User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am interested in how language effects our picture of the world and thinking process and what people think about the idea that some languges are better in saying certain things.
    I'm a native English speaker and am fluent in Japanese.

It's hard to say whether the cultures dominant psychology affects the language or vice versa.

An expert in Japanese was once talking about how the Japanese language is thought to be vague.
    He commented that it is not the language itself which is vague because Japanese can be used in the most strict of settings in science. It is the people and the general culture which causes people to use the language in a vague way.

In some ways Japanese is more alive than English. Words change, new words become popular and fade away.
    I would say the language is very social with the community agreeing on what is the in word. While another part remains stable and traditional.

Lots of phrases are built into the language to express the interdependence between people.
    Using Japanese has changed my psychology in that way. I am more aware of interdependence between people.

About what Nolla said. I'm the same way when I translate.
    I think it's like driving a car. When you first learn you're very conscious of the mechanics of driving and you could explain it pretty well.
    But then you become better and you are no longer thinking about the way to drive only where to go in the car so you have a hard time explaining it.

How does it go?

1 Unconscious Incompetence
    2 Conscious Incompetence
    3 Conscious Competence
    4 Unconscious Competence

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Anyone else have new thoughts on this? Interested in input.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I have had my fair share of language problems. The german language is a very emotive language, though it can sound overly very depressing at times. The english language is a very unprecise language, meaning you can say different things with one sentence, but the spoken word and the attitude of the american people in general came off as being very blind or say arrogant to the finer things in life to me (in the beginning when I joined the forum).

Nowadays I tend to not care about it, I accepted the fact that I suck at english . I like the british though, they got style
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Of all the languages I've ever studied, I love German the most....

Which philosopher was it who said:

"Like everything metaphysical the harmony between thought and reality is to be found in the grammar of the language."

"You learned the concept 'pain' when you learned language."

I guess that's true of every sensation, every feeling, every perception. Quite awesome, really, in the true sense of the word....
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Default Shakespearean

English is not a language but a person.

A person we take entirely for granted as he fills our mouth with words every day.

No one really understands him. It's almost as though we can only limn him at dusk.

He was miraculously a humanist.

And so we are all humanists - we have even built a secular society in his honour.

English walks on two legs while the others slither along the floor.

Arabic, for instance, is the language of a religion. And how it hates the language of a person.

If only it could destroy that person for he lives in each one us every time we speak.

And so they wish to destroy every last one of us - so that not one infidel remains.

Are they not afraid we will stamp our feet?

No, they have embarked on the path of suicide, and wish to provoke us to raise our foot and bring it down again, again and again.

But speaking the language of a person, we see ourselves as persons too.

But we are tempted to reify ourselves with MBTI.

Or we are tempted to martyr ourselves in Arabic.

But we remain, thank God, Shakespearean.

MBTI
    xNFP

*shakes head and mutters* INFPs...
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post

*shakes head and mutters* INFPs...
    This is a perfect example of using MBTI to reify me.

Just as the Japanese reified Chinese and POWs by calling them, "logs", before experimenting on them.

And just as the Germans reified the Jews before murdering them wholesale.

And just as the Communists reified the Bourgeoise and Capitalists before liquidating them.

And just as the Islamists reify Jews and Infidels today before murdering them.

It is difficult to do away with a live and breathing person. That is why it is important to turn them into a thing - to reify them - first.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I am totally going to get exterminated, shit. I'm also an INFP! *dodges bombs*
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is a perfect example of using MBTI to reify me.

Just as the Japanese reified Chinese and POWs by calling them, "logs", before experimenting on them.

And just as the Germans reified the Jews before murdering them wholesale.

And just as the Communists reified the Bourgeoise and Capitalists before liquidating them.

And just as the Islamists reify Jews and Infidels today before murdering them.

It is difficult to do away with a live and breathing person. That is why it is important to turn them into a thing - to reify them - first.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I am totally going to get exterminated, shit. I'm also an INFP! *dodges bombs*
    LOL You guys are so silly! That's why I like INFPs - they can make me laugh no matter what mood I'm in, right PurpleChickens???

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I am totally going to get exterminated...
    Of course not. MBTI is merely a left over from the extermination camps.

Today it is merely used by those who have failed to individuate, by those who are dissociated, and by those who lack integrity.

It is used by those who have failed to realise themselves as persons and still see themselves partly as things.

And unfortunately they still see us partly as things as well.

But fortunately MBTI is infallible - it is an infallible sign of bad taste.