User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 17 of 17

  1. #11
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    What are your thoughts on knives? Do you think that every wife with a knife is an implied threat to their children? Mayhap we should just not own knives because they're only made for one purpose and utilized for that purpose.

    Oh wait. I forgot. Knives are used to prepare healthy meals for a wife's children as well. Knives are also used to, say, cut that thing that strangling a child that they got trapped in, such was my case when I was little.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  2. #12
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Just picked up the last few lines of this thread and wanted to make a few comments. These will be about my experience with people who love guns.

    I grew up in a time and place where nearly every family had them. They were a practical piece of equipment for prairie families at that time. Families were isolated and many of them raised animals which contributed to their well-being. And those animals had to be protected agains predators.

    It was a matter of survival and I know that many of the farmers had a respect for and love of creatures. It was a necessity, though, to kill at times.

    I have also known true sportsmen who held themselves to high moral standards and made hunting a true sport. I say "true" because the concept of sports as we experience it today seems to have little to do with the honorable ideas of the Greeks.

    The guns are with us. Some of us use them in a safe and sane manner. Others of us use them for control and power.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  3. #13
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Just picked up the last few lines of this thread and wanted to make a few comments. These will be about my experience with people who love guns.

    I grew up in a time and place where nearly every family had them. They were a practical piece of equipment for prairie families at that time. Families were isolated and many of them raised animals which contributed to their well-being. And those animals had to be protected agains predators.

    It was a matter of survival and I know that many of the farmers had a respect for and love of creatures. It was a necessity, though, to kill at times.

    I have also known true sportsmen who held themselves to high moral standards and made hunting a true sport. I say "true" because the concept of sports as we experience it today seems to have little to do with the honorable ideas of the Greeks.

    The guns are with us. Some of us use them in a safe and sane manner. Others of us use them for control and power.
    Of course guns have their proper uses. Here, if you are a farmer or a sportsperson, you can get a gun.

    But if you have no legitimate use for a gun, you can't get one.

    We have no gun massacres because we have no gun culture here no gun fetish.

    But most important, children here are not frightened by guns.

    Children here have no need to repress their fear and cover it up with a gun ideology.

    Don't you realise that your, 'right to bear arms', sounds as phoney to us as the Gulf of Tonkin Incident or the Weapons of Mass Destruction?

  4. #14
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A gun is an implied threat.

    And a gun pointed at you is an explicit threat.

    If a husband has a gun, it is an implied threat to the wife.

    How do you think a wife feels when she gets into conflict with a husband with a gun?

    How do you think children feel living in an environment where people need guns?

    The fact is that children are afraid of people with guns.
    Silly.

    What about knives? What about fists?

    You're gonna make the argument "well, guns are only designed to hurt"... blah blah. The truth is, if the parent isn't threatening, it doesn't matter much if they have a gun or not. The problem is being a threatening person. A threatening person can use lots of things to hurt people.

    As cliche as it is: guns don't kill (or hurt, or threaten) people; people kill people.

    Plus, can you really say you find no beauty in power?

    What about someone who has a gun but no bullets just as a piece of art?

    What about using a gun to hunt animals for food?

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Of course guns have their proper uses. Here, if you are a farmer or a sportsperson, you can get a gun.

    But if you have no legitimate use for a gun, you can't get one.
    So what's the problem with finding beauty in guns? If you don't have one, or don't use it improperly, what's the problem with liking the idea of them? Why does it have to be a cover-up for trauma?

  5. #15
    Senior Member placebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Actually that's an interesting comparison. Both are also man-made. But God seems to me, far more complex to deal with. Guns, they can be trumped by bigger weapons and greater defenses.

    P.S. I'm also thinking about God more in terms of religion. Not all Gods must be feared, worshipped, loved, etc.

  6. #16
    Senior Member mlittrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's extraordinary to see so many acting out their childhood abuse on this site.

    Just as it is extraordinary that so many here have been taught to love and fear God.

    And just as extraordinary that so many have been taught to love guns which are designed for one purpose.

    But why should we be surprised to see that the abused become the abusers?
    i didn't know people were suprised to see the abused become the abusers. i thought that was a generally known and accepted fact. also the context of "fear" when you say "fear of God" is incorrect. its not a literal fear.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

    "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

    Mahatma Gandhi

    Enneagram: 9w1

  7. #17
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    i didn't know people were suprised to see the abused become the abusers. i thought that was a generally known and accepted fact. also the context of "fear" when you say "fear of God" is incorrect. its not a literal fear.
    Sure, it's not surprising at all.

    And sure, it starts out as a metaphor, "fhe fear of God is the beginning of wisdom".

    But as we enter the trance of ritual worship, the metaphoric starts to become the literal. So much so that the bread and wine become literally the body and blood.

    And as we enter the trance of ritual worship of, "Allah Akbar", martyrdom becomes literally the way to paradise.

    But it is the marriage of love and fear that defines the psychology of child abuse.

    And the abusers want power and they want to be loved - sounds familiar doesn't it?

Similar Threads

  1. The OFFICIAL Greek Gods, heroes and Mythical Creatures thread
    By Elfboy in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-13-2015, 03:20 PM
  2. Guns and the government (again)
    By greenfairy in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 244
    Last Post: 06-15-2014, 03:43 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 03:58 AM
  4. [NT] Bombs, guns, and grenades...
    By Cloudblue in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO