User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Am I as terribly impractical as people tell me? Or is this normal for an INFJ?

I was just thinking about a unique tendancy I have. I'm very bad at dealing with the world around me in literal terms, but I'm great at analyzing situations, emotions, theories, and grammar. For instance, I once had a dilemma in class because I knew that I was supposed to sit down before the bell rang. However, I couldn't sit down, because there was an object obstructing my desk. I couldn't move it because I hadn't been given permission to move it. I couldn't ask someone else to move it, because then I would still be liable for the object's movement, which might not be permitted. I couldn't sit at another desk, because I hadn't been given permission to do that either. I couldn't continue to stand there, because I was supposed to be seated. According to someone else in the classroom, I just stood there, ringing one hand and tapping my head with the other, looking very confused and nervous. Thankfully, someone else saw me staring at the object with confusion, and moved it for me without my asking. I sat down as quickly as possible, realizing that since I hadn't asked them to move it, it wasn't my responsiblity, and I was free of guilt, because I had met expectations, and not done anything I wasn't allowed to, and I internally rejoiced, but I also felt a little guilty because I knew that their helping me might get them into trouble. Another time, I raised my hand and told my teacher that "My desk isn't working, I can't sit down." Afterwards, she give me directions that allowed me to sit down. I got the impression that most people already know what to do in that situation, even though it wasn't written in the Student Handbook or the Syllabus, both of which I had memorized. I've rechecked them since, but there is no procedure for what to do when something causes your desk to be inaccessible, which I found confusing, since there were plenty relating to how and when work should be completed.

Also, I have trouble describing things in concrete terms. For instance, I once tried to enter the classroom, but the door wouldn't open. When I tried to explain the situation, all I came up with was. "This door doesn't work." Thankfully, the person figured out what I meant, and unlocked it. All that my mind could come up with was that a door was a metaphor representing both accessibility and security, and that this metaphor was reminiscent of the Roman god Janus, and that the Latin word ianua meant door, but I had no idea what to do with a door other than just engage my standard procedure for opening it, and to request assistance when that failed.

The point is that somehow, despite all my ability to deal with theories and such, the physical world baffles me to the point that I wouldn't be able to function if I didn't know how to get other people to take care of those aspects for me.

MBTI
    ISTP

Hmmm, I've read this more than a few times... and all I can come up with is "I am pretty sure this is not normal, but I have no idea what else to say on it"!

Normally I'd suggest taking a behavioural test but I don't think that'll offer any insight. However, I am curious if you have any spatial awareness issues - catching balls, playing tetris, even pouring liquids into other containers/measuring portions.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty bad at all those things. I have to pour liquid back and forth several times to stop it in the right place, and even then it's hard to tell where the water should be relative to the line, because if you move, the position of the water to the line appears to change, so you don't know if you got it right. I can't get past the third level in tetris, and I just hold my hands out in front of me when playing catch, hoping it will land near them, and I manage to catch the ball about thirty percent of the time. For some reason, this doesn't affect my ability to type on a keyboard, insert and remove disks, or write with a pen.

Interestingly, I did take a test like that just recently. Here were the results:

Verbal/Linguistic
    100%
    Intrapersonal
    65%
    Logical/Mathematical
    45%
    Musical
    45%
    Interpersonal
    25%
    Visual/Spatial
    25%
    Naturalist
    20%
    Bodily/Kinesthetic
    0%

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I empathize with the passivity aspect of it (I have felt similar constraints on my behavior, especially when younger, like I was powerless to act or do anything because I was too aware of all the expectations on me and had no intuitive sense of what to do to get out of it)... but just not to this extent.

It is like you are so aware of all the expectations that you find yourself in a quandary, being able to do nothing whatsoever because you are perceiving ALL the potential limitations placed on you by others or the environment.

The thing is that the expectations are not that rigid, and that you have power to override them. Some of the expectations are not correct. (For example, a teacher wants you to ask permission for most things; but he would more likely want you to move an object and sit during class, rather than wait for permission.) You did not either have a sense of how to prioritize these things, or you were afraid in the face of having to choose which expectation to throw out because you did not want to do the wrong thing.

So you were thinking far too much, and the damage from that was worse than just breaking a few seeming expectations and realizing that either the punishment was not bad or that you wouldn't even be punished.

I don't know if the spatial issues are involved in this or else signify something completely different. [I am actually very good spatially, despite having the mentioned problem above. My reflexes are so good that something can fall off a shelf nearby and I'll see it out of the corner of my eye and catch it immediately, before I even realize what I'm doing... So I don't know what that says about your situation.]
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Unless I was already in a very agitated state, I think I would have been able to deal with those situations and articulate what I needed.

I do recall in PE once deciding that there was no point to my attempting to hit the volley ball. I simply stepped out of the way whenever it came my direction. Past experience had taught me that the only thing accomplished by my hitting the ball was that I got hurt. The ball never went over the net when I hit it. Hitting it seemed pointless.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Yes, I have trouble explaining things in detail, as well. Maybe it's an Ni thing, because they tend to be forgetful and have poor attention to detail. Of course, it could also be an Se thing, since they may notice the generality of their surroundings but not focus on anything in particular.

Si is the one who will probably notice things better because of their singular focus which involves attention to detail. Ne could also notice details but would probably devise a way to make it better.

On another note, I have come up with a thought about irrational functions.

MBTI
    ISTP

That answer was perfect! Second question;

For some reason, this doesn't affect my ability to type on a keyboard, insert and remove disks, or write with a pen.
    Do you do anything like paint? Any form of art? Have you ever done anything like architecture (drawing or otherwise)?

If not, do you play video games? Mario kart or similar?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    That answer was perfect! Second question;

Do you do anything like paint? Any form of art? Have you ever done anything like architecture (drawing or otherwise)?

If not, do you play video games? Mario kart or similar?
    Hmm... I have drawn something once or twice. Here it is. When I try to draw something, this is the type of thing I can think of. I know it's boring, but it is how I draw.

I can't play Mario Kart very well, but I'm pretty good at RPG's and simulators like Final Fantasy, ADOM., or SimCity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Hmm... I have drawn something once or twice. Here it is. When I try to draw something, this is the type of thing I can think of. I know it's boring, but it is how I draw.

I can't play Mario Kart very well, but I'm pretty good at RPG's and simulators like Final Fantasy, ADOM., or SimCity.
    Hmm, as far as the drawing goes, do you draw by hand? (or paint by hand)

That drawing suggests technical forms of drawing - abstractions - have you ever tried recreating a physical scene (people, places, stuff)?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

When I draw by hand, it looks exactly the same, except it's in pencil instead of pixel. (Get it?)

Occasionally I draw scenes, but they're very simple. They have a lot of detail representing all the aspects of the thing, but according to my art teachers, they're all disproportionate and the small details look as prominent as the big ones.