User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

It is very interesting...how a language might shape ones thoughts... I see what you were saying with the gender in nouns. It's like that with Latin and Spanish too for the most part.

This reminds of the three factors that shape personality. Though they are more general and language is a specific case it would be interesting to look into as well as find more specific things like this that help to influence ones thinking.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Sun and moon have different genders in different languages - it's interesting.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Mmm. Raspberry-filled Kennedy.
    Of course the President meant to say, "Ich bin Berliner".

But his grammatical mistake only added to the poignancy of the moment.

When the vast crowd first heard him say, "Ich bin ein Berliner", they paused not quite knowing what he meant.

And then they realised he was putting himself on the line for them. And they simply roared their love for him. And their tears flowed in relief.

It was one of the great moments in human history. But you can't help cheapening it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Of course the President meant to say, "Ich bin Berliner".
    Actually, that's just an urban legend, there was no grammatical mistake, as wiki eloquently explains.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'm just glad English hasn't got much in the way of irregular verbs. Romance languages can be a pain in the arse because of this.

Like Antisocial, I too, feel like a part of me doesn't transpire when I write in English. Still, I've been using English since I was very young, so at times, there's stuff that comes to me quicker when I think in English.

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain
    English in specific tends to have 10,000 diffrent ways to express the same idea or label only to make it seem more politicaly correct. In the ancient languages it is expressed only a couple ways because it evolved enough to articulate it almost flawlessly. While the indoeuropean ones are still young and half-ass.
    Which languages are you referring to in your last sentence? Isn't English indoeuropean?

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Actually, that's just an urban legend, there was no grammatical mistake, as wiki eloquently explains.
    Of course it is an apocryphal story, entirely appropriate to an apocryphal moment in human history.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

If he said "Ich bin Berliner," it would mean he comes from Berlin. Since he said, "Ich bin ein Berliner," he means he was 'one of them' or 'standing up for them'. Here's another example, since this is a language thread:

Ein Deutscher trinkt im Durchschnitt mehr Bier als ein Italiener.

Germans drink more beer on average than Italians.

(Literally: A German drinks more beer on average than an Italian).

But you can also say:

Deutsche trinken im Durchschnitt mehr Bier als Italiener...

(same translation)

So German is quite flexible...

Source for examples: Artikel: Gebrauch: Unbestimmter Artikel

Therefore, it was a rhetorical device called metonymy - where one part is used to represent a whole. By calling himself 'ein Berliner' he was using his person to represent all of them.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain
    English in specific tends to have 10,000 diffrent ways to express the same idea or label only to make it seem more politicaly correct. In the ancient languages it is expressed only a couple ways because it evolved enough to articulate it almost flawlessly. While the indoeuropean ones are still young and half-ass.
    This doesn't make any sense. At all.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I'm just glad English hasn't got much in the way of irregular verbs. Romance languages can be a pain in the arse because of this.

Like Antisocial, I too, feel like a part of me doesn't transpire when I write in English. Still, I've been using English since I was very young, so at times, there's stuff that comes to me quicker when I think in English.

Which languages are you referring to in your last sentence? Isn't English indoeuropean?
    English syntax point proven.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    This doesn't make any sense. At all.
    Once you learn an ancient language it'll all come clear.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?