User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i'm still learning but i'd like to be able to...communicating effectively to people is really important to me...so i'd like to understand as much as possible and be able to speak their language.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    LoLz

Yeah, instead of thinking "That person is a fucking idiot" after talking to someone, isn't it better to think, "Oh, they did that because they're an NF. I'll talk to them again"?

But, it's so easy to make fun of the xSFJs for being walking charm school teachers.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    i do it constantly to the point that it is now sub/un-conscious. i type by temperaments

Same here. .

I even asked some of my co-workers to take a personality test. Not surprising...they are ALL sensation seekers. I already knew it before they took it.
    Ombaaraminayasabaha
    4w5 sx/so/sp

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

It has ceased, fortunately. I've had one whole birthday party of someone without having the tendency to type people. Now occasionally I use it to understand things I otherwise wouldn't, now I can explain them 'in some way' because of their type. I can't stand, it would be too much in the way otherwise. At home I sometimes still think a little of someone's type.

And sometimes it's so plain obvious, now it's ESTP that I recognize, before that it was ENTJ. It's nice, but I have to control it (not let it get out of hand, not let it bother me) somehow.

Btw, totally off-topic, but I have discovered life is endlessly more superficial than one can think (than I used to think)!
    INtj | 9w1

garbage

I know I wouldn't want to be defined by my type! Someone could type me as an ENTP and think that I'd be lazy and unreliable, or ENTJ and think that I'd just be a prick to them and not bother talking to me anymore

That said, I tend to subconsciously use it as a way to be able to communicate and work more effectively with other people. More generally, I've grown to better understand the differences between the preference dichotomies and how others (in general) might perceive and interact with the world at large.

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    Yeah, instead of thinking "That person is a fucking idiot" after talking to someone, isn't it better to think, "Oh, they did that because they're an NF. I'll talk to them again"?
    Yeah, mostly this for me.. I tend to be more understanding of others because of a potential difference in type, rather than shutting them out because of it.

Just as some others have mentioned in their own words, I notice traits and behavior in other people and I can understand the information just fine without bothering to apply an MBTI label to them. I see the person, not the type code. It's not like we thought everybody was the exact same before we heard of the MBTI. The advantages of being able to use MBTI to understand a person's behavior and thought process quicker than usual are easily cancelled out by inaccuracy, stereotypes, and false conclusions.

Sometimes it's just fun, and sometimes I'm sure it can be helpful, but those are the reasons why I don't ever type people in real life.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't consciously use it in my interactions with people, but it is always in the back of my mind, and I end up trying to type people and guess where they fit.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
    It has ceased, fortunately.....

Btw, totally off-topic, but I have discovered life is endlessly more superficial than one can think (than I used to think)!
    Congratulations!

I don't use typology to try to understand a person better. But sometimes, when I interact with someone I try to guess their type....but only by curiosity.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
    But can you imagine if everyone was all "can't talk, meditating" every minute of the day?