User Tag List

First 12345 Last

ThatGirl

Ok, I do this all the time.

Was it as good for you as it was for me?

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I always thought "delayed gratification" meant willing to wait for some greater payoff. Your example is good self-discipline but not really what I think of as "delayed gratification". Are they getting more satisfaction from the dessert than they would if they ate it earlier? Not really.

If given the choice between having something great now, or having something even better later, depending on what it is and how long I have to wait, I usually prefer to delay gratification. I'm generally a patient person who understands the importance of holding out for a big payoff.
    This is so funny -- I'm an SP, which means I supposedly can't handle delayed gratification, and yet I totally agree with Kestrel on this. Go for the Big Payoff, people. It's very often worth it. I'm not talking about indefinite waiting, either -- just delayed gratification, in which you can forsee rewards in the near future but you just have to wait until the time is ripe. Just make sure you don't get distracted and miss your opportunity to savor the payoff to the fullest when you finally get it.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    Thanks for the input, this is great. Now I see that I am not the only one,

CreativeRhino, you seem happy about this, you don't feel stifled at times?

Like you are giving up too much?

How do you manage to stay happy about it?

Stifled? No. The funny thing is while I am saving up for one thing, sometimes I get a better / different idea and go do that. I'm not "single minded" about many of my plans/ideas. I often have a few scenarios I work towards and then choose one when I've got the $ required.

When I was at Uni I had so little $ I always worked out ways of talking myself out of getting something that I didn't really NEED, even if I wanted it...

I've often been put under peer pressure to not be so "conservative" financially/materially. I used to work in a very high paid corporate sector - and everybody was just going out and buying what they wanted when they wanted it. There was little pause for thought because money wasn't the issue while things boomed. They were always getting rid of really good old stuff that was now outmoded by a year or so... I still have the stereo system I got when I finished University! I could buy a new one, I could afford a new one but I just don't NEED a new one. Yes, I'd be quite thrilled to play with a new thing, but then the thrill would wear off. In material "goodies" the thrill of the new short lived, and for some people very addictive. I watched this cycle with many of my work mates.

Travel and adventures and learning are what excites me. I collect experiences not *stuff*. I started being a regular traveller 25 years ago and now try to do a big (2 month trip) every 2-4 years. A decent trip is not a cheap thing, and you need to be disciplined and not let sudden urges for a "new toy" bleed the bigger goal's. I know a lot of people who never get what they say they really want because of distractions. They say "oh, you are so lucky you can afford it" but they earn more than me, they just use it differently. I've always lived well within my means so I can save.

Ultimately the only thing we can't replace in life is time so the less time I spend in life working just for $ need the better. I want to retire and do more adventures!

In the last 10 years I've done a couple of the "trips of a lifetime" - one to Namibia and the other to the Galapagos. They didn't disappoint!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    This is so funny -- I'm an SP, which means I supposedly can't handle delayed gratification, and yet I totally agree with Kestrel on this. Go for the Big Payoff, people. It's very often worth it. I'm not talking about indefinite waiting, either -- just delayed gratification, in which you can forsee rewards in the near future but you just have to wait until the time is ripe. Just make sure you don't get distracted and miss your opportunity to savor the payoff to the fullest when you finally get it.
    Agree, with both you and Krestel. However, I always make sure I get little small rewards along the way that don't effect the Big Payoff so I feel like I'm making progress. It really helps to break down the path to Big Payoff into smaller, managable goals so that when I reach one, I can celebrate and then dive right in to making the next goal.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ISFJ

Delayed gratification? Is that, like, tantric sex?

Seriously though, I suck at this. Whenever in doubt the voice inside my head reminds me I could die any second and that life is about the simple pleasures anyway.

Too bad my dreams require heaps of delayed gratification

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I can't do this AT ALL.
    If I want gratification of some sort, I want it now.

It is by far probably the most difficult part of my personality that I deal with. I've had to learn a few tricks to get around it since it causes me to procrastinate like nobody's business.

MBTI
    ESTP

I can do that, but only when it's necessary. I can easily lose a few pounds, but generally, if I want something, I have to have it now! I might not want it anymore in the next seconds.

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Agree, with both you and Krestel. However, I always make sure I get little small rewards along the way that don't effect the Big Payoff so I feel like I'm making progress. It really helps to break down the path to Big Payoff into smaller, managable goals so that when I reach one, I can celebrate and then dive right in to making the next goal.
    Yes, exactly! Nothing wrong in rewarding yourself along the way as you pursue your ultimate goals.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by me_plus_one View Post
    I can do that, but only when it's necessary. I can easily lose a few pounds, but generally, if I want something, I have to have it now! I might not want it anymore in the next seconds.
    The perils of being a P. This is why I can't plan effectively.
    Just because I want something today, doesn't mean I will tomorrow. How can I possibly know what I will want in 6 mths time? I envy people who can seriously answer the question: where do you see yourself in 5 yrs?
    Is this part of being a P or is it just not knowing yourself well enough I wonder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    The perils of being a P. This is why I can't plan effectively.
    Just because I want something today, doesn't mean I will tomorrow. How can I possibly know what I will want in 6 mths time? I envy people who can seriously answer the question: where do you see yourself in 5 yrs?
    Is this part of being a P or is it just not knowing yourself well enough I wonder?

It's developed use of Ni, AND it's related to knowing yourself (Fi). I'm very good at knowing myself, and am working at being better at forseeing how I want to be in the future.