User Tag List

123 Last

Lightbulb Bodylanguage and its purpose

To be honest I am not sure that I understand the bodylanguage thing.
    Many times people said to me things about it, but this way of communication is more or less out of my reach.

The thing is that if someone says something to me I dont pay any atention to this. Which is because I am thinking about what that person said and looking at the context in which was said. Unless that person is doing something that is quite noticable.

I don't have any problems with picking persons mood but to tell you the truth I am not paying attention to this.

The thing is that I have to compare the data with my data base which is large and if I don't do it I will have nothing to say. Not to mention that I am obsessed with searching for holes.

On the other hand people said to me that I am walking enigma even when I am in social mode. This is probably because I am reserved and don't do things that could come in this category that much.

So
    1.Why do you find bodylanguage important part of communication or why don't you find it important?

2.What frustrates you about deficit of bodylanguage in communication?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Mix with people and pay attention to it. I highly doubt there's any academic way to illustrate it with which you'd come away with more than 25% the knowledge as with that.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Honestly I find body language to be a more genuine form of communication. If I'm out somewhere and approached, I'm trying to decipher as much as I can about the person and their intentions, and just trying to gather data. I am inherently skeptical about what people say, so I'll look at body language to determine the point/their motive in the conversation in the first place.

It's one of the reasons I hate talking over the phone. I think I'm missing out.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Honestly I find body language to be a more genuine form of communication. If I'm out somewhere and approached, I'm trying to decipher as much as I can about the person and their intentions, and just trying to gather data. I am inherently skeptical about what people say, so I'll look at body language to determine the point/their motive in the conversation in the first place.

It's one of the reasons I hate talking over the phone. I think I'm missing out.

Ditto.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I actually think body language is pretty freakin easy to figure out if you're paying attention. But a lot of the time I'm not, and it doesn't register.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think i trust body language almost more then someone's words because i think it's unintentional and more honest.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Some body language is really easy to read, just by putting yourself in that person's shoes. So if a girl is unnecessarily touching you while talking to you, for example you know she wants you to rail her likes you. Or, if she keep looking away from you and isn't smiling, she's probably feeling awkward. Then there's the BS level of body language, imo, where crossed arms are a sign of defensiveness and open legs mean attraction. I don't really buy into that stuff as much.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

So
    1.Why do you find bodylanguage important part of communication or why don't you find it important? Body language is a very key part of communication. Most of the time it matches with what they are saying like,
    "oh I am so excited too see the baby!!
    But sometimes it doesn't match.
    "oh I am so excited to see the baby.
    Which one are you going to believe? I think its estimated that about (10%?) or so of communication is not in spoken word. You have to take tone, facial expression and some body language into consideration. I would agree with Edahn that there is some BS info. out there on body language. Crossing your arms or something like that could mean anything. You have to put everything into the context.

2.What frustrates you about deficit of bodylanguage in communication?
    Its not common for people to show no body language or expression in communication, some people are less expressive with their body than others. That's a quirk that doesn't bother me much.
    But when someone's body language is not matching up at all with what they are saying it really bugs me. I like everything to flow and match properly to feel that the conversation is going well, since I don't like to play guessing games about what people are trying to tell me purely through their body language if their words aren't matching up.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

1. Subtleties, and the impressions it gives people. Just because I'm not looking at you doesn't mean I'm lying.

2. Some sarcasm. It seems so literal at times. We should pop SARCASM HORNS out or something...
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThatGirl

I'm fascinated with body language. It can give quiet valuable information, but to really understand it, you have to take in a perspective twenty times larger than just the physical movement alone. I agree with Edahn, the crossed arms things and such that you would read in books really don't do the concept justice.