User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Anyway, how does one deal with this reality?

Of not being closed minded due to pride, but not being anxious due to doubt?
    That's a cool question.

Thats all I wanted to say .
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    That's a cool question.
    Thats all I wanted to say .
    *lol* I so knew you were gonna say something like that. You are awesome, entro.

Of not being closed minded due to pride, but not being anxious due to doubt?
    I know that problem too. It is always hard to keep a balance. With everything. The chance to go towards an extreme is kinda always given. It can be a life-long struggle to keep the balance, unless you like being "an extreme" of some sort. Personally I don't.

Theoretically I would have to answer something like "You keep the balance like you keep it with every other trait". But I am not sure that helps a lot. So let's try to make an effort here.

Personally I know there is always somebody who will be better than me at something, no matter how good I am. That is just a fact. And if not, sooner or later there will be somebody who is. You wanting to keep "the record" would just be freaking much work and at the same time useless. Because even though there is always somebody who is better than you, there also always is somebody who is worse. And that is, what you need to remember.

If - let's say - you are good at something be proud and enjoy it. Be happy you became so good at it.
    I think to keep the balance it is the best thing to "enjoy the moment". Personally when I achieved something I don't think about who is better or worse than me. I just try to enjoy the moment. I enjoy that "I did it" and I am proud for that moment. I feel good in that very instant.

In case you tend to go towards one of the extremes, just recall the thing with the other people. That's probably the best way to balance it, if you start to see a trend.
    At least it works for me. I guess it is a pretty individual thing. Everyone needs to find his own way. Others can just tell you how they do it and inspire you.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    INFP

Hey. What Nightning, Entropie and Gargoyle's said!

You know, I think we are talking about humility here. And the fact that you are examining that balance between "I'm the bomb." and "I suck." indicates that you are well on the path to an honest self-concept. Gee. I think some people never even think about it.

(Notice my Youthspeak? Hee.)
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Interesting thoughts, everyone.

I'll have to cogitate on them for a while...

In the mean-time, perhaps we can switch roles and ask:

Why is it important to keep updating one's perspective?

I'd be interested in people's answer to this as it relates to my orignal questions.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

ThatGirl

Accept the fact that if you dont know everything its ok, because some day you will, and that starts with --->

Look at capability and possibility before making concrete judgments about yourself.

Well this will sound stupid, but because things are constantly evolving and changing,

I cant help but keep up on my perspective.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

In the mean-time, perhaps we can switch roles and ask:

I'd be interested in people's answer to this as it relates to my orignal questions.
    Very much what thatgirl said. The world changes, if we don't change with it, then we'll go extinct like the dinosaurs did. Survival of the fittest as according to Darwin... Fitness referring to being the most adaptive.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Very much what thatgirl said. The world changes, if we don't change with it, then we'll go extinct like the dinosaurs did. Survival of the fittest as according to Darwin... Fitness referring to being the most adaptive.
    Did you know that you can actually evolve or adapt yourself into extiction, I thought that was a total trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Did you know that you can actually evolve or adapt yourself into extiction, I thought that was a total trip.
    Yes. It is interesting you bring it up here.

So. we need to keep udating our perspective because reality itself is changing.

Keeping roles still reversed.

How do we know what part of our perspective to change?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

That's how we learn. Nobody knows everything. You can't plug your brain into the Matrix like Neo and download Stochastic Calculus or whatever--not yet anyway. Learning takes a lot of elbow grease, obviously. The way I learn something is by looking at it from as many different perspectives as possible. I go though countless books doing just that. Different people have different pieces of the puzzle. Some people might explain one thing extremely well, but totally suck at explaining other important aspects of the same topic. People often illustrate principles with different metaphors and analogies--each adding a little more color to the overall picture. Another way I learn is by explaining to other people, usually in poorly written blog postings. Teaching is one of the best ways to learn partly because it forces you to crystallize your thinking, but also because the students will almost always bring a different perspective on something to the table. They might completely misinterpret something in an interesting way forcing you explain why their version was incorrect, if indeed it was incorrect.

ThatGirl

Yes. It is interesting you bring it up here.

So. we need to keep udating our perspective because reality itself is changing.

Keeping roles still reversed.

How do we know what part of our perspective to change?
    Well, thats a more complicated question, I suppose keeping it as broad as possible and always maintaining the ability to shift if necessary so you dont lock yourself in. I suppose on a more theoretical approach, you're existing in all things at once yet belong to none, and still yet could survive in any if that is the only option. Its a contradiction in where you can become specialized and yet dont necessarily commit to perspective.