyone wants money. That's worse than competing with only a handful of people for a particular goal.

I agree with that, which is why I wasn't trying to imply that just thinking about getting a million dollars will make it appear, but I think it makes a significant difference.

Yup, I was just talking probability. The people most likely to achieve their goals, in terms of factors, runs from Goal setting with planning, to planning, to goal setting. And this comes in degrees. Those that write it down and then execute are vastly more likely to achieve their goal than those that just plan in their head.

So I agree that it helps, however I also think that it has been shown that it is a starting point. And it doesn't sound to me like you are just thinking about it - doing is a form of limited planning, so even if you didn't think about the how, just the what, you would be a giant leg up on the competition.

(ps: I'll race yah :D )

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The nice thing about money is that, boy, there's just a whole lot of it out there. So while, yes, many people are indeed competing for it, there is enough for many people to become quite wealthy. It's not like competing for the one-and-only top spot in a competition.

Also, while it's true that everyone wants it, most people aren't actually prepared to do anything about it. When it comes to cash, most people are like the fat guy who wants to be thin but can't be bothered to do any exercise.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Gaining wealth is relatively easy. Being content with one's life is more difficult.

Here is the real "Secret". Even if the technique does get you the things you want, you may not be content once you get them. "The Secret" reminds me of the mice in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. "We don't want to be happy. We want to be famous."

Being content comes from the right mix of appreciating what you have and enjoying the journey to getting the things you want.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
The nice thing about money is that, boy, there's just a whole lot of it out there. So while, yes, many people are indeed competing for it, there is enough for many people to become quite wealthy. It's not like competing for the one-and-only top spot in a competition.

Also, while it's true that everyone wants it, most people aren't actually prepared to do anything about it. When it comes to cash, most people are like the fat guy who wants to be thin but can't be bothered to do any exercise.

Getting money is easy. So is keeping it. People do a lot for money - nearly everyone works - it's that most people won't sacrifice the immediate for the cumulative gains in the future. If it isn't part of your goal, it won't happen... the tendency is to spend close to your means, just above or below.

To translate the different tiers of how one "thinks" about money... - if you think about money, you might have a savings account. If you have a goal, you might have a retirement account. If you plan to your goal, you'll probably have a financial plan. This is almost exactly how the population distribution works with money, regardless of income range or society. Some people break this mold, yes, but on average that's how it works out. And of course, within each category are those that have made more tangible steps - automatic withdrawals, for example... I think of those as planning since they are simply a single act that projects into the future. It's probably better than writing something down, except that most people forget about the rest of the plan they need.

Is it easy? To achieve the goal, all you have to do is sacrifice the goods and services you could have now. You may not reach "the" goal, but that's the first step towards it. That's really not that easy, and that's from someone who is probably far more uptight about money than anyone else here. And it's not that easy to take an average salary and turn it into 1 million in anything less than 25 or so years. Not without a heavy burden imposed upon your lifestyle.

But back on the secret... the secret effectively says that if you think about money, money will show up. That's like hoping you'll win the lottery. It can happen, and just by buying the lottery you may win... but it's really not that effective. But of course, not to discourage positive thinking... but really, it's better to be realistic and with a plan than optimistic and full of energy.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Gaining wealth is relatively easy. Being content with one's life is more difficult.

Here is the real "Secret". Even if the technique does get you the things you want, you may not be content once you get them. "The Secret" reminds me of the mice in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. "We don't want to be happy. We want to be famous."

I have a very big dream that will require power and wealth to realize. Even if I should pass before realizing that dream, knowing that I'm on the path brings me happiness. Having this goal to live for gives my life purpose, and that brings me happiness.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Being content comes from the right mix of appreciating what you have and enjoying the journey to getting the things you want.

I understand what you are saying, but I think we have different thoughts on what being content is. I agree that we should appreciate what we have, but that doesn't mean that we should be content with it, that just takes away the drive for bigger and better things (not just physically).

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Personally do not care much about wealth, I see it only as a means to financial security, so that I won't have to worry about my material security anymore, other than that I consider material possessions to be fairly irrelevant.

I have a fairly good plan of what I want to accomplish and know that I have the intellectual capabilities to achieve what I set out for, though I struggle a little with the starting phase, not because I dont want to sacrifice now to gain latter, but because I have to work for people who I consider intellectually and character-wise to be beneath me and follow their orders and act nice to gain their respect and appreciation, which I find very difficult.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here is a common scenario:

Q: Would you run down the street with no clothes for $1 million?
A: No, I wouldn't; I have too much respect for myself to do something like that.

Anyone see a flaw in logic?

If you dismiss an opportunity to make a lot of money, you don't have respect for yourself!

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have a very big dream that will require power and wealth to realize. Even if I should pass before realizing that dream, knowing that I'm on the path brings me happiness. Having this goal to live for gives my life purpose, and that brings me happiness.

Yes this is exactly how I feel about it. A directionless life does not bring contentment. It's enjoying the journey toward the goal that makes one content. If you actually do accomplish your goal you will be happy for a while, but that feeling is fleeting. The journey brings more satisfaction than the accomplishment.

I actually have quite a few dreams that I want to accomplish and most of them require quite a bit of wealth to even get started on. Maybe I won't make it, or maybe I will accomplish everything I desire, but when I die all my accomplishments will disintegrate and be forgotton. It doesn't matter, because either way I enjoyed my journey. But without the goals I wouldn't enjoy the journey.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes this is exactly how I feel about it. A directionless life does not bring contentment. It's enjoying the journey toward the goal that makes one content. If you actually do accomplish your goal you will be happy for a while, but that feeling is fleeting. The journey brings more satisfaction than the accomplishment.

I actually have quite a few dreams that I want to accomplish and most of them require quite a bit of wealth to even get started on. Maybe I won't make it, or maybe I will accomplish everything I desire, but when I die all my accomplishments will disintegrate and be forgotton. It doesn't matter, because either way I enjoyed my journey. But without the goals I wouldn't enjoy the journey.

Sounds like we're on the same page then. I particularly agree with you when you say that if you were to accomplish your goal you would enjoy it briefly but then want to move on to something else. Fortunately, my goal is so pie-in-the-sky that even if I do manage to accomplish it, I can't fathom doing so before my twilight years. At that point I'll be wanting to take it easy 'til I croak anyhow.

the.blanket.on.top

Permabanned
Creating Altered States

That's so bizarre. I could have written that - although it isn't something I've ever told anyone else.

The Power of Thought is something I used to scoff at, no longer. Self hypnosis, positive self talk; it works. It has an impact on your life. The negative stuff, however, seems to works better and to have more of an impact :(

Creating Altered States

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here is a common scenario:

Q: Would you run down the street with no clothes for $1 million?
A: No, I wouldn't; I have too much respect for myself to do something like that.

Anyone see a flaw in logic?

If you dismiss an opportunity to make a lot of money, you don't have respect for yourself!

Hell, i'd do it for much less :shock: But then again, there is one problem. Who on God's earth would want to pay see me naked!?? :smile:

Uber, what's your lowest possible sum of money to run down a street, naked, in broad daylight? :D