User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I think there are definitely strong corollaries, especially with NPs. I generally have impulsive long term goals in that in the moment I try and envision as elaborate a plan or scheme as I can muster. I usually cycle a couple of those in the short term until I get sort of a vague outline of what it is I'm interested in. Once I have that I can indulge more full heartedly without guilt on short term pleasures.

I think utilizing your long term planning strategies has to take in to account your temperament. I don't think a large majority of Ps can try and encounter questions like that with the certainty, precision, drive, and adherence that Js can. The self knowledge comes in knowing just how your energy is best invested. My dad and sister INTJ and ISFJ respectively are the kings of that kind of planning, they are notorious in my family for being stingy when it comes to their plans and always having something long and short term they're striving towards. I think it has tie ins with how you reference and recall things. I hate the way my sister thinks of things. It's very evident that her mind works in an objective, check point fashion. She needs the constant verification that what she is doing is "right," she really has trouble with accepting the fact that she can act when there is a large amount of uncertainty.

My dad is similar to an extent but he is much more apt to deal with that internally based on his 'systems' and then proceed to outlining and taking action. When he's in the process of working he likes to have a tightly defined area and attack it in little compartmentalized bits. He is very hard to sway if he sees that he is making consistent progress and is achieving notable results.

What I've realized over the years is that I preform much better and more consistently when I leave myself time to experiment a bit so I can see the scope of something. I know if I hit a particular monotonous snag I will disengage pretty quickly and my output will slow significantly. So I try to get enough coverage to the point where I can easily switch off and recuperate my energy and then engage again if I see it is worthwhile. I always need to have multiple possibilities because I know no matter how much I try, how invested I am, and how serious I am, that I will in the short term always seek greener pastures. So I try and build a plan that takes that into account. It's most certainly not 5 years. More like a series of 1 year plans that leaves me room to fall back on and select a course of action I can really get involved in.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

garbage

Is it considered "delayed gratification" if you typically don't care enough about the present to think about not making sacrifices for the future?

If so, then yes. I have way, way too much delayed gratification, and I'm sure many (but not all) ENTJs can attest to the same. This whole "living for the moment" stuff is something that I actually strive to do.

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    2+1
    Socionics
    ?

OK so I guess it really depends on what your goals are, or what the person is waiting for.
    Of course I can see how it would be hard for a p because they can't plan that far ahead.

Now I realize that it seems that my problem is not the delayed gratification, but the fact that even when I do have a certain goal, it isn't always what I find fun or what will make me happy, instead it's what I need to do - the responsible thing to do....

It seems that my goals are never THE GOAL, it is not the thing that will bring me the happiness, but the beginning of a series of other goals. When maybe somewhere at the end of the tunnel is the thing that will actually bring me happiness....

So no wonder I feel stifled...

I don't even know what to call this, anyone else have a similiar scenario going on??

Thanks all for the input till now.

Best Wishes, Dee

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Is it considered "delayed gratification" if you typically don't care enough about the present to think about not making sacrifices for the future?

If so, then yes. I have way, way too much delayed gratification, and I'm sure many (but not all) ENTJs can attest to the same. This whole "living for the moment" stuff is something that I actually strive to do.
    This is somewhat more similar to how I am. I don't really consciously delay gratification at will - it's just that sometimes I place zero importance on the present, so I do things that look like "delayed gratification". But I dislike thinking about it as a sacrifice - I'm choosing what I want to do.

Btw, on a broader scope, there is nothing inherently good in consistent delayed gratification; typically, it can be thought as a maximization problem subject to some constraint: we want to maximize our happiness, and the constraints are that we live a finite amount of time (so the risk of dying before the gratification has to be taken into account), and the presence of people that do not want to delay gratification (which adds to the risk, because the circumstances that allow us to think about a "goal" might suddenly change and we are left with nothing). So, the process I undergo when I have to decide if to delay gratification or not is to use check and balances and see if my expected increase in happiness will be worth the two risks outlined above.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Delay?!?! :horor:

Life is too short to sit around waiting for things.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^ heehee! Why did I know you were going to say that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

^ because I'm the poster child of hedonism perhaps?

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I agree and empathize completely. I suppose "what others would view as sacrifice" would've been more appropriate, because those "sacrifices" are choices that I make that I believe are in my personal interests. At this stage of my life, though, I'm making fewer and fewer of those choices, trying to live more for the immediate moment.

You don't happen to have an operations research background or something of that nature, do you? Because that's probably the terminology and thought process I would've used if I'd expounded

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

When it comes to food the results are zero delayed gratification .

When it comes to taking the flag, because I am on the site of truth, it becomes more difficult.. :/
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

I just strive for some sort of balance... I'm a pleasure seeker and I like to live for the moment, but I'm not reckless or stupid. I know some things require a bit more time and patience.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson