User Tag List

12 Last

Oberon

Default Limitations of Type

After having read a fair survey of forum posts and topics, I notice that it's common for us to extrapolate all sorts of things from type. This tendency to read type into every aspect of a person's life is likely a distortion of the way people really work, if not outright incorrect.

For example, there are many factors that typing simply cannot take into account.

Intelligence is not a function of type (though test-taking ability may have a limited correlation). Likes, dislikes, and desires are only partly linked to type. Type does not account for acculturation, training, or life experience. Type does not correlate with physical or mental pathology.

Yet all of these things can and do influence an individual's decision-making process.

What are other ways in which personality typing is limited?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

Age - you're not the same INTP at the age of 18, 30, 45 and 70 etc. You can even change type meanwhile.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    What are other ways in which personality typing is limited?
    Overall character

One of the most flawed paths these discussions can go down is to assume morality is related to type. This comes out as one type being amoral, another is evil, etc. Type has to do with how information is processed, not what one chooses to value.

The second limitation of type discussions is their black-and-white nature. We get into all or nothing statements which lead to the ridiculous. Reducing temperament to 16 types gives us a lower resolution image of humanity. This is useful to enable us to manipulate and examine the pieces in manageable boundaries. If the pieces do not accurately capture the underlying principles, or if accurate principles are made too simplistic and absolute, then it's an exercise in futility. It is the study of approximation.

This is how i think of type descriptions:

Or when the theory is treated as far too simple and absolute:
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    One of the most flawed paths these discussions can go down is to assume morality is related to type. This comes out as one type being amoral, another is evil, etc. Type has to do with how information is processed, not what one chooses to value.
    ... but ESFJs *are* evil...!

Seriously, though, I agree. There are definitely tendencies that can be described for each type -- their pitfalls, their strengths as people, what choices are hard for them, what sort of spirituality tends to feel more authentic to them -- but in terms of "good" vs. "bad" we are all on a level playing field.

The second limitation of type discussions is their black-and-white nature. We get into all or nothing statements which lead to the ridiculous. Reducing temperament to 16 types gives us a lower resolution image of humanity. This is useful to enable us to manipulate and examine the pieces in manageable boundaries. If the pieces do not accurately capture the underlying principles, or if accurate principles are made too simplistic and absolute, then it's an exercise in futility. It is the study of approximation.
    Yes, exactly. Patterns necessarily discard details and focus merely on the generalizations or points of overlap. This allows us to make general predictions, have large broad understandings of things, but it is very much like trying to describe a particular description by only offer the algebraic/differential equation that lies underneath without providing any of the variable values. The equation is generic and needs to be that way, but life comes in the specifics and allows us to distinguish one thing from another.

Likewise, if you write a book where all the characters are pure archetypes, they do not come across as people -- they are generic and bland stereotypes. Life is in the details.

Or when the theory is treated as far too simple and absolute:
    Ummm... HR Puffenstuff and... Shelly Winters?
    (Or maybe Alice Cooper and Lief Garrett?)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I would be the first to concede that type is limited. But the reason it is discussed so much here is partially to improve it, and partially because it is a common language to express our views on something, since most of us understand it.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

It also doesn't take into account the person you want to be or the one you perceive yourself to be.

It's easy to 'fake' who you are inorder to make others like you and be accepting of you......
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    It also doesn't take into account the person you want to be or the one you perceive yourself to be.

It's easy to 'fake' who you are inorder to make others like you and be accepting of you......
    Or, indeed, the opposite - certain individuals seem to use typology as an excuse for being outrageously offensive to others.
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    Actually, I think the person you want to be is the unconscious indicator of your type. Because what you want is often an expression of who you are inside. Think of this way of typing as figuring out your MBTI Moon Sign.

And theoretically, the whole questionnaire is about your self-perception. Think of this way of typing as figuring out your MBTI Sun Sign.

And I guess some would take the test based on how others perceive them, in which case, I'd probably be an ENTP. I think of this way of typing as the MBTI Rising Sign. Inside, I'm an INTJ, but on the outside, I have the same exact functions, but they're focused in opposite directions.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Interesting way to see it.

What I find extremely interesting is how the ENTP can mask as an INTJ... it made me understand why I chose my entp

I find it difficult to equate all these things to astrological differences, I mean I understand it and can see where you're going with it, but it's not really my things so I just have to think a little more.

I made the comments I did b/c I have masked me for many years, and as of late the mask came off and I see who I really am and not who others have tried to make me, and not who I have tried to make me. There's nothing like 'shying' away from your type and who you are.... :eek:
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

MBTI is about how you organize information at an unconscious level. It's not a personality type, which I quite like about it.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --