User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm speaking of personal matters... like second opinions from doctors, or "did he really mean that?"

for those... especially the last one... other people are MUCH more useful than books!
    Well, that is simple common sense, by which I mean that any reasonable individual would do it. Obviously, when it comes to practical matters, such as knowledge in a specific area where the learning curve is steep, one may ask for an "expert opinion." However, notice the keyword "expert" in the term. All knowledge that is not tied to an immediate need, or is not difficult to acquire, can be learned by oneself.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    ISTP

I sometimes ask questions I already know the answer to in an effort to make the person feel comfortable and talk.

Ex:

Me: You got a new car?
    Person: Yeah! *rants about the car*
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

I find the above approach annoying. When somebody asks me something that is evident, especially in regards to something personal, it comes off as highly redundant.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I ask other people's personal opinions for hope that I overlooked something in my assessments if I don't like my conclusion... not everyone operates fully based on textbook facts... I trust people... why's there something so messed up about that?

and I doubt that I'd ever end up chatting with you lex... you'd shoot me down so you wouldn't have to put up with my annoying questions
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFJ

I enjoy asking questions .. I am sometimes worried i'll be looked at like an idiot but i am just curious, afterall just because i believe i know the answer doesn't necessarily mean that the answer i have is correct.

It's interesting to get other perspectives also and if they elaborate then all the better.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I do this all the time just to make sure that I know what the other person is thinking.
    For me this is a good way to start a conversation since my interest are narrow and I usually know more about the topic then the other person.
    In many cases I am interested what other person is thinking so this is the easiest way to check it out and to verify what person knows/doesn't know next to my knowledge. People are usually open about this, but is it because they don't know what I am doing?

Why is doing this is such a big problem for some people?
    Huh, I can't say that I've ever done that... if people are getting upset by it it's probably because they feel like you're toying with them. Why is it so important to have a measuring stick of your knowledge compared to theirs? I can certainly understand why this is necessary in a professional situation, but I typically just come right out and ask in that case. If you're doing it in casual/social situation then it probably comes off as condescending or disingenuous... that's my opinion anyway..