User Tag List

First 12

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I don't understand the constant search for individuality and being precieved as genuine, both as the standard we hold for ourselves as well as the standard we judge others by.

Can someone please explain this to me?
    If you want the real long ass answer to that question, you can always pick yourself up a copy of Charles Taylor's Sources of the Self: The Making of the Modern Identity.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't understand the constant search for individuality and being precieved as genuine, both as the standard we hold for ourselves as well as the standard we judge others by.
    I don't have to search for it. It found me. Some people look for the meaning. It makes laugh. All it means is I am different.

I must be some kind of maverick

MBTI
    isfp

Can someone please explain this to me?
    I wonder sometimes if the constant search for individuality (or rather, ways of expressing yourself differently from the majority of people around you) isn't just due to people wanting to be noticed, to be admired, and to be loved. Everyone's an individual, and that should be obvious whether you look "individualistic" or not, but some people just need to express what they see as being their unique traits in obvious ways.

As for being perceived as genuine -- it's desirable because it's really tiresome to meet someone who seem to be one particular way on the surface and then when you get to know them better, you find out that's all for show. It complicates relationships, and can sometimes ruin them. I'd rather know what I'm dealing with straight up front than have to wait weeks/months/years for any particular person's habitual personality traits to surface.