User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Thread: Why do you cry?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I cry when I'm really emotionally stressed. It takes a loooong time for it to build up to that point, though.

I also cry when I'm happy. Like, a lot. When I feel really loved, or have intense warm fuzzies. It can be kind of embarrassing.
    Funny .. i must be at extremes again as i get frustrated at hearing that people CANT cry (it is a natural bodily emotional repsonse afterall), does that mean you don't have a soft side or you just choose not to show it, even in private?? then there is the other extreme where people get really emotional .. it blows my mind. It is good though to hear all of this .. not everybody is me with my thinking .. I am learning .. slow and steady wins the race .. Breathe .. lol
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

No, I can't even cry in private. If I'm in a screaming fit of rage (like once every 5-7 years), tears stream down. I'm not denying emotions - it's just not my natural reaction to sadness or whatever emotion is supposed to trigger tears. I can feel very shitty without getting my face all wet. The same way I can recognize that things are funny without actually laughing...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I think that's typical for NT's. Like I said before in this topic, I only ever cried once.

I think NT's just don't cry much or at all, we have different ways to deal with heavy emotions. Only in the unlikely event our usual methods don't seem sufficient, we may cry.

And after that we may even cry about the fact we cried, because truthfully, what good does crying do for a rationalist? Personally, I don't see the point. Steps need to be taken in order to move on, crying is a waste of time. (In the mind of a rationalist.)

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Man, it takes alot to really make me cry. It has to be a combination of self-sacrifice on my part, perceived betrayal, and genuine surprise. I think the surprise is what takes it from hurting to utterly overwhelming... otherwise I build up my walls and shoulder the blow.

Something finally got me last year that caused me openly weep, and before that I'd have to go all the way to junior year of high school. It's pretty rare.

MBTI
    ENTP

simple fact: I don't. I can't even remember the last time I did, I think I must've been like 6 or something. Or more accurately, I can't. I've wanted to a number of times, but just not been able to.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

A few times a year, usually over the stuff people generally cry about just far less often than a lot of people

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Sometimes I'd like my eyes to water just to check if my eye's moisturizing system's still online.
    But nah, I don't cry. Or very very very rarely.
    I don't think it's ridiculous to cry, I don't mock it (or make it more important than it actually is), I don't think it's a sign of weakness. I do my best to help my friends when they turn into waterfalls.

gotta go
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Funny .. i must be at extremes again as i get frustrated at hearing that people CANT cry (it is a natural bodily emotional repsonse afterall), does that mean you don't have a soft side or you just choose not to show it, even in private??
    Not a question of conscious choice - my subconscious makes the choice for me, and I can't override it.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Not a question of conscious choice - my subconscious makes the choice for me, and I can't override it.
    +1, annnnd.... in certain instances, I can snap my fingers to make myself . Like being 16, getting into a car wreck, which totalled the car, and "explaining" it to my dad after....I started the tearworks well before I got him on the phone.

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I cry when I'm really emotionally stressed. It takes a loooong time for it to build up to that point, though.
    +1

And I only ever do it alone.

A few movies have made me cry (you'd never know if you were seated next to me though) as have war memorials. With the latter, I have a way of imagining the fear and the loneliness the soldier may have been feeling. And imagining them dying in the thick of battle away from their loved ones for a cause they may or may not believe in and... oh man.