User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I think it's more speculative to lead to more theoretical discussion and sort out some practical applications of what you thought. I know for instance I do this all the time with my INTJ dad, in fact on a daily basis.

Today I was busy sort of boarding my windows with plastic thermal insulation and I figured my dad being an engineer could solidify some of my theoretical assumptions. So I asked a somewhat naive question about "how you would go about doing this task in a more professional manner, how does wind and heat circulation effect your processes and procedures, and how is that calculated and accounted for in a engineering manner." That was the question I wanted answered...

But if I were to outright ask it I would not allow his expertise to shine through, furthermore since I'm obviously not an engineer some of my assumptions would no doubt be misguided. I've seen many shows on just how insulation is important and could recite and ask more pointed questions based on my knowledge, but in that situation a little naivete and obliviousness in my mind served me much better. From then on I could proceed to really solidifying my knowledge with more accurate information because I let him articulate his thoughts and perspective without interference that would have no doubt resulted from a more blunt approach.

In general most people are not professionals who like to be called "off duty" to discuss more intensive and demanding topics so it's always best to segue-way into them. It's amazing how well that approach can serve you. Sometimes it also helps to strip premises that weren't really analyzed or thought about as well. I do this constantly with my ESFJ mom and it helps me increase both my verbal ability and helps to get her to talk about the things I want without being confrontational and brief.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^ oh...hmm...i guess you can kinda say anything creepy if you want to...or can't help it...i could say i like your dragon...and have it be creepy if i wanted to right? haha

but...what i meant was just that...you could say...this is what i think you mean...is that accurate...it's called mirroring or something right...trying to make sure you're seeing things accurately.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    ^^ oh...hmm...i guess you can kinda say anything creepy if you want to...or can't help it...i could say i like your dragon...and have it be creepy if i wanted to right? haha

but...what i meant was just that...you could say...this is what i think you mean...is that accurate...it's called mirroring or something right...trying to make sure you're seeing things accurately.
    A lot of people like my dragon. LOL jk jk

Yeah they both work well. I'd be hesitant to use either way all the time.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I don't have a problem with people asking questions that they already know the answer to, nor do I mind doing that myself, especially in a public realm because the burden to answer does not rest solely on one person. In private it can become time-consuming and annoying maybe if the questions never progress to deeper levels.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

no
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ

I do it. It tends to be directive. As in, the questions are semi-rhetorical.

"rhetorical" in as much as I usually think I know the answer.
    "semi-" is in I'm willing to be surprised by a good answer.
    "directive" as in I'm usually expecting the other person to cooperate by admitting to the truth they seem to be avoiding.

The INFJs I know do it too. It makes people interact with one at the level one is accustomed to thinking. Or it pisses people off because they don't want to do that.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post

The INFJs I know do it too. It makes people interact with one at the level one is accustomed to thinking. Or it pisses people off because they don't want to do that.
    It's really frustrating when people can't handle that sort of approach.
    It's not some attack. But they get horribly defensive at times nonetheless.
    I never just drill people to bait them into an argument that will lead to some sort of all-out, apocalyptic conflict.. but certain people seem to react that way anyhow.
    I only ever seek to understand.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It tends to be directive. Alright ! These kinda questions I like aswell o0
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

garbage

Sometimes, people like to answer questions because it allows them to exercise what they know and pass it on to someone else. It can also open the door to further conversation. ..and also, everything everyone else in this thread said.

MBTI
    INTJ

Socrates used to do it a lot.

... if you want to go ahead and believe Plato.

So there's that pedigree.

Or Plato was INTJ and just making it all up.