User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Transactional Analysis (TA)

"With Transactional Analysis, Eric Berne made complex interpersonal transactions understandable especially the "games" that the "inner child" plays in order to gain recognition from others.

The TA therapistís task is to help the person to regain its inner childís innate "Okness" so that it will be able to obtain the recognition or "strokes" --in short, the love--that it needs and so that the whole person can function in a positive manner. As consultants, educators and organizers, transactional analysts with their skills in analyzing transactional patterns are able to understand, predict and help improve peopleís communication and productivity."

This stuff is really cool. Watch the videos. Rather good!

[YOUTUBE="b2ScDQx5ndw"]Video 1[/YOUTUBE]
    Video 2: Unhealthy Relationships
    Video 3: Games

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yes, I agree that it's awesome. I read two books from Berne, and they both left me completely satisfied and hopeful in psychology, something that doesn't happen often.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Which would you recommend as a primer?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

"Games people play" is definitely the best imho
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP

What a great theory, because it serves as a window into the other dimensions of your style of judgment, so that you do not get locked into feeling like you do things just one wayg, which is often a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just like you were talking about, when I said I was afraid of intimacy. My Child that wants to please my parents feels guilt in regard to intimacy, but that isn't always how I feel about it.

Thanks for sharing.

MBTI
    INFP

Yes. Good topic. Very useful in recovering from victimization issues.

I'll summarize briefly for the video challenged. (Didn't take time to watch.)

Three ways we can relate to another person:
    1. Through our Child
    2. Through our Parent
    3. Through our Adult.

Then the various permutations regarding the mix you get depending on how the other is speaking to you.

The goal for healthy communication, of course, is functioning through our mature adult. That's a balanced relationship. No one inferior/superior.

A snide aside: At times this forum can be a veritable salad bar of mind games! Yum.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP

Looks interesting.

ThatGirl

Yeah, see here is my take on the whole thing.

If I see a sunbather, I may decide hey thats looks like fun, why didn't I think of that? Then go get naked and do the same. I reserve the right to allow my adult self ultimate freedom of choice and utmost impulsiveness.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I actually hear that. I don't know enough to respond. I have a feeling that I'll end up modifying the ego states a little bit to reflect what I already understand about human nature. But, even though I have reservations about marginalizing the "playful child," I think people do shift into states of the embarrassed, ashamed child, and recognizing that in order to improve it seems to make sense.

MBTI
    INFP

I think that's the point, Edahn. We have all those parts within our psychological structure. And we seek a healthy balance among them.

When we operate out of our parent state, as I often do with my aged mother, I want to operate from my "healthy parent." The one who takes charge because the child needs to be taken care of. And not the "unhealthy parent" who manipulates the child for their own ego needs.

When I want to frisk about and let my healthy playful child out she is attended by the "healthy adult" who watches for her safety. Should I unwisely, or unwittingly, let my unhealthy child out to play she'll, for sure, be selfish and demanding and get the "big me" into trouble. I may then slip into my unhealthy parent and shame myself.

My husband has a very strong parent persona in him and he uses it in a watchful and safe manner most of the time. When he slips into his unhealthy parent, do I ever have a struggle not responding to him out of my whiny, rebellious unhealthy child!

Not having watched the video still, I'm not sure whether what I am saying is in line with what's offered or not. Just some of my understanding of TA.

Does that help, That Girl? It's not an either/or but rather an integration of our healthy adult, child and parent aspects. I think the two which get us into the most interpersonal trouble are the child/parent ones.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer