User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Just curious how much people think about type theory when they are away from this forum and are interacting face-to-face with others. Do you use it in your interactions with others to help you understand or relate to them better? If you do use it, it is some thing that is always in the back of your mind when you are interacting with them?
    ALWAYS!
    It is the number one tool I use for understanding people, for understanding where they're coming from, why they're acting like that, or saying those things, at least in a general way. It helps me know how to respond to people in a way that they will best understand.

I don't analyze people too deeply or jump to conclusions about what their type is, but MBTT helps me understand some different facets of a person's thinking and thus behavior, and it helps me get along with them better, when in the past, I might have stubbornly tried to get someone to do something MY way, I see the value of THEIR way a little more, and can adapt myself if I need to.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Sometimes, when there are problems.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP

Just curious how much people think about type theory when they are away from this forum and are interacting face-to-face with others. Do you use it in your interactions with others to help you understand or relate to them better? If you do use it, it is some thing that is always in the back of your mind when you are interacting with them?
    I think about it a lot. Sometimes I even regret learning about it as it has changed everything for me with how I understand people. From time to time I get skeptical about the whole thing, but it does come in handy in helping me understand how to get along and meet people in their own mental territory.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    istp

i see MBTI as a hammer that nobody needed. despite this, people who know of it will proceed to hit things with said hammer, when this hammer was best left for nailing ideas about personality together into a system and leaving it at that.

the vast majority of the present population is unaware of MBTI as well as the entire population that existed prior to its conception, and yet our society was built and maintained. since the MBTI is not necessary for human interaction, then that cannot be its purpose, which leaves it as just another system to describe categories of personality as we see them (albeit more in-depth than most). even in this sole purpose of description it is somewhat ineffective since the lack of quantifiable attributes allows too much heresy.

to ignore that and continue on to actually attempt to use the MBTI to learn about and apply towards people would be a gross overestimation of its capabilities, and many times, i would predict, actually create more harm than enhancement towards social interaction.

MBTI
    ENTP

I see it as a 'tool' for my analysis. I remember that when I used to analyze myself or some people a few years ago, I arrived to some conclusions that I found after on MBTI, so I don't see why I shouldn't use it right now.
    I listen first to my own analysis, and then refine it with MBTI.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    to continue past that and actually try to use the MBTI to learn about and apply towards people would be a gross overestimation of its capabilities, and many times, i would predict, actually create harm towards rather than enhance social interaction.
    Only if...

MBTI
    infp

I used to, but I don't any more. I think it's probably one of the worst things you can do. If you start thinking like "that guy is usually ENTJ but right now he's being very ENFP" or "I was being like an ESFJ that whole night, and it bothered me", and especially if you assume what someone is like because you guess what "type" they are, delete your account immediately, because you're taking this whole thing way too seriously. It seems more than a few people do that -they trust it and believe in it so much that it defines what it is to be human as much as any great work of art or literature -and sometimes even more than authentic interaction and understanding. And then it hits them that it's pretty much nonsense. Everyone criticizes Victor for saying it's about as accurate as astrology. Hell, I've probably criticized him for it, but he's probably right.

I think the only useful part of MBTI is just seeing that people can and do in fact act and think differently, even if in the end I don't think they behave in the same way these "types" and "functions" neccesarily describe it.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    I see it as a 'tool' for my analysis.
    Same

MBTI
    INtP

It occasionally comes to mind, much more so than it used to since I've started hanging around here. To be honest, I wish it wouldn't. It's all too easy for me to try and go from an observation to using it as some sort of predictor, or to take my quasi-educated guess as even remotely accurate.

There are very, *very* few people I've ever met who I'd be confident in my assumptions about their type (if such a thing is even that hard-set and permanent). Not coincidentally, those people are the same people for whom typing does the least for me - I know them so well that my knowledge of them transcends type. Most people? I can identify certain behaviors as characteristic of type A or type B, but wouldn't stretch so far as to assume that those behaviors are a reflection of the person's actual thoughts and motives - or even that they're characteristic of the person as a whole. For most people in our lives, we only see the surface, which seems inadequate to form an opinion on something as encompassing as personality.

Not that it stops me from agreeing with someone's self-assessment, but even so, I try not to (although sometimes, especially since I spend so much time here, I fail quite spectacularly) to not base any conclusions on it. I still think that the most important thing about type is to simply acknowledge that others really *are* working from different assumptions and areas of importance - in that respect, it's a good thing, I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It will usually cross my mind but I'm really not good enough at it for it to be of any use.