User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 42

  1. #21
    Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Rather it's the belief that if I tell others everything, I'll reach a certain point where I have nothing left to add. Is this a false belief?
    No, unfortunately it is not. It's rather true.
    Some people like to hear new stuff once in a while, and when you told them everything about yourself it can happen that you get "boring" and they either don't talk to you so much anymore or stop completely. I have experienced that myself a couple of times. And I must say I was on both sides already: the one being bored and also the boring one.

    What I did to stop this is the following: Instead of telling people everything about myself right away, I let them ask what they want to know. AND additionally I will reveal them some things as some sort of bonus. You kinda have to pay attention, that you grade all the information about you over a longer time span. This way you won't get bored or boring too fast.
    What also helps is, if you have contact thru mails instead of chats, phone or every day communication. Because a mail is like a letter: it takes longer to respond, which won't allow you to give away too much information at once.

    I know that sometimes it is quite hard to keep back, but you should give it a shot. It's much cooler because you can discover the other person (or let yourself get discovered) much longer.

    Whatever I do, my rule is to not give away everything at once, but to steadily raise the information. =)
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

    Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

    ESTP? o.O

  2. #22
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    That's certainly a different view GL. Thanks
    Does anybody else share his sentiment?

  3. #23
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    For me, I always fear that if I reveal too much, people will have more power over me than I would like. I always like to control the amount of information people have that affects me...

    I think this all started when I was walking home from school one day when I was like 10 and realized "holy shit, knowledge really is power. if I don't give my parents knowledge about me, they won't have as much power over me."

  4. #24
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GargoylesLegacy View Post
    What I did to stop this is the following: Instead of telling people everything about myself right away, I let them ask what they want to know. AND additionally I will reveal them some things as some sort of bonus. You kinda have to pay attention, that you grade all the information about you over a longer time span. This way you won't get bored or boring too fast.
    That's an interesting attitude... it does sound quite unnatural, though. If I did this it would be an effort, and I don't like to feel that kind of pressure. It is strange, though, that I don't usually share that much with other people IRL, so you might say I already do this but not consciously.

    I agree that it can get boring, but I disagree on why it gets boring. It isn't like the stuff will run out, it just can't get any deeper anymore, and no one will take the step back to shallow, because the common deep topic is gone.

    Another thing, maybe related to this topic that I have experienced is that when you meet someone who at one point "knew it all", it can get awkward because you changed a lot and they treat you based on outdated "knowledge"... Well.. Not like the end of the world but a nasty side effect of this kind of sharing.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    The thing is... even if people do get closer by sharing, it can get to a point that all you talk about is something "deep" and when there isn't any more truly truly deep stuff, everything feels a bit empty. So, the danger is that you fool yourself to believe that talking about your soul or stuff like that is the only thing that matters. It isn't more valuable subject than what you had for dinner. Sometimes I feel like people who talk deep are just trying to take a shortcut. It can backfire, I tell you...

    I agree that it can get boring, but I disagree on why it gets boring. It isn't like the stuff will run out, it just can't get any deeper anymore, and no one will take the step back to shallow, because the common deep topic is gone.
    This definitely stood out to me, being a nice kick back to reality.

    All friendships will eventually return back to topics that are deemed somewhat shallow? Is this 100% certainty?

  6. #26
    I am Sofa King!!! kendoiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Anything I say can and will be used against me.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

    "They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

  7. #27
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    All friendships will eventually return back to topics that are deemed somewhat shallow? Is this 100% certainty?
    The topics, yeah, they will. But the topics of discussion are not what defines the friendship shallow or deep.

  8. #28
    Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    That's an interesting attitude... it does sound quite unnatural, though. If I did this it would be an effort, and I don't like to feel that kind of pressure.
    Hm, well it wasn't too hard for me personally. Because it was just a thing I needed to change. Because the least thing I want, is stuff to be boring, or rather ME to be boring. For my own sake I mean. I want myself to be interesting (not measured by others, but by myself), so in the end it wasn't too unnatural. For me at least. =)

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I agree that it can get boring, but I disagree on why it gets boring. It isn't like the stuff will run out, it just can't get any deeper anymore, and no one will take the step back to shallow, because the common deep topic is gone.
    Yep, true. I guess I didn't explain it too well or better yet forgot to mention that. Thanks! =)

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Another thing, maybe related to this topic that I have experienced is that when you meet someone who at one point "knew it all", it can get awkward because you changed a lot and they treat you based on outdated "knowledge".
    Personally, I kinda hate that. Especially if you changed something about yourself that was "bad" and people still keep treating you like the last ass on earth. Tho, gladly not all people are like that. There are those people I like to call "archeologysts", who will dig on you. And so of course they will also dig when you changed. It's awesome.
    Personally I try to do the same. I am very forgiving. At least as long as people are honest to me and stand up for their faults; stick to it. You get the point.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

    Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

    ESTP? o.O

  9. #29
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild horses View Post
    See now I have this off to a fine art - I let people think that I am an open book but really I am far from it. DOn't know why I am secretive, always have been from a child.. Is it to do with type, I'm not sure as some of the other ENFPs I have met seem pretty open and honest but then again they could be playing the game too!
    I know another ENFP exactly like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Anything I say can and will be used against me.
    +1

    I find that I share different aspects of myself with different ppl. No one person knows it all. It's a power/trust thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  10. #30
    Senior Member LostInNerSpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    I'm very secretive, myself. I don't think anything about me is anybody's business but my own. I share if I feel like it or have a reason. It's not an overstatement to say people who have read a lot of my posts on this forum would know more about me than a lot of my own family. I never really have any intention of sharing. I don't see what difference it would make either way to a bunch of random internet Avatars.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Too much of an introvert
    By whimsical in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 07:22 PM
  2. Fear: Better to have too much or too little?
    By Nonsensical in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 10:50 AM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 01:40 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 07:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO