• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bodylanguage and its purpose

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I agree with you anja and I think that certain body language can have different interpretation in different circumstances. I think that it has to be used in combination with your intuition and knowledge of the person and what they may be going through at the time. For example sometimes (esp maybe with Is), their body langauge is more to do with something internally they are thinking about or something that's going on with them but people who are used to reacting to external environments may then interpret it wrongly and out of context... It's weird on line also because I am very expressive with my face and body langauge and so I realise that I often fail to convey some of the things that i mean here... and probably fail to understand others. This forum tests your command of written communication... mine leaves some to be desired :( compounded by the fact that I always type whilst doing two other things and never check anything before I post... including when I start threads Whoops :D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
me too wild...almost never hit that review button or bother to read it first! do you reply 1sec after you read too? it's so funny to me the i/e difference there. :D

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I agree with you anja and I think that certain body language can have different interpretation in different circumstances. I think that it has to be used in combination with your intuition and knowledge of the person and what they may be going through at the time. For example sometimes (esp maybe with Is), their body langauge is more to do with something internally they are thinking about or something that's going on with them but people who are used to reacting to external environments may then interpret it wrongly and out of context... It's weird on line also because I am very expressive with my face and body langauge and so I realise that I often fail to convey some of the things that i mean here... and probably fail to understand others. This forum tests your command of written communication... mine leaves some to be desired :( compounded by the fact that I always type whilst doing two other things and never check anything before I post... including when I start threads Whoops :D

Proof right there. The above is mostly rambling, but does convey a few thoughts. Does the extravert vocalizing their thought process idea hold true online also? :) Would the introverts be much more likely to prepare what they type in their head, even a few seconds of thought, before typing?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
apparently so raz. i don't think we think before we type...at least it doesn't seem that she and i do.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I don't pay much attention to body language. Maybe sometimes....

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It looks that I am not so bad since voice comes to this category but I did not place it there.
What I wanted to say is that I don't pay too much attention to phisycal details of communication.

As for touching hands that is something I would notice for sure, since it never happened.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
So
1.Why do you find bodylanguage important part of communication or why don't you find it important? Body language is a very key part of communication. Most of the time it matches with what they are saying like,
"oh I am so excited too see the baby!!:static:
But sometimes it doesn't match.
"oh I am so excited to see the baby. :huh:
Which one are you going to believe? I think its estimated that about (10%?) or so of communication is not in spoken word. You have to take tone, facial expression and some body language into consideration. I

A:Body language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some researchers put the level of nonverbal communication as high as 80 percent of all communication. More reasonably it could be at around 50-65 percent. That’s exactly what Mehrabian discovered in his communication study. He found that only 7 percent of communication comes from spoken words, 38 percent is from the tone of the voice, and 55 percent comes from body language. However, Mehrabian was only referring to cases of expressing feelings or attitudes, such as when a person says "I do not have a problem with you!" when people commonly focus on the tone of voice, and body language of the person, rather than the actual words said. It is a common misconception that these percentages apply to all communication

B:FOX Broadcasting Company: LIE TO ME

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Aww I'll touch your hand antisocial!! Yea thanks Raz for the rave review of my post.. can always count on you to keep my pecker up :D Yea completely Erina. I just read a thread and then start typing... sometimes I will read a bit of it and just start typing, then reread some of the topic and realise that my reply was inappropriate somehow - oh the joys of being an 'E' hahaha

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha...me too...if it's really long i'll just scan over it usually and don't even always know how i feel about it until i see it typed...haha

and you did NOT just say keep your pecker up!!! my god i love you and your silly ways! haha

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
LOLOLOLOL AWWW thanks I need to hang about with you more often :wubbie: As I said before only an ENFP can take 'silly' as such a mega compliment right hahahaha

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ haha...i was just kidding...i'm sure you're aware...was just sayin.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what's easy? knowing when we're kidding or confusing us when you are?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well yeah...i'm almost always kidding...haha

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
For those of you interested in pursuing body language, subtleties of speech, the controversial topic of neurolinguistics is an interesting one. Wiki has an entry.