User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Right, thank you, I'm not saying Sensors don't make associations. I'm saying that noticing beauty and making associations is not related to having a preference for Intuition, as the OP apparently wants to believe.
    Oh, I know. I was agreeing with you.
    6w5sp/sx

In fact, I believe Monet was almost certainly an ISFP, NOT an "N" (read a biography of him if you doubt that.)
    Monet was definitely a senser. Intuitives generally don't have the sort of accuracy he had. And some of the subtle ones where there are just slight changes in whites and stuff says he was almost definitely Se. My ISTP sister introduced me to art in most of its forms, so there goes anything about intuition or feeling also.

I think different types might have their own ways of appreciating each type of art or beauty, but beauty is global. All types live in the world, and no type is oblivious to it. They all appreciate it and capture it in their own way. We had a really strange sunset last week. And my mother INFJ pointed it out. I looked at it and thought that is awesome like war of the worlds or something, and got my camera and sat outside watching. My younger sister who is ISFP came out and sat on the grass and watched, my dad who is INTP came out to look too. Some of the NT types have an amazing affiliation with art and nature..
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Sensitivity to aesthetics and beauty, as well as comfort and pleasure are all in the S domain. Ns are often chronically unaware of these things.

Monet was likely an Si type, as well as Van Gogh and other impressionists. ISFPs, more specifically.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I'm saying that it's not an indicator of preference. I'm astonished at how many people believe that doing sensory activities indicates a preference for intuition. It's ridiculous. It's as if I went around saying that my spiritual life and my ability to talk about abstract topics is proof of a preference for Sensing.
    Ok, this makes more sense. Before you were saying that appreciating nature has nothing to do with intuition. I think that you and me, we see different things in nature and appreciate some of them. So, from your pov, it can be (almost) pure sensing, while I might have a bit different way. The thing is, you don't know what I see, and I don't know what you see.

If you really and truly don't understand what's so offensive, try empathizing with ISFPs. Then notice how much you like being told you're incapable of the very things that you most certainly CAN do and DO do.
    Well, from what I had read, it was obvious that the artistic skills are very much a SP thing. I was only talking about how intuition might be a part of this appreciation in different types, and why not in SPs too.

Actually, you triggered this when you said that intuition cannot play any part in it. This was the only reason I posted in here. So. From my point of view, your frustration with the situation on this board made you to make an overstatement, and I pointed out that this is not true. You got mad at me, or at least it seemed like that when you quoted me and wrote angry remarks after the quotes. At this point I was so much concerned with you misunderstanding my posts that I had no time to think it from your perspective. Besides, I thought that it is almost like a fact that SPs are the artistic type, so I didn't think it would be offensive to consider that some forms of artistic appreciation come from intuition. That is how I interpreted the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Sensitivity to aesthetics and beauty, as well as comfort and pleasure are all in the S domain. Ns are often chronically unaware of these things.

Monet was likely an Si type, as well as Van Gogh and other impressionists. ISFps, more specifically.
    ISFPs are Fi Se. But yeah they are an introverted type with a sensing preference. My only reason to doubt Monet being an ISFP is that he always drew scenery. Whereas my younger sister who is ISFP often draws animals as a main part of the painting, or has a focus on a key object in the painting. I would've expected at least one animal painting, or at least some living creatures in there if he was ISFP. My ISTP older sister paints landscapes and colours and nature though. So I'm guessing he was an Se of some type.

Only thing I can say about Van Gogh was Fi. So ISFP or INFP. Just the way he captured faces and the world. The strange style suggests maybe INFP though. Art wise NFPs tend to work with a complex use of a simple style.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    ISFPs are Fi Se. But yeah they are an introverted type with a sensing preference.
    Screw functional order.

Jung described Si as the aesthete and Fi as the religious type.

Stereotypically, ISxP is associated with the artist/craftsman, and IxFJ with the religious nuts or moralists.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Screw functional order.

Jung described Si as the aesthete and Fi as the religious type.

Stereotypically, ISxP is associated with the artist/craftsman, and IxFJ with the religious nuts or moralists.
    Quite true. In terms of functions though, one type of feeling is obviously shared between the XXFPs, and a different type of feeling is shared between the XXFJs. It is even quite clearly visible in this thread. Function wise ISxP share an extroverted sensing function also, which seems to have some similarities to extroverted intuition in terms of being more aware of the external world. So you can't discount functions as making no sense here.

Obviously Jung was a smart guy who had the original theory, but unless you are like the religious ones, you are allowed to use other things that have been realised since .

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

No, extroverts direct their energy towards the external world. But Ns remain aware of their intuitions, while Ss remain aware of their physical environment.

Yeh, I probably chose words wrongly. I meant in terms of extraverted sensers being able to tell small differences in colour, and predict time insanely accurately and stuff in the external world. And extroverted intuitives linking everything in the external world. Like walk into a room and intuitively know where things lead and where they are at. I was just saying there are introverted and extroverted types that both possess these traits, so it didn't seem to be a case of introversion or extroversion, rather functions.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Travo7 View Post
    I was visiting my mother (who is an iNtuitive type) the other day for breakfast, and on the way out she commented on how beautiful the day was.

"Do you see the trees and the sky? It's like a monet or something." She said.

Despite it being cold, rainy, and foggy, I could totally relate to what she was saying. I have deeply felt this way on many an occasion, where beauty seems to inspire your imagination etc... My father (ESTJ), on the other hand, simply replied:

"Mmhmm, right. Well, see you later," in a rather dismissive tone, and left for work.

She told me later that, at the office, she commented on the same thing with her boss and good friend (SJ, I suspect) along with her husband, a philosophy professor (NT, I believe).

Her boss smiled somewhat condescendingly, and uttered a quick "Whatever," while the professor's eyes lit up:

"Ahh, exactly! I know exactly what you mean."

The point of this story: This sounds, to me at least, like an example of the iNtuitive way of thinking clashing with the world of the Sensor's. For example, my dad (ESTJ) would look out the window and think about the driving conditions, how cold it was, which coat he would use, and whether or not he would have to leave early for work, due to the fog. Something along those lines. However, this morning my mother (ENFP) saw something way beyond what was actually there, via her imagination/creativity.

I'm not trying to absolutize anything here, for I'm sure Sensors have thoughts like these too, nor am I saying one type is better than the other, but in general:

Do any iNtuitive types relate at all to this? Or have this kind of response from Sensors when you open up to them?

What about you Sensors?
    Every so often my ISTP husband will humor me, but my two S children usually don't.

It is nice when I find someone who enjoys the beauty of nature just as much as I do.