User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: misperceptions

MBTI
    INFP

Default misperceptions

Today, I watched some interview with the Obamas and an interesting question was posed to Michelle about herself and Barack, individually:

What is a common misperception people have of you?

I was looking to read responses, but it's always more interesting if the OP answers as well, I suppose, so I will contribute.

People often think that I have led an easy life because I'm a positive, even bubbly person. Most recently, when I checked a girl on such a comment of hers, she said "I bet you've never even had your heart broken."

It's like where the hell are you coming up with these assertions???

Just because you're moving doesn't mean the current's with ya, you know?

K I have to go.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

People assume I'm a neo-Nazi for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Just because you're moving doesn't mean the current's with ya, you know?
    If I tune in to what is expected of me, I am perceived.

But when I tune in to my own desires, hopes and fears, I am misperceived.

If I flow with the expected current, I am perceived.

But if I row against the current, I am a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    People assume I'm a neo-Nazi for some reason.
    Only because you come from Cleveland, Uberfuhrer.

Sniffles

People seem to mistake me for some Bible-thumping fundamentalist member of the Christian Right.

That and your standard Faux News "Conservative" who idolises O'Reilly or Hannity, and fantasizes about Ann Coulter. Oh yeah, the Democrats are the reason why the Dinosaurs went extinct.

Those are probably the two biggest ones I keep encountering here.

MBTI
    INFP

I sometimes feel misperceived--it is easy to be misunderstood when you don't reveal much of yourself to others--and yet I find in every 'misperception' there is an inkling of truth to it, so I don't know. I think a common misperception from others is that I've got my shit together and I'm tough, but a little digging and you'll find that I don't and I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    People seem to mistake me for some Bible-thumping fundamentalist member of the Christian Right.

That and your standard Faux News "Conservative" who idolises O'Reilly or Hannity, and fantasizes about Ann Coulter. Oh yeah, the Democrats are the reason why the Dinosaurs went extinct.

Those are probably the two biggest ones I keep encountering here.
    You do describe yourself as a Conservative Catholic, Peguy.

But in no catholic church, in any part of the world, are pews reserved for Conservative Catholics.

And my local priest tells me that the Church has a policy of the separation of Church and State - "render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's".

So he told me there are no pews reserved for Conservative Catholics, or Liberal Catholics, or Anarchist Catholics because this would violate the policy of the separation of Church and State.

In fact he went further to say that were no such thing as Conservative Catholics.

"But what about Peguy?", I said.

"Well", said Father, "It's his birthday and we should wish him happy returns and forget about all the rest."

"Yes Father", I said.

Happy birthday, Peguy.

MBTI
    infp

-That I do a lot of drugs. I don't, and ironically I probably would more if people didn't assume I did arbitrarily.

-That I have bizarre moral codes. Today my brother said he didn't get me a Hurley shirt because somehow I have a moral code against Hurley and the local store that sells Hurley stuff and I "think I'm better than everyone". I was fucking floored, it made no sense at all, and I own plenty of stuff from that store that I wear regularly, including today, as this conversation took place. He said I was against evil big business, which I'm not, and neither of those are. Maybe I used to be like that?... I don't even know. I'm ranting, but the whole conversation was very strange, and he isn't even the first person to assume that.

-That I think I'm smarter than everyone. I don't care about intelligence at all, and more than anything I hate people who think they are amazing because they are smart. I just generally don't take myself seriously enough.

/christmas ranting

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj

People seem to think that I listen to radio rock.

garbage

People seem to think that I'm perfect, confident, and capable of most anything. That I demonstrate what I know with finesse, that I can quickly and easily devise plans and lead people with full confidence in what I'm doing.

In reality, I'm so neurotic and obsessed with trying to become an absolute perfect individual that I can't help but see myself as very, very flawed much of the time. I therefore end up having no idea why people have high hopes for me, or why they follow me to the ends of the earth without question as they're prone to do.

I'm getting much, much better about accepting myself, but that's only been a recent development. I still have bouts with leftover anxiety and depression at times.