User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The video seemed to suggest that the goal was to become the adult, rather than the healthier version of Child and Parent. Is that what you're saying?

ThatGirl

yes, I mean i can understand the cause and effect aspect of the interactions and the patterns of certain behaviors, but at the same time, I get anoyed with the labeling of certain behaviors into preferential catagories as examples. Like your goal is to do this if you are to be this. I don't think it always works that way, and I think people who define others through this so called understanding are missing out on the bigger picture.

The video was accurate in defining patterns of behavior but I think essentially the goal is distorted, or it at least held subtle propaganda for a "better" way of reacting.

MBTI
    INFP

Well, there are better ways of reacting. I drop the "re." Heh. It's one model of many to chose from.

Yes, Edahn. As I typed I realized that I couldn't remember if the final goal was to integrate all parts into the healthy adult. That makes sense. In that case the healthy child and healthy parent would be of a part with the healthy adult.

Dang. Now I've gotta go watch the blasted video I suppose. A moment.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Yes, you are correct Edahn. I watched the relationship one. Funny how sometimes I think I've got a handle on something and then as I begin to talk about it, realize that I've forgotten.

Didn't he do a good job of explaining? I think so.

I especiallly liked the remark about discomfort and staying in the here and now. The being present in the moment is a lot more difficult than it sounds. But I do think it is that sense of sudden jarring discomfort in a relationship which is the key to recognizig when I've slipped into a different state than my healthy adult state.

And his comment about staying connected was useful. Too often these cross interactions lead to a cold silence/disconnection between people.

And, whoa! Did I hear him slip in a little passive/aggressive zinger there toward the end? Hah. Psychologists are people too.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

That makes sense about integrating them all into a healthy adult.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

The ego states map nicely to the theory of 8 function/archetypes in the following way:

Healthy Adult = Heroic (Dominant) Function #1
    Healthy Parent = Good Parent (Auxiliary) Function #2
    Healthy Child = Paer/Puella (Tertiary) Function #3

Unhealthy Adult = Oppositional Function #5
    Unhealthy Parent = Witch/Senex Function #6
    Unhealthy Child = Trickster Function #7

See this thread for more info:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...functions.html
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush