• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think about typology in your day-to-day interactions with people?

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
I don't think I am that good of a typer to be able to actually better understand and communicate with others.
I almost never encounter people that accurately represent types, but generally, typing comes as an explanation for their behavior.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use typology as a means of understanding people pretty much all of the time. I am reasonably skilled at guessing other people's type (for example, I recently met an ENTJ on a long plane journey and I had her pegged as an Extraverted Thinking type almost straight away, as she kept talking about organisation). However, it is much easier to notice when a person is using a specific type function, regardless of what their innate type may be.

To use myself as another example - when I'm using Fe I start smiling and nodding in an attempt to gain rapport with another person. This happens automatically with me, but I do notice when I start doing it. Then if someone asks me a question requiring my Ni, I will go quiet for a few moments, narrow or close my eyes, then come back out to share my intuitive impressions. This is the sort of thing I notice other people doing all the time.

It's incredibly helpful to recognise when someone is Introverting, as I then know to give them time and space to finish the process. Conversely, when a person is Extraverting it is often OK to interrupt them mid-flow to join in the conversation.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'm not sure if I was right, but I was talking to a customer earlier, telling them I didn't like sports, and a guy behind her asked me what hobbies I have since didn't like sports. I told him psychology right now, personality profiling to be specific. I said I like analyzing behavior.

Then after he finished checking out, the next group came up and this lady had a really sparkling christmas shirt on. She was asking me if I had "sized her up" with my personality profiling. So, I told her, "well, judging by having that kind of shirt on, you're like an extravert for not minding the attention draw to yourself. Also, since you like wearing something so bright and shiny, you're probably more into practical things than ideas and theories." She said to me, "Wow, you're so right!" I was guessing at her being an extraverted sensor by wearing an outfit like she had on. That was cool if I was right.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Then after he finished checking out, the next group came up and this lady had a really sparkling christmas shirt on. She was asking me if I had "sized her up" with my personality profiling. So, I told her, "well, judging by having that kind of shirt on, you're like an extravert for not minding the attention draw to yourself. Also, since you like wearing something so bright and shiny, you're probably more into practical things than ideas and theories." She said to me, "Wow, you're so right!" I was guessing at her being an extraverted sensor by wearing an outfit like she had on. That was cool if I was right.

I wish I had that kind of cause and effect logic in my head :) All I can do is kinda stare at something until I get insight. It makes me bad when I gotta back up my arguments. You lucky SJs you :D

Like a few others here, I don't really think about type when interacting, but post-social I think about people's types more. If I cant type someone right now, oh well I can wait. I like keeping ideas about people open until I get what I feel is the RIGHT answer.

All in all its more of a hobby than a prediction factor. I'm more interested in watching their XXXXness than predicting what they'll do.

Predictability is boring when there's too much of it :cheese:

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
All the time, but I kind of suck at typing.

If I do happen to peg a personality type for a person, I don't really do anything with it. I just wanna know their preferences. It gives insight into who they really are.

It's so cool when you finally figure it out.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
ha i had at least 10 people approach me in work and ask about personality stuff

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
That's kind of a broad statement.

So what? ;)

It's helped me to understand why my ENFP friend only sticks to a fraction of the million appointments she makes.

I think I understand her, maybe. She means to come but then forgets about it or there is something more interesting to do. Don't take it so seriously! :cheese:

MBTI helps though for me to understand my polar opposites, like ESTPs, ENFPs and ESFPs. Before MBTI, I knew about those "kinds" of people, and I didn't really like labeling them as "bad" people. I just knew before I met them that I wouldn't get along with them. Now I know why they are the way they are. It still takes more effort than the average person for me to put up with them. I just want to yell at them, "SETTLE DOWN!"

Do you understand ENFP's now?
I think I've figured out ISTJ's at least for some level.
My interaction with ISTJ's drive then nuts. :smile:

And if a P say they'll maybe be there, there's a 0% chance they'll be there.

heheh

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
I use it often. Sometimes to the point of annoying others, but I can only go so far. As far as typing people I have a good record.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
if people are the map, and MBTI is the key, then how i see the vast majority of people using the MBTI is to scratch out the words on the key and write in their own... "trying to find that one park, i could-a swore it was around here but all i see on the map is a humongous picnic table"

this is the dangers of subjective "color-coding", the files were always there, but since you insisted on organizing them in such a way you're almost guaranteed to never find what you're looking for