• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Supposed "intelligence" quotient

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Short and sweet:

I have, in my life, known people with supposedly low IQs who consistently picked up on things I overlooked and whose friendship has been indispensable, and people with supposedly high IQs whose heads were so far in the clouds they were about as useful as a zero dollar bill. So what the hell are IQ tests measuring?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Short and sweet:

I have, in my life, known people with supposedly low IQs who consistently picked up on things I overlooked and whose friendship has been indispensable, and people with supposedly high IQs whose heads were so far in the clouds they were about as useful as a zero dollar bill. So what the hell are IQ tests measuring?

I suspect that IQ tests measure breadth of intelligence rather than depth of intelligence. However, I'm aware that I often offer ill-considered, fallacious opinions immediately upon discovering a seemingly snappy one-liner to deliver them in. So I'm probably wrong.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Short and sweet:

They measure your ability answer a set of questions. These questions are meant (in general) to produce two sets of numbers - gF and gC. These results are then used to compare to other test results and surveys.

They work well at predicting other results, such as job performance, academic achievement, rate of learning, bredth of knowledge, rate of information absorbtion, etc. In some cases, they have been shown to be among the best predictors of the above despite having no underlying association with them. (gF and gC measuring slightly different things, correlations may vary, some conditions, like job type/area of study, blah blah).

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, they never claimed to measure your intelliegence, only your intelligence quotient. I would say that the tests measure a person's aptitude in math and language, but it can't measure perceptiveness or creativity. So that might be where the disparity exists. Also, the people with low scores might have just gotten questions they didn't happen to know the answers to, even though their intelligence is actually quite high generally. It could also have just been a hard test, or a bad day.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
It annoys me how people seem unable to accept that IQ tests try to measure intelligence, not creativity, how socially skilled a person is, if the person is a good one, is likeable, practical, skillfull, good in bed, with kids or whatever people think is important. It is like criticizing a physics book for not saying enough about baseball.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, they never claimed to measure your intelliegence, only your intelligence quotient. I would say that the tests measure a person's aptitude in math and language, but it can't measure perceptiveness or creativity. So that might be where the disparity exists. Also, the people with low scores might have just gotten questions they didn't happen to know the answers to, even though their intelligence is actually quite high generally. It could also have just been a hard test, or a bad day.

There is a pretty high standard deviation (15 points) on IQ tests. However, it has been shown that the improvement gap (ie: not familiar with questions) is mostly present on people who had little to no formal training (ie: 3rd world country farmer), all the way to extensive preparation. And even then, the gF factor is pretty consistent. For most people, your IQ variates quite a bit less than the SD, no matter how much you prepare.

Short of cheating, of course :D

It annoys me how people seem unable to accept that IQ tests try to measure intelligence, not creativity, how socially skilled a person is, if the person is a good one, is likeable or whatever people think is important. It is like criticizing a physics book for not saying enough about baseball.

That's one thing that I find with IQ tests. Too many people get hung up on "intelligence" being the golden standard of a person. It measures what it measures, it correlates to what it correlates. So many things matter in life... Attacking the test or reading more into the test are just flip sides of that sensitivity to "IQ".

(I still want to take the KAIT to see how it's done. Too bad it's so damn expensive to get a "real" IQ test. BAH.)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
To regulate, to control, to have power, to own.

Money, power, beauty, intelligence.

A place in the kingdom to come.

You can always catch a fly. You either kill it or let it go.

Last edited:

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I remember from sociology classes one of the things IQ tests measure is how well you've been socialized into that particular culture.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I remember from sociology classes one of the things IQ tests measure is how well you've been socialized into that particular culture.

There is a difference in correlating and measuring...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I bet the Uni-bomber had a high IQ being a math professor and all. IQ is nice but it's not everything.

heart

heart on fire
So what the hell are IQ tests measuring?

follow directions (accept a problem to be solved and the way to solve it)

follow the right steps and arrive at the correct solution (correct as defined by the test maker)

memorize the cultural "great ideas," historical figures and battles, scientific data, and other inert "facts" deemed important by the test makers

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Wildcat: ...huh?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
follow directions (accept a problem to be solved and the way to solve it)

follow the right steps and arrive at the correct solution (correct as defined by the test maker)

memorize the cultural "great ideas," historical figures and battles, scientific data, and other inert "facts" deemed important by the test makers

Funny, this is exactly what turns people into idiots. In theory, watching CNN all day should make your IQ score skyrocket! People who are smart either have an inability to formulate their own viewpoints or intuitively know what answer the tests "want" but maintain their own viewpoint.

I always looked at intelligence as a matter of perspective. People who I consider intelligent are ones who think outside of the box.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wildcat: ...huh?

I think what Wildcat meant is that it measures your ability to succeed in a standardized way at standardized tasks and goals. That's my best guess, anyway.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Short and sweet:

As some others stated, IQ tests show your ability to answer a set of questions. :p

In seriousness, many "Gifted" people or High IQ individuals tend to have problems functioning on a social scale. Some of them struggle to take social cues, communicate readily, etc. which can make them very hard to work with despite their above average intellectual abilities. They may have high intelligence but often their social IQs are lower.

I prefer the types of intelligent quotients which analyze the many aspects of intelligence, to find what specific things you are in fact intelligent with. A simple test may not say a lot.