User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 122

Thread: Why do you cry?

  1. #41
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,707

    Default

    Overwhelming, intense physical and/or emotional experiences.
    Happy/relieved tears.
    There's a lot of movies that make me cry too. The Green Mile would probably top that list.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    OMG REALLY?

    Shit, I thought the girl always cried during sex...

    Oh NO!

  3. #43
    Senior Member THEANO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    343

    Default

    girl will only cry during sex when you do it wrong
    So, you say that a girl ALWAYS cries (in your experience)?
    All I know for sure is that I come from a long line of dead people

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by THEANO View Post
    girl will only cry during sex when you do it wrong
    So, you say that a girl ALWAYS cries (in your experience)?
    Most likely a joke. I took it that way.

  5. #45
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,907

    Default

    I cry sometimes... I won't tell you what makes me cry, though.

    I can tell you one thing, though. A few days a go, I looked up the cambrian period, and started reading about all the periods from there to present day, and I have to say that while I did not shed a tear, I did get a little sulky reading about one mass exctinction after another. The trilobites, the dinosaurs, etc...
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  6. #46
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    No, not outside of movies with bad actors. That's a very strange sight... someone sobbing with dry eyes.
    I haven't had the dry sobs in years.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #47
    Senior Member THEANO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Most likely a joke. I took it that way.

    Well done. It WAS a joke
    All I know for sure is that I come from a long line of dead people

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    837

    Default

    I think what would cause me to cry is the purity of my emotions at the time. It's like overdosing on a drug because it's too pure and strong. For example, not too long ago a friend of mine died, and while I was thinking about that, and nothing else, I could sense that I was about to cry. It was because I was lost in a world of fantasy and emotion.

    I was thinking about things that I would never otherwise think about. I was being sentimental about things that I'm not usually sentimental about. I was imagining myself having a very emotional reaction because that's usually what happens to people when someone close dies. While I was thinking about all of these really sappy things, I kind of realized that I was only doing it to see what it was like. It didn't really resonate with reality to me. I was about to get all emotional and cry about a deep sadness that I was merely imagining in my head.

    And I think that's why I don't cry that often. It seems fake to me. I wonder, though, if that feeling that I get sometimes is what it's always like for other people who cry easily. To get lost in an emotion as if it's actually reality... and instead of realizing it's not and snapping back, going even deeper into it. It would be easy to cry if I did that, and I'm not really opposed to it so I can seem tough, it's just that it doesn't seem to make sense to do it. I like having my usual perspective on things. I take on the emotions slowly, one bit at a time, processing them as I go with my analytical mind, sort of like building up tolerance to the drug so I don't overdose on it. And that's just my natural way of doing it, I guess. It wasn't even a conscious choice I made because emotions scare me or anything. It's just a system I adopted over time. I got better at cleaning dishes and dealing with negative emotions.

    There's some people, where if you call them a bad name, they will cry. I've never understood that. It's like they are instantly transported into a different world or something. They are transported into a world where the name caller's opinion is actually important, or into a world where they hate themselves. They do that instead of taking a step back, analyzing it for a second, and concluding that the other person is a jackass and that there's nothing to worry about. If you're going to get lost in fantasy land, at least have it be a land where you're the shit so you can fight back!

    So, my made up on the spot theory is that people cry when they leave the big objective picture behind and enter into a fantasy where their emotions are allowed to run freely. In other words, they overdose because it's too powerful to take straight. (And I'm not implying that it's actually a bad thing, that's just how it happens. My analogy is not perfect, because overdosing on drugs or something IS usually a bad thing, but you know what I mean. At least I hope so.)

    Gratitude and happiness are subject to this too, I believe. Only sticking with the cold hard facts doesn't always make things better. How could we love without imagination?
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. #49
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    I cry when I'm sad, hurt, angry, or afraid.

    It's the body's way of getting something out of its system when you cannot or choose not to be heard by voicing your thoughts and feelings or to release the buildup of emotional energy in another manner.

  10. #50
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Cried like a wee baby yesterday for several hours >.<
    Stop contradicting our type stereotypes!!! Get back to work, CEO! :P

    -----
    Answer to OP:

    Crying is exactly what people have said -- when your physical body can no longer handle your emotional (and sometimes hormonal/chemical/neurochemical) response to things.

    Sometimes like 'flight or fight' your body will teeter between tears or violence. I guess crying is a 'violent' outletting in a way.

    Basically, you have to get 'rid' of all that stuff and let it process itself out.

    Some people have 'higher' or 'lower' chemical thresholds than others, everyone has different triggers, and some people try harder than others to suppress the urge to cry.

    Also, upbringing and experience have A LOT to do with it.

    Yes, I'm ENFP but I grew up in a very cold environment where crying was met with indifference and later ridicule and contempt. That teaches you quick to NOT cry (or at least not let anyone see you!)

    Testosterone supposedly makes it harder for you to even *want* to cry.

    "Crying is a chick thing" ?? LOLOL.

    PS, the idea that NFs as a group cry a lot or more than NTs or SJs or XX is totally false. Part of being 'emo' is also trying very much to process, understand, and deal with emotions before that tipping point. And not wanting to unleash flood gates, particularly in front of others (it would bring others down, be uncouth, or take off the mask and that is a NO NO to emotional people who hold their feelings sacred and private)

    The only people who cry readily and in public are sensitive people?

    I admire people who can let themselves cry when they feel like it. Holding back tears is physically painful.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. Why do you do it?
    By Mycroft in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-27-2016, 01:17 PM
  2. [ENTP] ENTPs, how often do you cry, [if ever] and why?
    By Spry in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
  3. Why do you have deficit of self-esteem?
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 03:25 AM
  4. Why do you support Obama?
    By Metamorphosis in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 12:30 AM
  5. Why do you give rep points?
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 02:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO