User Tag List

First 234

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    If anything, my Si's gotten shot to hell while Fe's gotten slightly better.

In other words, function order is bunk and so is "Development of functions."
    Maybe this means you're a disgruntled, chronically unhappy/unsuccessful ENTP? :yim_phbbbbt:

However, considering your posts here, I fail to see the slightest trace of Fe within you, but I'm probably wrong.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Anyway.

As Whatever pointed, developping my tertiary Fe was, at first contact, a necessity. I just needed to be less immature and unsufferable, so I could get more easily accepted by most people. And furthermore, it also allowed me to spend less energy coping with stress and societal norms (I think norms and bureaucracy are never really understood by ENTPs, and hence they often represent a very big issue for us).

So, I'd say this function first developped as a tool, from a very utilitarian point of view.

---

But then, I'd say that in my late teens, some (tragic) personal events forced my tertiary to evolve more quickly than expected. This was a true revolution for me, when you suddenly become conscious of everything you missed so far.

And by now, my Fe is supposed to be excellent (almost on a par with my Ti), according to the cognitive tests and my close friends (who are more concerned than mere tests, aren't they?).

And here is the curious part: because as I said earlier, my Fe was first rather utilitarian, but now, well... Now I'd say I'm beginning to feel a real empathy towards people, even if I can't understand or justify why. It's not faked or forced anymore. It just comes more naturally than in my memories.
    And what's even stranger, is the fact that the more I use this Fe, the more confortable and confident I get, the more I feel "like a responsible adult" (although a very weird one, nonetheless ).

For me, my tertiary Fe manifests itself like a spontaneous drive to help people wherever I sense that this help might be needed. I'm more aware of what's going on around me, and can now react within a split second. I'm more patient and more tolerant than ever (1), and feel more at ease when I have to display my emotions in public. I've learned not to repress them any more, or almost.

Again, it doesn't mean I've accepted societal norms, since I'm still very awkward with them: however high my Fe could be, I do not think I will ever use it like a natural Dom or secondary user.
    Because when I use my Fe, it's almost in a childish way, in a very pure form, thus I think I may paradoxally look more sincere than they are (2).

And while speaking of them, I'd also say that my communication skill with children greatly improved. 15 years ago, let's say it wasn't so easy to be around them.

I'll conclude by saying that as a university lecturer who cares a great deal about the students he's responsible for (especially during their thesis), my tertiary has eventually become an essential function to keep my audience captivated, motivated or simply entertained!

---

(1) Well, not always when the subject is purely academic.

(2) Perhaps that could explain why the theory says that the older we get, the more visible our tertiary is when we superficially deal with people?
    In the same way, my father, who is a Dom-Fe user (ENFJ), looks more and more like a very well-grounded, stable, rational intellectual [Se-Ti], even if I know that his true nature is rather very seductive and quite temperamental. He was one of the leaders of the maoist movement during the may 68 events in France; a rather wild youth, isn't it!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    Those of you who have developed these functions, how do you believe their growth has affected your perception/interaction of the world?
    You can take them very far indeed... and it's not just limited to tertiary and inferior... you can equally work on the shadows.

I've also noticed in terms of development... you can get a better (or I should say, a more complete) grasp of your tertiary function than your inferior. For me, my use of Se is "trained" but only in certain aspects.

There's two main aspect to Se awareness: detection and discrimination. I'm quite good at detecting and locating objects if I put my mind to it. But discrimination (e.g. telling something is different... focusing on all the details) I do very poorly on.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Maybe this means you're a disgruntled, chronically unhappy/unsuccessful ENTP? :yim_phbbbbt:

However, considering your posts here, I fail to see the slightest trace of Fe within you, but I'm probably wrong.
    Or maybe, I'm tired enough of dealing with pompous f's like you without a shred of independent creative thought that I fail to see the benefit of the benefit of the doubt.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Hell, I'd really love to be able to develop my Te even more (or Si for that matter). Are there really ways in which you can develop it actively? Or does it just come with time and experience?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.