User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Why do you cry?

Without even reading the OP, I cry for relief, to assuage pain.

Now, I'm going to read the OP. It sounds as if you're wondering why someone might cry in front of others. I rarely, if ever, do. I hide it. I really never want anyone to see, which is kind of sad, but when I'm feeling shitty enough to cry, I'm usually feeling too vulnerable to let anyone see.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

There are some really interesting replys here.

But crying is not my call for sure.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Tears brought about by emotions have a different chemical make up than those for lubrication; emotional tears contain more of the protein-based hormones prolactin, adrenocorticotropic hormone, and leucine enkephalin (a natural painkiller) than basal or reflex tears. The limbic system is involved in production of basic emotional drives, such as anger, fear, etc. The limbic system, specifically the hypothalamus, also has a degree of control over the autonomic system. The parasympathetic branch of the autonomic system controls the lacrimal glands via the neurotransmitter acetylcholine through both the nicotinic and muscarinic receptors. When these receptors are activated, the lacrimal gland is stimulated to produce tears.
    That is the INTJ answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by THEANO View Post
    girl will only cry during sex when you do it wrong
    So, you say that a girl ALWAYS cries (in your experience)?
    LOL....I don't know about that....I've had girls cry out of shear emotion in the moment.

It was promptly followed by an "I love you"...

....which of course scared teh $!&% outta me
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. --- Maya Angelou

MBTI
    GONE

:yim_rolling_on_the_

BTW, I'd probably cry if something hurt *physically* really, really bad. Like childbirth.

I cried when I sprained my arm and the x-ray technician made me bend my arm 90 degrees in the wrong direction. I was 8? That was the last time I remember crying because of physical pain.

Is the chemical makeup of tears produced from physical pain different?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado44 View Post
    LOL....I don't know about that....I've had girls cry out of shear emotion in the moment.
    Stop shearing their emotions, you cruel man!
    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Is the chemical makeup of tears produced from physical pain different?
    Hold on while I punch you in the face and we can do an experiment!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP

I'll reiterate what some people have already said. It's a nervous system/hormone/chemical/body type thing. And people have different 'thresholds' and 'triggers'. Some people end up being more sensitive than others.

I've been hugely misunderstood by my family because I've always been a "crybaby" I've been accused of being manipulative and mentally weak, but it's not something I can control, no matter how hard I try. I've only become better at hiding it.

I totally envy people who rarely cry (being on the verge of tears when you want to say something is a huge nuisance) but it's good to know that people realise it's a body reaction.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am posting this as a mature topic and people will probably feel more comfortable in this section.

This is how I see it

In many cases this is a female thing.
    Usually something happens or something says something and then the hurt person trys to control itself. It look as the person is trying to swallow something and then he/she cracks and person is all tears in a second.

What I am interested in is what happens in your head that something like this happens?
    I am tring to undersand what has to happen that grown up starts to cry.

Also I am aware that I am asking quite hard question and that the answer can be hard to put into words.

As for me I don't cry at all if we overlook some situations from an early childhood. What was probably more instinctive then when grow up people cry. Also I don't feel the need to cry.
    This was to make it more clear why I am asking the question.
    I have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and because of the severe emotional dysregulation involved in the PTSD, I am unable to control crying spells when they happen. Affect dysregulation as a result of trauma is common..... VERY VERY frustrating and painful, but common.

In my case it has nothing to do with being female I am quite sure that if I didn't have PTSD, I would not cry easily. I didn't cry easily at all before I got sick.
    j'adore les chats

MBTI
    ENFP

emotional lability caused by brain damage causes uncontrollable crying (and /or laughing) spells
    All I know for sure is that I come from a long line of dead people

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5&2
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Default Regressing

Personally, I correlate crying with regression.

I don't cry very often. Usually I cry because I'm frustrated by something practical--not because I'm having an emotional response to a traumatic situation.

Pick up my heart and break it into a million pieces, I won't cry. Give me an impossible puzzle with ever-increasing pressure and dammit, well, now I just can't hold the tears back.

In the moment that I start crying I am ready to sacrifice. The situation seems irreconcilable by me. Give up, walk away. If not forever, than at least for a time. It's the moment when I decide that something is more trouble than its worth. And even though I'm twenty, I'm probably wishing that mommy or daddy would make it better.
    If thou hast T already, first get UT.
    Then get O.
    And so at last get OUT.
    --Crowley