User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    LoLz

Default Introverts, find yourself oblivious to the world often?

I'm curious how often other introverts experience these same things.

For instance, do people ever ask you if anything's wrong going just by your silence?

Like, for me, I usually listen to music a lot in the car, but at times, I get in my car, and I've left my radio station on my fm transmitter station, which causes a lot of static if my iPod isn't plugged in. I'll drive for like 15 minutes before I notice there's no music because I was just so busy thinking.

Or, like, if you're walking somewhere, and you completely pass up where you were going because you were lost in your thoughts.

I know things like this happen to me a lot. I'm just so stuck daydreaming that I look around and go, "wait, what's going on?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

All the time, as a matter of fact this is my lifestyle.

Every day I isolate myself from other for a 6+ hours just so that I could think about things or study something.
    I am a person that needs almost no stimulation form out side to function properly.

People have a very hard time to understand this way of functioning. Which is mostly because they don't understand my interests.

garbage

I empathize with the OP, but I think it's the sensotard in me that brings that out..

MBTI
    INTP

Constantly. The scope of things I'm attuned to externally is very minimal, especially in the moment. It's actually one of the first things most people notice and mention about me during both extended and initial interactions. In fact, in high school I would even say it was more pronounced and a lot of people (classmates) took some measure of joy in observing me.

I'm very much an idea oriented, aloof, detached, and tangential person and it was jarring to the more predominant SJ environment back then. I would only sort of "activate" myself to answer certain questions or discuss my musings or theories in classes I found interesting. I think the contrast was what was so shocking in others eyes, because when I'm up for it I can articulate my thoughts in a more involved and intricate manner. That is the total opposite of my general demeanor and my lack of interest in engaging unless absolutely necessary. Frequency and constancy are other things that are not in my skill set when it comes to social interactions, I hate being held to that standard. I like the freedom of picking my spots. I think that massive divide in terms of "personalities" is what is shocking to the "world."
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Depends on what I'm thinking about. Once in a while I will zone out as described, and other times I'll be ridiculously attuned to my surroundings.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

In answer to the the OP questions, Everyday. I can quite happily go days without speaking to people and not even notice.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    IsTP

I remember In two jobs with completely different crews I earned the name 'space cadet' for instances where I'd pause in thought and just stare blankly at nothing.

When I just started college I knew nobody and hated the floor I was on (somehow I got lumped in with the 'too cool for school lot'), so I'd play a little game where I'd see how long I could go without speaking, my record was two and a half days, broken by my mom calling.

I'm perfectly comfortable being on my own, and often over periods of time I'll put off engagements with friends just to be home and relax for a while.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    In answer to the the OP questions, Everyday. I can quite happily go days without speaking to people and not even notice.
    When I'm working from home ( ) days can go by with me happily immersed in my own world, preoccupied with whatever I'm working on. LOLOL my former boyfriend used to call and say "Have you talked to anyone else today?" I would often have to think about it before I replied "No."

MBTI
    INTP

My first co-worker would interrupt me at least once a week while I was intent on what I was doing with "Are you mad at me?" Why? Because I wasn't exchanging social niceties.

This, at least, I have learned how to do over the years. If a friend mentions an ill child, I file it away and make a point of asking later how dear Emily is feeling today.

But unless it's life threatening, I still don't particularly care.

Within the last year though, I had a neighbor stalk me in his car for almost the length of a block while I was deep in thought. And although I was vaguely aware of a car that didn't appear to know where it was going, (I honestly thought the driver was searching for an address) it never occurred to me that I was the object of interest.

Fortunately, when he mentioned it later, he was simply amused. His sole intention was to offer me a ride.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm an extrovert and I often find myself oblivious to the world. But that's more because I have a romantic outlook on external objects, if that makes any sense.