• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you ever ask question if you know the answer?

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I always ask questions to which I know the answer ;). It's a good way of scoping out a situation and knowing where the other person stands. Also, a good feedback loop is generated by doing this.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
i personally just have more respect for a straight forward approach. i prefer someone to say...i've been thinking about this...and i believe this to be true and this is the impression i get from you...is this accurate?

same results..less time...more respectful...imo.

It's true. This approach works, but saying it like that can come across as creepy. On the other hand if you act a little oblivious or naive there's usually more room for discussion. There's time to get to the interesting discussion later.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Exactly as most other NTs have stated, I figured out a long time ago that you miss so much assuming you have the answer. I love the multiple ways discussions and conversations can flow, I think with NTs it's sort of a small talk method of going about things. A way to lead into more substantive, interesting and in-depth conversations. You can never truly know just how much someone knows or how differently they can approach things until you give them the opportunity to expound on more of their own terms.

As an introvert I'm much more comfortable with really buttoning things down and rigorously analyzing them on my own standards on my own time. General conversation isn't necessarily where I codify my knowledge. It's more of idea and theory generation, if it wasn't and other peoples perspectives weren't important I wouldn't bother talking to them. Being directive and blunt isn't my style.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
and I usually know more about the topic then the other person.

That's typical of INTJ extraverted thinking (Te). You wear your thinking on your sleeves. Your thinking is about other people.

Similarly, INTPs have extraverted intuition. Our intuition is about other people. While you might ask a question you know the answer to, we might share some intuition that may seem somewhat obvious--though it's not always clear what is and is not obvious.

ENTJs move people around like chess pieces. They take other peoples moves for them. I've noticed that ENFPs--who also have Ni/Fi--seem to behave in a similar fashion, ENTJs and ENFPs are alll about other people. My ENFP roommate is constantly helping himself to things. Sometimes I find out he was in my room only because he mentioned things that he could not know unless he had been in my room. He also helps himself to the A/C and radio controls in my car. In the basement he dismantled an entertainment center "because he needed the lumber". He did not even ask who it belonged to.

At the end of the day, it's really just the nature of the beast.

T

ThatGirl

I believe you probably already know why that bothers people.

I sometimes ask people to repeat themselves then, before they repeat, I answer the question they asked in the first place. Does that count?

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Most of the time doing this is fine, especially if you appear oblivious or naive. Be careful of your tone of voice and body language, however. You can appear much more condescending and arrogant, like you're doing some kind of Socratic baiting.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's true. This approach works, but saying it like that can come across as creepy. On the other hand if you act a little oblivious or naive there's usually more room for discussion. There's time to get to the interesting discussion later.

creepy?? creepy?? god...i don't think anything i've ever said has been described as that before.

so...i think i'll disagree...
baeh1_boese.gif

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Is this on the same level as restating the obvious? That annoys the hell out of me. I usually stand there silent when someone says something that's so completely obvious, and they take it as me not understanding them. ><

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ people make that assumption about me too raz! like they think they're being clever and...it wasn't new information or insight to me...so...they don't get the response they expect and totally misread it...or that happens with jokes too...that i just don't think are funny....i laugh a lot...so when i don't laugh at a joke they must assume i didn't get it...but nope...just wasn't funny...haha. :)

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
creepy?? creepy?? god...i don't think anything i've ever said has been described as that before.

so...i think i'll disagree...
baeh1_boese.gif

Not everyone has ENFP master social skills. Sure it works better in certain situations, but say if you've read something into them just from a short time talking to them. You barely know the person but already have spotted about them that isn't readily apparent. If you go out and say it, but with the wrong inflection in your voice, all of a sudden you appear to be a weirdo.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think it's more speculative to lead to more theoretical discussion and sort out some practical applications of what you thought. I know for instance I do this all the time with my INTJ dad, in fact on a daily basis.

Today I was busy sort of boarding my windows with plastic thermal insulation and I figured my dad being an engineer could solidify some of my theoretical assumptions. So I asked a somewhat naive question about "how you would go about doing this task in a more professional manner, how does wind and heat circulation effect your processes and procedures, and how is that calculated and accounted for in a engineering manner." That was the question I wanted answered...

But if I were to outright ask it I would not allow his expertise to shine through, furthermore since I'm obviously not an engineer some of my assumptions would no doubt be misguided. I've seen many shows on just how insulation is important and could recite and ask more pointed questions based on my knowledge, but in that situation a little naivete and obliviousness in my mind served me much better. From then on I could proceed to really solidifying my knowledge with more accurate information because I let him articulate his thoughts and perspective without interference that would have no doubt resulted from a more blunt approach.

In general most people are not professionals who like to be called "off duty" to discuss more intensive and demanding topics so it's always best to segue-way into them. It's amazing how well that approach can serve you. Sometimes it also helps to strip premises that weren't really analyzed or thought about as well. I do this constantly with my ESFJ mom and it helps me increase both my verbal ability and helps to get her to talk about the things I want without being confrontational and brief.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ oh...hmm...i guess you can kinda say anything creepy if you want to...or can't help it...i could say i like your dragon...and have it be creepy if i wanted to right? haha

but...what i meant was just that...you could say...this is what i think you mean...is that accurate...it's called mirroring or something right...trying to make sure you're seeing things accurately.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
^^ oh...hmm...i guess you can kinda say anything creepy if you want to...or can't help it...i could say i like your dragon...and have it be creepy if i wanted to right? haha

but...what i meant was just that...you could say...this is what i think you mean...is that accurate...it's called mirroring or something right...trying to make sure you're seeing things accurately.

A lot of people like my dragon. LOL jk jk

Yeah they both work well. I'd be hesitant to use either way all the time.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't have a problem with people asking questions that they already know the answer to, nor do I mind doing that myself, especially in a public realm because the burden to answer does not rest solely on one person. In private it can become time-consuming and annoying maybe if the questions never progress to deeper levels.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I do it. It tends to be directive. As in, the questions are semi-rhetorical.

"rhetorical" in as much as I usually think I know the answer.
"semi-" is in I'm willing to be surprised by a good answer.
"directive" as in I'm usually expecting the other person to cooperate by admitting to the truth they seem to be avoiding.

The INFJs I know do it too. It makes people interact with one at the level one is accustomed to thinking. Or it pisses people off because they don't want to do that.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The INFJs I know do it too. It makes people interact with one at the level one is accustomed to thinking. Or it pisses people off because they don't want to do that.

It's really frustrating when people can't handle that sort of approach.
It's not some attack. But they get horribly defensive at times nonetheless.
I never just drill people to bait them into an argument that will lead to some sort of all-out, apocalyptic conflict.. but certain people seem to react that way anyhow.
I only ever seek to understand.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It tends to be directive. Alright ! These kinda questions I like aswell o0

G

garbage

Sometimes, people like to answer questions because it allows them to exercise what they know and pass it on to someone else. It can also open the door to further conversation. ..and also, everything everyone else in this thread said.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Socrates used to do it a lot.

... if you want to go ahead and believe Plato.

So there's that pedigree.

Or Plato was INTJ and just making it all up.