User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Thread: Why do you cry?

MBTI
    fool

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    who the hell would torture a duck???
    If you sleep in fluff sheets, it's most likely it's taken by torturing ducks (it's literally pulled off from them).

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

The short answer? It relieves stress. What happens in my head? I think "Dangit, I'm going to cry, I hate that; my nose is going to get all stuffy *sigh* dumb hormones"

The long answer? Tears that accompany sorrow contain important chemicals that relieve the body of stress and tension. The chemicals leucine, enkephalin, and prolactin are found only in tears that are shed in response to sorrow.

Tears that are shed because of exposure to a cut onion, for example, contain
    few such substances. A further benefit of tears is that they cleanse the body of toxins. They also have bacterial-static properties that retard the growth of bacteria in the eyes and nasal cavity, through which the tears drain.

(Research from St. Paul-Ramsey Medical Center, University of Minnesota, 1984)

How do tears form?

A lacrimal gland located above each eyeball produces a fluid. This secretion
    flows through several small ducts in the underside of the eyelids. The resulting tears wash over the eyes and out through two lacrimal ducts.

Mourning activates the limbic system of the brain. The limbic system is the bodys center of emotions. It processes all the feelings of pain, pleasure, anger, rage, fear, sorrow, affection, agreeability, and mourning. It is
    made up of several small lobes of the forebrain that include the hippocampus, the cingulate gyrus, and parts of the cortex, thalamus, and hypothalamus. These lobes are all tied together through an intricate
    network of nerves and blood vessels. If these interconnections are destroyed, a person may lose all sense of emotion and reality.

During the process of mourning, the limbic system produces substances that
    carry coded messages from one lobe to another. Some of these substances, called hormones, are carried in the bloodstream. Others, called neurotransmitters, send their messages along the network of nerves that
    interconnect its various parts. The emotion of mourning includes the result of the sum total of all these messages within the brain.

The limbic system causes the hypothalamus to transfer mourning to the body. As the hormones and neurotransmitters produced by the limbic system are picked up by the hypothalamus, they produce dramatic physical changes throughout the body. The hypothalamus controls the release of more than a dozen other hormones that can cause the entire body to react physically to our emotions. The hypothalamus can stimulate tears, dizziness, stomach
    cramps, weakness, surges of strength, nausea, and dilation of the pupils of the eyes. Most importantly, it controls the appetite for food.

The hypothalamus deactivates the appetite and reverses the body's metabolism as well...

TMI!!
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    If you sleep in fluff sheets, it's most likely it's taken by torturing ducks (it's literally pulled off from them).
    Can't they just kill them first?

Is it wrong that you [I]don't[I] cry? I have not cried in many years.... maybe 1998? But I will feel teary-eyed when watching a touching movie or something or seeing someone else cry. So it is like I have the feeling to some extent, but the tears do not come with it.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I cry when I'm really emotionally stressed. It takes a loooong time for it to build up to that point, though.
    This.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I only cry is certain situations.

I have cried at a funeral, but because it was personal. I don't think I'd cry at a normal funeral, but just feel strongly and grieve.

Sometimes, I'll just randomly start tearring up when I feel emotional and deep.

I sometimes cry for others in severe emotional pain. A kid at my school's brother shot himself, and feeling this kids pain, I shed a few tears.

I cried watching 9/11 videos.

So, in general, I don't think I cry in an average emotional crisis. It has to be something that I use my N to blow up in my head, realize it's significance, and feel so deeply towards, that I cry.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    Can't they just kill them first?
    Hello .. How can you say that?? I want to go to the supermarket just to buy all the ducks (frozen obviously) just so i can give them a proper burial .. For practical reasons, i can not do this .. I haven't won the lottery .. Ducks are cute, you feed them with your children on a sunny day .. .. :P
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

You sound like my sister. Also ESFJ. :P

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I cry when other people cry.
    I can cry when I'm sad... or when I'm fully of joy.
    I also cry when I'm chopping onions. (ouch, and my eyes sting)
    Also, I can make myself cry if I concentrate hard enough. Then I will cry spontaneously. It's a good skill for the theater.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

I cry when I get worked up about things. And when I feel helpless or scared or frustrated or because the saddest thing just happened and I can't express it any other way.

I'd love to say I have a hold on it, but no, I don't. I'm a crier. Even when there's a sad movie or song or book, I'm bawling, going, "That's so beautiful...!" to no one in particular. I admit this.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    No, I can't even cry in private. If I'm in a screaming fit of rage (like once every 5-7 years), tears stream down. I'm not denying emotions - it's just not my natural reaction to sadness or whatever emotion is supposed to trigger tears. I can feel very shitty without getting my face all wet. The same way I can recognize that things are funny without actually laughing...
    Totally relate to this. I've often found that the sorts of things others cry over, I just can't understand why crying helps at all, either the situation externally or their situation internally. If something's unjust, unfair, or otherwise not right, my response is very seldom sadness but far more likely to be anger, and that anger prompts me to DO something to put it right, to go on the warpath as it were. And yes, occasionally I have trashed rooms and it's felt GOOD! But no, no tears for me. It's not a conscious choice.

There have been times when I've felt a sort of hopelessness, a sort of despair, that has come close to making me cry - it's made me WANT to cry and I've known at the time that if I could, I might even feel better, a release sort of thing. But I've just not been able to. Because instantly I'm analyzing... it feels like I'd be crying on purpose, actually trying to, and the thought is just so ludicrous, it would feel so fake, so contrived, I just can't bring myself to do it. Emotional responses are supposed to be genuine if nothing else, so if I have to make myself do it, what's the point?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen