User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    From what I've gathered based on athenian's description of herself she needs to see a mental health care professional and/or a neurologist.
    I'd advise the same under two conditions;

1) This is new (see a doctor, the spatial awareness problems are probably physical) or getting worse.

2) It impairs your ability to function.

There is nothing that triggers alarm bells, but I must admit, this is something I haven't really heard or read about. The dissonance is something to worry about if it is frequent or is becoming more frequent. I expect that it has to do with excessive traits more than a full blown disorder, assuming that it isn't new or getting worse. (This test might help in finding out if a particular trait is out of whack, relatively speaking).

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I'd advise the same under two conditions;

1) This is new (see a doctor, the spatial awareness problems are probably physical) or getting worse.

2) It impairs your ability to function.

There is nothing that triggers alarm bells, but I must admit, this is something I haven't really heard or read about. The dissonance is something to worry about if it is frequent or is becoming more frequent. I expect that it has to do with excessive traits more than a full blown disorder, assuming that it isn't new or getting worse. (This test might help in finding out if a particular trait is out of whack, relatively speaking).
    I agree. There is no need to think there is a disorder just because a person is different. If spatial sense is deteriorating though I would agree that it is a problem that should be addressed.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I agree. There is no need to think there is a disorder just because a person is different. If spatial sense is deteriorating though I would agree that it is a problem that should be addressed.
    I agree with diiference does not equal problem, but you all seemed to be hinting that athenian's problems are due to type, specifically a function of Ni. She could be describing a physiological problem and would have thought it was something completely normal for INFJs and not sought medical attention. This is dangerous.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I agree with diiference does not equal problem, but you all seemed to be hinting that athenian's problems are due to type, specifically a function of Ni. She could be describing a physiological problem and would have thought it was something completely normal for INFJs and not sought medical attention. This is dangerous.
    I wish you could see the irony, hilarity, and assumptions inherent in your statement...

In fact, this problem has not worsened, it's just how things have always been for me. If anything, my abstractions and ability to construct representations of reality that I can more quickly react to are improving. If it were worsening, I would have seen a doctor.

heart on fire

I have at times gotten like where words would not come to me or I knew what I needed to do but couldn't translate it into actual actions. I don't think it is exactly like what you are decribing because it wasn't because of lack of permission just getting like a glitch between the part of my brain that runs the thoughts and intentions and the part that works the body. Always happens when I was tired or not feeling 100 percent.

Once I kept trying to say something and the word order was completely reveresed. I kept trying and finally had to just get myself home and get to bed. It was the strangest thing and I don't think I could consciously do that.

I feel out of touch with the concrete a lot and I have issues with the balance area of my brain. You might find this site interesting because it talks about how the vestibular part of the brain works to filter info and maybe describing some of what you feel, at least you would know that others have felt it too:

COGNITIVE ASPECTS OF VESTIBULAR DISORDERS - 39k

MBTI
    infx

Hello, you have some very interesting thought processes going on there. Some of them slightly remind me of the characteristics associated with Aspergers Syndrome. I might be completely wrong here. Obviously that kind of an assessment should only be completed by a trained professional. I don't know that much about it but I thought I'd mention it. Do you know much about Aspergers Syndrome? What do you think?
    Last edited by dissolved girl; 08-05-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: I missed the word 'about' out and HAD to put it in.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by dissolved girl View Post
    Hello, you have some very interesting thought processes going on there. Some of them slightly remind me of the characteristics associated with Aspergers Syndrome. I might be completely wrong here. Obviously that kind of an assessment should only be completed by a trained professional. I don't know that much about it but I thought I'd mention it. Do you know much Aspergers Syndrome? What do you think?
    Yes you are right there. It is the motor deficiency associated with asperger autism. A slow reaction is a hindrance (input delay)) in motor coordination.