User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IN??
    Enneagram
    IDK

Default Random thoughts on Intuition and Sensing

I was visiting my mother (who is an iNtuitive type) the other day for breakfast, and on the way out she commented on how beautiful the day was.

"Do you see the trees and the sky? It's like a monet or something." She said.

Despite it being cold, rainy, and foggy, I could totally relate to what she was saying. I have deeply felt this way on many an occasion, where beauty seems to inspire your imagination etc... My father (ESTJ), on the other hand, simply replied:

"Mmhmm, right. Well, see you later," in a rather dismissive tone, and left for work.

She told me later that, at the office, she commented on the same thing with her boss and good friend (SJ, I suspect) along with her husband, a philosophy professor (NT, I believe).

Her boss smiled somewhat condescendingly, and uttered a quick "Whatever," while the professor's eyes lit up:

"Ahh, exactly! I know exactly what you mean."

The point of this story: This sounds, to me at least, like an example of the iNtuitive way of thinking clashing with the world of the Sensor's. For example, my dad (ESTJ) would look out the window and think about the driving conditions, how cold it was, which coat he would use, and whether or not he would have to leave early for work, due to the fog. Something along those lines. However, this morning my mother (ENFP) saw something way beyond what was actually there, via her imagination/creativity.

I'm not trying to absolutize anything here, for I'm sure Sensors have thoughts like these too, nor am I saying one type is better than the other, but in general:

Do any iNtuitive types relate at all to this? Or have this kind of response from Sensors when you open up to them?

What about you Sensors?

MBTI
    ISTP

Well, I’m not sure how deeply you and your mother were feeling about the whole thing, but beauty just invokes an appreciation for beauty in me. I see something beautiful and I just let myself experience it for what it is. Sometimes the driving conditions and the cold are just part of the whole experience.

I’m completely unsure if I answered your question or not, or if there was a question or...

Actually this was one of the first similarities I noticed with an INFJ I know. We both look off into the distance. Watch the sunset in the background when something else is centre stage. Beauty doesn't pass by wasted or unnoticed. It might even be an F thing rather than a sensing-intuition thing. It gets a life, a deeper value. The beauty isn't just viewed, it is in harmony with you and alive. It isn't appreciated or captured, it is experienced.

That just reminded me of a line in one of my poems. "I could see a million sunsets but never feel their beauty." It actually never occurred to me that for most people this might be the norm rather than a tragedy. It's amazing how you grow up thinking everyone sees the same way as you, no matter what type you are. Been one of the biggest eye openers on this forum for me.

Well, I’m not sure how deeply you and your mother were feeling about the whole thing, but beauty just invokes an appreciation for beauty in me. I see something beautiful and I just let myself experience it for what it is. Sometimes the driving conditions and the cold are just part of the whole experience.
    Actually ISTPs I seem to feel an affiliation with on appreciation of things. I followed one most of my life growing up. You find so much wonder in the world. So many reasons to explore. I think my sister is an ISTP at least... A true dreamer without bounds. Combined we made a pretty awesome pair.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Travo7 View Post
    I was visiting my mother (who is an iNtuitive type) the other day for breakfast, and on the way out she commented on how beautiful the day was.

"Do you see the trees and the sky? It's like a monet or something." She said.

Despite it being cold, rainy, and foggy, I could totally relate to what she was saying. I have deeply felt this way on many an occasion, where beauty seems to inspire your imagination etc... My father (ESTJ), on the other hand, simply replied:

"Mmhmm, right. Well, see you later," in a rather dismissive tone, and left for work.

She told me later that, at the office, she commented on the same thing with her boss and good friend (SJ, I suspect) along with her husband, a philosophy professor (NT, I believe).

Her boss smiled somewhat condescendingly, and uttered a quick "Whatever," while the professor's eyes lit up:

"Ahh, exactly! I know exactly what you mean."

The point of this story: This sounds, to me at least, like an example of the iNtuitive way of thinking clashing with the world of the Sensor's. For example, my dad (ESTJ) would look out the window and think about the driving conditions, how cold it was, which coat he would use, and whether or not he would have to leave early for work, due to the fog. Something along those lines. However, this morning my mother (ENFP) saw something way beyond what was actually there, via her imagination/creativity.

I'm not trying to absolutize anything here, for I'm sure Sensors have thoughts like these too, nor am I saying one type is better than the other, but in general:

Do any iNtuitive types relate at all to this? Or have this kind of response from Sensors when you open up to them?

What about you Sensors?

No, it's not an S vs N thing. Why do people persist in believing that all Sensory-preferring people are these total non-artistic phillistines? I don't understand how you can take something that's obviously connected with Sensing and put it in the Intuition camp.

Noticing the beauty of your surroundings and thinking it reminds you of a piece of art IS SENSING. That's what it's all about! Thinking that the scenery outside your window looks like a Monet painting involves sensory memory and sensory awareness, and has nothing to do with intuition.

And yes, those of us who prefer Sensing and who like art and beauty do that all the time.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i do that all the time too but i think it just has to do with having an artistic eye more then anything else....i'm constantly seeing images as artwork...someone sitting on a bench...or a lil girl swinging in a swing...the barren tree in the field...it drives me nuts because i want to capture it all...i need to always have my camera with me i guess.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Noticing the beauty of your surroundings and thinking it reminds you of a piece of art IS SENSING.
    Things I see around me often remind me of other works of art.
    Especially vegetables.

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Things I see around me often remind me of other works of art.
    Especially vegetables.

There's actually a children's picure book of scenes created entirely out of vegetables.

What does kohlrabi reminds you of? It's always looked vaguely sci-fi to me.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Travo7 View Post
    For example, my dad (ESTJ) would look out the window and think about the driving conditions, how cold it was, which coat he would use, and whether or not he would have to leave early for work, due to the fog. Something along those lines.

What about you Sensors?
    I think your dad's mentality, as you put it here, is strongly shaped by the fact that a daily job is part of his routine. I'm not in the "workforce" yet, and I don't think about stuff like that, because it doesn't really affect me directly. But once I am, maybe I will.

There's also the association in our culture that:

dark, rain, cold = bad, sad
    bright, sunny, warm = good, happy

and I bet Intuitives are just as aware of those associations as Sensors, but with Sensors maybe it's harder to avoid noticing it, and avoid having it influence our thoughts and opinions. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah
    Why do people persist in believing that all Sensory-preferring people are these total non-artistic phillistines?
    I don't think that's what they intended. Maybe they are approaching the problem backwards, though. Identifying what they like and do, then assigning that to Intuition and the opposite to Sensing. Sometimes.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 12-20-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Sarah's post
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    EIE

I think the S vs. N divide is not the great chasm many people make it out to be.

I believe when an S type looks at something, they are more likely to see it for what it truly is. (Edit: actually "what it truly is" is so subjective.. but they tend to notice environmental details more readily and easily, which likely gives a certain clarity N's don't have) But an N type sees "what could be".

However, this is not always the case. S types look for possibilities and N types also look for what really is there.

Sensing = Being attuned to reality, the here and now
    Intuition = Able to see abstract possibilities, looking to the future

The key is integrating the two: Taking abstract ideas and applying them to the real world. Or looking at the real world and seeing untapped potential.
    I-44 N-88 F-62 J-67

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Noticing the beauty of your surroundings and thinking it reminds you of a piece of art IS SENSING. That's what it's all about! Thinking that the scenery outside your window looks like a Monet painting involves sensory memory and sensory awareness, and has nothing to do with intuition.
    I think it has something to do with intuition. You are right that it CAN very well be sensing, but the link between the scene and the Monet painting comes very close to intuition. In this case it is impossible to say, really, because we don't know how she saw the scene.

I have often looked at a landscape and been in a way sucked into it so that something that wasn't really that beautiful becomes beautiful. Maybe that is what it looks like when you watch something through intuition.

I do think that Travo's example is more like an F thing.