User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Dude, the world wouldn't be so FUN without crazy feelers running around.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Antisocial one,

lets say this is true, do you have any ideas on how to get rid of emotions?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Antisocial one,

That exactly what I was going to say, but I felt guilty for not reading more than a paragraph of the OP. Heh.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It could be done. We just start teaching different style of parenting. Parents should:

1) Show no emotion

2) Ignore or punish child for showing emotion

By doing this we can make antisocial personality disorder the new standard and eventually we can push all emotions into collective unconsciousness. Shouldn't take more than two generations. It will be one helluva time for seeing crazy nightmares...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Emotions are like high volatility. High risk, high return.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Really? To me it seems like they are a gift. They come out of nowhere and make me alive.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    infx

Would I have been born into a world with less emotion, and I myself wouldn't have as many emotions as I have now, then no, I would probably not need it if I couldn't compare that life to this. But that could be said about a lot of things. There is more we wouldn't need if we were born into a world without the possibility of it. Do we have to need something for it to be considered valuable? Do we have to be useful?

Of course it could help a case if you were to combine your feelings with rational thoughts. If it was this you meant, then I can't do anything but agree. I wouldn't consider feeling being as short sighted as you suggested, though. But are you talking about pure emotion or feeling as a function? Pure emotion doesn't think rationally. But feeling as a function - have I been completely mistaken for thinking it being able to size situations up?

To me, it comes back to variety. The less variety, the less individualism. And honestly, that's what makes things exciting. That's what brings colour.

Masochistic, well - hi, I'm a masochist and I love it. But really, I don't consider it enjoying being hurt as much as enjoying.. well.. being on fire. Feeling passionately. And that goes for happiness as well. The same way one might dwell over a hard puzzle, trying to figure it out and simply loving the strain it puts on you, loving how it makes your brain having to go farther into itself to figure it out.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by amigone View Post
    The same way one might dwell over a hard puzzle, trying to figure it out and simply loving the strain it puts on you, loving how it makes your brain having to go farther into itself to figure it out.
    Good point. If there was no emotion, would the rational people even WANT to try and solve things? They love what they do, otherwise why do it? This applies to everything really. So, less emotion, less effort, less productivity. And this works with negative emotions too. If I truly hate the situation I am in, I am going to improve it, in other words I become creative and again solve something.

MBTI
    ISTP

Antisocial one,

No. Its one of those hypothetical N discussion things.

First of all, I want to say I enjoy reading your posts and the issues and questions you raise in them, but I always have difficulty trying to figure out what points you want to discuss.

I sort of half agree, half disagree with the main question. In the particular scenario you described, less emotion and more cold, hard logic would probably have a better result, in the long run, for the wellbeing of the planet. (I personally think that the preservation of the human race as it is will never be a good thing for the planet.) People might be able to survive in a society where emotion is less prevalent, but disregarding all the nuance you would lose by simply deleting emotion, would it be healthy? Okay, so on a whole, emotion may be wreaking havoc on the planet, but would each individual be healthy? Probably not. And if the individuals arent healthy, then the logical society isnt going to function as well as it could.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I'll have you know that not every F feels strongly about saving the human race...
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”