User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    The nice thing about money is that, boy, there's just a whole lot of it out there. So while, yes, many people are indeed competing for it, there is enough for many people to become quite wealthy. It's not like competing for the one-and-only top spot in a competition.

Also, while it's true that everyone wants it, most people aren't actually prepared to do anything about it. When it comes to cash, most people are like the fat guy who wants to be thin but can't be bothered to do any exercise.
    Getting money is easy. So is keeping it. People do a lot for money - nearly everyone works - it's that most people won't sacrifice the immediate for the cumulative gains in the future. If it isn't part of your goal, it won't happen... the tendency is to spend close to your means, just above or below.

To translate the different tiers of how one "thinks" about money... - if you think about money, you might have a savings account. If you have a goal, you might have a retirement account. If you plan to your goal, you'll probably have a financial plan. This is almost exactly how the population distribution works with money, regardless of income range or society. Some people break this mold, yes, but on average that's how it works out. And of course, within each category are those that have made more tangible steps - automatic withdrawals, for example... I think of those as planning since they are simply a single act that projects into the future. It's probably better than writing something down, except that most people forget about the rest of the plan they need.

Is it easy? To achieve the goal, all you have to do is sacrifice the goods and services you could have now. You may not reach "the" goal, but that's the first step towards it. That's really not that easy, and that's from someone who is probably far more uptight about money than anyone else here. And it's not that easy to take an average salary and turn it into 1 million in anything less than 25 or so years. Not without a heavy burden imposed upon your lifestyle.

But back on the secret... the secret effectively says that if you think about money, money will show up. That's like hoping you'll win the lottery. It can happen, and just by buying the lottery you may win... but it's really not that effective. But of course, not to discourage positive thinking... but really, it's better to be realistic and with a plan than optimistic and full of energy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Gaining wealth is relatively easy. Being content with one's life is more difficult.

Here is the real "Secret". Even if the technique does get you the things you want, you may not be content once you get them. "The Secret" reminds me of the mice in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. "We don't want to be happy. We want to be famous."
    I have a very big dream that will require power and wealth to realize. Even if I should pass before realizing that dream, knowing that I'm on the path brings me happiness. Having this goal to live for gives my life purpose, and that brings me happiness.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    But back on the secret... the secret effectively says that if you think about money, money will show up.
    Yeah, I didn't agree with this part either. They took a good idea and mysticized it.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ

Being content comes from the right mix of appreciating what you have and enjoying the journey to getting the things you want.
    I understand what you are saying, but I think we have different thoughts on what being content is. I agree that we should appreciate what we have, but that doesn't mean that we should be content with it, that just takes away the drive for bigger and better things (not just physically).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Personally do not care much about wealth, I see it only as a means to financial security, so that I won't have to worry about my material security anymore, other than that I consider material possessions to be fairly irrelevant.

I have a fairly good plan of what I want to accomplish and know that I have the intellectual capabilities to achieve what I set out for, though I struggle a little with the starting phase, not because I dont want to sacrifice now to gain latter, but because I have to work for people who I consider intellectually and character-wise to be beneath me and follow their orders and act nice to gain their respect and appreciation, which I find very difficult.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Here is a common scenario:

Q: Would you run down the street with no clothes for $1 million?
    A: No, I wouldn't; I have too much respect for myself to do something like that.

Anyone see a flaw in logic?

If you dismiss an opportunity to make a lot of money, you don't have respect for yourself!

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I have a very big dream that will require power and wealth to realize. Even if I should pass before realizing that dream, knowing that I'm on the path brings me happiness. Having this goal to live for gives my life purpose, and that brings me happiness.
    Yes this is exactly how I feel about it. A directionless life does not bring contentment. It's enjoying the journey toward the goal that makes one content. If you actually do accomplish your goal you will be happy for a while, but that feeling is fleeting. The journey brings more satisfaction than the accomplishment.

I actually have quite a few dreams that I want to accomplish and most of them require quite a bit of wealth to even get started on. Maybe I won't make it, or maybe I will accomplish everything I desire, but when I die all my accomplishments will disintegrate and be forgotton. It doesn't matter, because either way I enjoyed my journey. But without the goals I wouldn't enjoy the journey.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Yes this is exactly how I feel about it. A directionless life does not bring contentment. It's enjoying the journey toward the goal that makes one content. If you actually do accomplish your goal you will be happy for a while, but that feeling is fleeting. The journey brings more satisfaction than the accomplishment.

I actually have quite a few dreams that I want to accomplish and most of them require quite a bit of wealth to even get started on. Maybe I won't make it, or maybe I will accomplish everything I desire, but when I die all my accomplishments will disintegrate and be forgotton. It doesn't matter, because either way I enjoyed my journey. But without the goals I wouldn't enjoy the journey.
    Sounds like we're on the same page then. I particularly agree with you when you say that if you were to accomplish your goal you would enjoy it briefly but then want to move on to something else. Fortunately, my goal is so pie-in-the-sky that even if I do manage to accomplish it, I can't fathom doing so before my twilight years. At that point I'll be wanting to take it easy 'til I croak anyhow.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Banned

Default Creating Altered States

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    That's so bizarre. I could have written that - although it isn't something I've ever told anyone else.

The Power of Thought is something I used to scoff at, no longer. Self hypnosis, positive self talk; it works. It has an impact on your life. The negative stuff, however, seems to works better and to have more of an impact
    Creating Altered States

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Here is a common scenario:

Q: Would you run down the street with no clothes for $1 million?
    A: No, I wouldn't; I have too much respect for myself to do something like that.

Anyone see a flaw in logic?

If you dismiss an opportunity to make a lot of money, you don't have respect for yourself!
    Hell, i'd do it for much less But then again, there is one problem. Who on God's earth would want to pay see me naked!??

Uber, what's your lowest possible sum of money to run down a street, naked, in broad daylight?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come