• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Descriptive passages

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You know those parts of books that provide the setting, the passages that go into detail about where things are in a room, or where buildings and streets are in a city. Even though they're great for putting things into place in your mind, I find my mind not sticking with those descriptions as I keep reading. I mean, even though they told me on page 52 that "John walks this direction to go to work," in my mind I still picture his office building on the other side of the street. My mind meets resistance when I try to picture it otherwise, and kind of defaults back to my incorrect picture.

It's like when the author says "John walks into his house," I automatically picture what the house looks like. Then the author starts to describe the house in detail, but it's too late. He can't change the way I see the house, as I've already created how the details look in my mind.

What's going on there? Anyone find this familiar to their own reading experiences?

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I find that very familiar. If its an important detail, I might focus to reimagine it so that things make more spatial sense. If John is stuck in traffic on his way to work, i'd picture him on a highway rather than unable to back out of his driveway and so I might want to put the conscious effort to right my err. Otherwise, if I don't find the detail important (and just sometimes I can't change my mental image) then yeah I stick with the flaw.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess another point is that if they wouldn't expect us to remember those things, the author wouldn't have mentioned them. The author must have mentioned them for a reason, right?

But if this happens to all of us when we read, then the authors are really wasting their time, it looks like.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Eh, it depends, sometimes my mental image is fuzzy at first and I haven't thought of more of the house except the doorway and with the authors descriptive clues I'm able to piece together a more solid image and fill in the blanks with good ol' imagination.

Gauche

Yeah I keep my own mental image, then author describe something in detail and I'm confused:D

It was like in Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, when about a half of the book were descriptions of fishes they saw from the living room of the submarine through the window. I think they just needed to thicken the book or something:huh:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's what I love about books that you lose in movies. I tend to ignore anything inconsequential that contradicts the image I have in my head if I'm absorbed by a book.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Yep, same here. I think that's why I usually prefer books that are really light on descriptive details. IMO, really good authors are ones who generate really vivid mental imagery with minimal description.