First 12345 Last

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I always ask questions to which I know the answer . It's a good way of scoping out a situation and knowing where the other person stands. Also, a good feedback loop is generated by doing this.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    i personally just have more respect for a straight forward approach. i prefer someone to say...i've been thinking about this...and i believe this to be true and this is the impression i get from you...is this accurate?

same results..less time...more respectful...imo.
    It's true. This approach works, but saying it like that can come across as creepy. On the other hand if you act a little oblivious or naive there's usually more room for discussion. There's time to get to the interesting discussion later.

MBTI
    INTP

Exactly as most other NTs have stated, I figured out a long time ago that you miss so much assuming you have the answer. I love the multiple ways discussions and conversations can flow, I think with NTs it's sort of a small talk method of going about things. A way to lead into more substantive, interesting and in-depth conversations. You can never truly know just how much someone knows or how differently they can approach things until you give them the opportunity to expound on more of their own terms.

As an introvert I'm much more comfortable with really buttoning things down and rigorously analyzing them on my own standards on my own time. General conversation isn't necessarily where I codify my knowledge. It's more of idea and theory generation, if it wasn't and other peoples perspectives weren't important I wouldn't bother talking to them. Being directive and blunt isn't my style.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    and I usually know more about the topic then the other person.
    That's typical of INTJ extraverted thinking (Te). You wear your thinking on your sleeves. Your thinking is about other people.

Similarly, INTPs have extraverted intuition. Our intuition is about other people. While you might ask a question you know the answer to, we might share some intuition that may seem somewhat obvious--though it's not always clear what is and is not obvious.

ENTJs move people around like chess pieces. They take other peoples moves for them. I've noticed that ENFPs--who also have Ni/Fi--seem to behave in a similar fashion, ENTJs and ENFPs are alll about other people. My ENFP roommate is constantly helping himself to things. Sometimes I find out he was in my room only because he mentioned things that he could not know unless he had been in my room. He also helps himself to the A/C and radio controls in my car. In the basement he dismantled an entertainment center "because he needed the lumber". He did not even ask who it belonged to.

At the end of the day, it's really just the nature of the beast.

ThatGirl

I believe you probably already know why that bothers people.

I sometimes ask people to repeat themselves then, before they repeat, I answer the question they asked in the first place. Does that count?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

Most of the time doing this is fine, especially if you appear oblivious or naive. Be careful of your tone of voice and body language, however. You can appear much more condescending and arrogant, like you're doing some kind of Socratic baiting.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    It's true. This approach works, but saying it like that can come across as creepy. On the other hand if you act a little oblivious or naive there's usually more room for discussion. There's time to get to the interesting discussion later.
    creepy?? creepy?? god...i don't think anything i've ever said has been described as that before.

so...i think i'll disagree...
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    LoLz

Is this on the same level as restating the obvious? That annoys the hell out of me. I usually stand there silent when someone says something that's so completely obvious, and they take it as me not understanding them. ><

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^ people make that assumption about me too raz! like they think they're being clever and...it wasn't new information or insight to me...so...they don't get the response they expect and totally misread it...or that happens with jokes too...that i just don't think are funny....i laugh a lot...so when i don't laugh at a joke they must assume i didn't get it...but nope...just wasn't funny...haha.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    creepy?? creepy?? god...i don't think anything i've ever said has been described as that before.

so...i think i'll disagree...
    Not everyone has ENFP master social skills. Sure it works better in certain situations, but say if you've read something into them just from a short time talking to them. You barely know the person but already have spotted about them that isn't readily apparent. If you go out and say it, but with the wrong inflection in your voice, all of a sudden you appear to be a weirdo.