User Tag List

First 123 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I don't think this is just a T thing. There are some movies I just can't watch because the premise is ridiculous. Although I don't consider LOTR one of them. A lot of Horror movies for example. Dr Who is a bit ridiculous (it's still fun to watch though). Some medical dramas drive me absolutely nuts. House irritates me. That's not how medical diagnosis is done Ladies and Gents. (and I've been banned, by house mates, from watching anything fictitious and medical, unless it's MASH reruns). Anything involving crime solving, I think is included in the ban too.
    Also anything that misapplies any scientific theory I'm familiar with, I'll pick holes and dissect for days.
    Yes, it's a logic thing, but it's an intelligence thing as well. Some movies really aren't that enjoyable, because they require you to dumb down significantly. I tend to stay away from Box office hits for that reason.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

My father does that ALWAYS, he only likes belic and historical movies. It can be somewhat annoying.
    However, I usually watch movies for the sake of imagination as I tend to focus more on the possibilities and the 'take-me-to-another-reality' value. I don't pay too much attention to details, but of course if something is very obvious and makes the plot nonsensical, can ruin the movie for me.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Like for instance, I don't like violent movies that aren't based on a true story because I don't like the idea of senseless violence, and I don't like horror movies because I don't see the point of being frightened unnecessarily, but I would actually like to change my mentality about this. More entertainment = more fun. I need to be bombarded with lots of violent movies and horror movies. lol
    You know, I agree with the bolded part of what you said. Except...well, here's the thing. Usually if I'm asked about fears, I'll say being buried alive or bees or something, which is correct. But the truth is, and I hardly ever tell anybody this, is that I'm insanely afraid of horror movies. I can't remember the last time I've seen a scary movie, and I don't care, I hate it way too much, and when previews for these movies come on in theaters I try to look to the side slightly. Horror movies, horror video games, horror books, I can't stand any of it, I get way too scared. Especially with sudden spooks. Some people give me a hard time for this (by scaring me) and I HATE it.

I seriously tip my non-existent hat to you if you can watch that stuff.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, as a fellow INTJ, I can definitely understand where you're coming from. From a very early age, I was a huge movie critic. Every time I went to see a movie, I would sit there and think, "Wow, this is really predictable. How can people stand this crap?" And made for TV movies from Hallmark and the Disney channel--don't get me started. For me, everything had to make logical sense. If there were plot holes, I would fixate on them. Like you, I am very hard to impress. I hated artfully overdone things--things that I knew were in the movie simply to make the audience go "oh, wow."

In the last four or five years, I've made a lot of headway in moving beyond my extreme views of movies. Maybe I've mellowed out. Or maybe it's just my IN taking over a bit. I've always loved a good story, and I prefer for them to make sense (NT), but, first and foremost, I enjoy a good idea (IN). My intuition is really strong. Anyway, I've learned to just take a deep breath and glaze over the bad details. I like the general story.

For example, I have read the Twilight series. It's an awful, awful series. Poorly written with often brain-dead characters and dialogue. However, I really like the idea of the story. I like the whole vampire, living forever, not having to sleep (I'm an insomniac) thing. The general story isn't bad (mostly), so I can tolerate reading it. I can mostly manage not to critique it.

The same goes for the movies I watch. I'm a huge movie buff, and I LOVE going to the movies. I've found that being less of a critic has been much more liberating. No longer am I teased mercilessly for tearing movie after movie apart. INTJs, I think, hate being teased (especially when we're quite serious about a topic). People were always saying during the car ride home from the movies, "Oh, no. Here she goes again on another rant!"

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a post telling anyone to "take things easy" when it comes to movies. I hate when people tell me to "take things easy," to "stop and smell the roses," or "chill out." There's nothing wrong per se with taking a passionate opinion. I certainly would never take things easy when it comes to reality TV, for example (I LOATH reality TV). I just think that I got sick of nitpicking something that I was always viewing. I saw it for its artistic value and not for its entertainment and social value. As my E and F sides developed more and more, I began to see the importance of those things. I don't feel that I'm dumbing myself down to occasionally enjoy an insane or sub-par movie.

Sometimes, now, I find myself rewatching things that I initially hated (like Elf) and really loving them the second time around. That's a strange experience for me as a J. Of course, I still think The Santa Clause 2 was a completely terrible movie... I do have some standards!

PS Oh, and I LOVE horror, just as long as it's not slasher horror. Gore doesn't really get me going, but scary stuff does.

MBTI
    ISFJ

You spoke of knowing how the movie is going to end, beforehand. Well, maybe the key is not going to watch a movie simply to know what happens next. That's not the only draw. Character interaction, funny and sad moments, photography etc ... the ride is supposed to be enjoyable. Doesn't meant you have to like it of course...

As for plotholes the key is to learn to appreciate what's well done. Using the LOTR example, maybe the point of the story was that "evil" is often too arrogant to properly prepare for what "good" as in store. LOTR is also about the triumph of the Hobbit's naivety over all the other mighty races.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    About once a year I go to the movies with someone. But if I am going to watch something that is more already familiar to me.
    But here things start to complicate.

Since we got there by car I can already know about how long movie lasts since I know condicions how and where car is parked.
    Since I am interested in this I already know about what it is about and who is playing who. Also I know how it is going to end since almost all moves have happy endings or somethings stays a little bit unsolved so that they can make another one.

So when I actually sit in my chair I have in a way already seen a movie I want to watch. Also it is not hard to reconstruct even the details some 10 minutes ahead.
    Also because of my abstract world in which I am every day (in my head) makes me extremly hard to impress. It has happen to me that I am so bored that instead of watching in the screen I am studing a impact of scenes on people around me.

I am curious about others, does this kinds of things happen to you to?
    Are you psychic?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I mean, really. Think of it in terms of life insurance: Would you really waste money on a policy to cover yourself for being beheaded by someone? Yes, if you lose your head, you're dead, so the outcome is dire; but the odds are SO ridiculous that it's just not worth the investment. You'd sooner win Powerball with one ticket.
    Thank you for disproving Pascal's Wager in one paragraph. More wise words from Ms. Jennifer
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    You spoke of knowing how the movie is going to end, beforehand. Well, maybe the key is not going to watch a movie simply to know what happens next. That's not the only draw. Character interaction, funny and sad moments, photography etc ... the ride is supposed to be enjoyable. Doesn't meant you have to like it of course...

As for plotholes the key is to learn to appreciate what's well done. Using the LOTR example, maybe the point of the story was that "evil" is often too arrogant to properly prepare for what "good" as in store. LOTR is also about the triumph of the Hobbit's naivety over all the other mighty races.
    Well, the thing is that you and I are very different people.
    Logical inconsistenty is something I can't overlook. (in most cases)
    To tell you one more truth I think that triumph of naivety and everything that comes with it in so many movies, is not something that should be admired that much.
    Always when I am watching a movie I think about how it efects other people.
    I think that movies provides wrong picture of reality.
    I am not talking about facts I am talking about principles.

You can't deny that there is plenty of movies that function on love vs. logic principle. Because of this impassionate calculation can look like sin.
    What is not good if you ask me.

This is one of the main reasons why I have opened this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Are you psychic?
    No I am not.
    What I find interesting is that S people here and in real life are asking me similar questions.
    I think that this is just direct manifestation of mine reasoning skills.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default The finishing move...

Why go to the movies if it's not fun?

(Oh and I used to be similar until I hear a comment my father made and it's hounded me ever since, "There's nothing so boring as someone who says everything is boring". Sometimes you have to play the game to see why other people play it.. and that means playing the game internally too and not sitting there second guessing it or trying to analyse it into little bitty pieces.)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

When I see a movie I usually try to predict how it ends. Most of the time I'm right, but I keep watching anyway to see if I was. I consider it a good movie if the film is good storywise etc, and if the ending isn't how I predicted it.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)