User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you focus on action or intention more?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Action

    11 37.93%
  • Intention

    18 62.07%
123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 27

  1. #1
    Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    697

    Default Action vs. Intention

    Which do you focus on more, and why?

    I tend to focus more on action. I often don't have a problem if the other person's intention isn't something I'd normally like. I don't care if someone does something to show off or whatever, as long as it's actually fun .

    Also, the road to hell is paved with good intentions .

  2. #2
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    We actually discussed this on vent the other evening when I was wondering if you can be a bad person if your intentions are nothing but good (and excluding psychos like Hitler!).

    Action is what you're judged on, but I think that's a bit unfair. Intentions should receive some weight as well, as they're the truer judge of a person's good or bad traits, I'd think.

    Some of us tend to have good intentions, but blunder around and screw up our actions so that it ends up making us look like bad people
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  3. #3
    Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    We actually discussed this on vent the other evening when I was wondering if you can be a bad person if your intentions are nothing but good (and excluding psychos like Hitler!).

    Action is what you're judged on, but I think that's a bit unfair. Intentions should receive some weight as well, as they're the truer judge of a person's good or bad traits, I'd think.

    Some of us tend to have good intentions, but blunder around and screw up our actions so that it ends up making us look like bad people


    Of course, it's also arguable that we as humans cannot process intention and action separately when we see both of them and understand them in our minds. They're probably intertwined. So I don't think it's possible to judge someone solely on action or intention.

  4. #4
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post


    Of course, it's also arguable that we as humans cannot process intention and action separately when we see both of them and understand them in our minds. They're probably intertwined. So I don't think it's possible to judge someone solely on action or intention.
    I can't help but to view them at the same time.

    Action is judgement and intention is the forgiveness for some, vice versa if your intentions are evil but you screw up and accidentally do something good!

    To judge by actions is human- to judge by intentions is humane. I think a balance of both is needed in order to get the full picture on the person in question.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #5
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Action.

    Negligence is a product of choice, and if the intentions are strong enough, they will produce action!

    Talk is cheap, but if you observe what the person is trying to accomplish with their words, you will have another action to judge.

  6. #6
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Oooh, this is a hard.

    A "good" intention is dependent on interpretation of the recipient and the outcome. Good outcomes have come from bad intentions and vice versa.

    Truly knowing someone meant well or wasn't purposely trying to cause harm usually softens the blow of a bad outcome. If I had to say which one I focused on more, I think actions would slightly edge out intentions because a bad intention can pan out to nothing but once it's done, it's done.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  7. #7
    Wild Card Atomic Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    7,164

    Default

    Both.

  8. #8
    Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Oooh, this is a hard.

    A "good" intention is dependent on interpretation of the recipient and the outcome. Good outcomes have come from bad intentions and vice versa.

    Truly knowing someone meant well or wasn't purposely trying to cause harm usually softens the blow of a bad outcome. If I had to say which one I focused on more, I think actions would slightly edge out intentions because a bad intention can pan out to nothing but once it's done, it's done.
    I think we have a Catch-22 situation here, hehe.

  9. #9
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Well action is easily observable, we can only theorize about what someone's intentions were. So I'd focus more on action.

    But so we can find out what causes people to act in a certain way, we need to learn about intent and why people intend to do certain things.

  10. #10
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Intention. If I am motivated to do something that isn't in accord with my values, there is something wrong with me. So, I can't cut any slack with my intentions.

Similar Threads

  1. MBTI vs the MBTI Step II test
    By Totenkindly in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 09:25 PM
  2. Faith vs Faithfulness
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 07:10 AM
  3. Does SJ vs SP account for gender bias?
    By Tayshaun in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO