• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dynamic

Anentropic IxTx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
There are those who would say that my [our] philosophy of life is intrinsically wrong in some way, and probably vice versa. Explain?

Anentropic IxTx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
As an example, myself and another person who always struck me as inherently similar disagreed on the subject of thinking for the sake of thought vs. thinking for the purpose of productivity. Perhaps he's just more of an engineer while I'm rather a theoretical physicist?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Thinking for the purpose of productivity automatically prescribes limits as to what types of thought is valid. You add parameters and conditions thought has to meet, so there's only so far it can go.

Thinking for the sake of thinking is pure, limitless, and only capped by the power of your mind to follow, create, and analyze new thoughts, however it does lack direction.

So it depends on what you're trying to do. Cutting out either isn't the wisest. Using your way only, at all times is inefficient; using your friends' way limits new ideas and progress, but you achieve what you want a bit quicker.

But I like your way the best, as I should.

Mole

Permabanned
As an example, myself and another person who always struck me as inherently similar disagreed on the subject of thinking for the sake of thought vs. thinking for the purpose of productivity. Perhaps he's just more of an engineer while I'm rather a theoretical physicist?

Sure, you can do things for an intrinsic reason or an extrinsic reason.

If you are doing something for an intrinsic reason, you are doing it for its own sake.

And if you are doing something for an extrinsic reason, you are doing it for hope of reward or fear of punishment.
And if you are doing something for an extrinsic reason, you are doing it to manipulate.

But doing something for an intrinsic reason brings joy.

While doing something for an extrinsic reason brings anxiety, fear and greed.

So why not choose joy?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sure, you can do things for an intrinsic reason or an extrinsic reason.

If you are doing something for an intrinsic reason, you are doing it for its own sake.

And if you are doing something for an extrinsic reason, you are doing it for hope of reward or fear of punishment.
And if you are doing something for an extrinsic reason, you are doing it to manipulate.

But doing something for an intrinsic reason brings joy.

While doing something for an extrinsic reason brings anxiety, fear and greed.

So why not choose joy?

That's a good answer, except that some people like putting ideas to use because it brings them joy, too.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

If your goal is accurate thought, then it has a clear purpose. If it is to be completely random, then perhaps that serves another type of purpose like letting go, experiencing purposelessness (ha) or exploring new connections, etc.

Mole

Permabanned
That's a good answer, except that some people like putting ideas to use because it brings them joy, too.

Yes, but I still think we are back where we started.

For instance, you can put an idea to use for extrinsic reasons or for intrinsic reasons.

So we are back where we started - we are still faced with the choice of doing something for an extrinsic or an intrinsic reason.

We are still faced with the choice between joy or anxiety, fear and greed.

And yes it would be nice to have our cake and eat it too - it would be nice to have joy and the power manipulation brings.

But this is the pipe dream of the abuser.

The abuser wants power and wants to be loved - but all the abuser does is damage the abused.

If you want joy, the price is to let go manipulation - the price is to let go the impossible dream of having your cake and eating it too.

And my Bakery will thank you and provide you with fresh bread every morning, still warm from the oven.