User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you focus on action or intention more?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Action

11 37.93%
  • Intention

18 62.07%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I agree with whatever.
    I don't judge people based on their actions alone (not that I go around judging people).
    Their intentions have weight also.
    It's tough to fault someone who's doing the best they can.

If you're asking which one I prefer to focus on when it comes to judging someone else, I'd say action, but only because I have to pick one. They are both helpful, but I'm not empathetic enough in most situations to value intentions more than actions. At least actions speak for themselves.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Some of us tend to have good intentions, but blunder around and screw up our actions so that it ends up making us look like bad people
    Totally agreed.

Some peoples' actions are just for 'show.' Though with the best intentions, some people come off the wrong way at times, due to their inability to effectively get their point across. In my experiences, it's the little things that count most. For me actions + intentions are important, however, I think intentions weigh more heavily. It reveals the true nature of a persons' sincerity. That's just my opinion. Everyone has their way of seeing things.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Both. I think we need to weigh intentions and actions against each other to measure a proper response to the situation. However I always fallback on the notion that we are all going to be dead someday. So in the end, we all loose no matter what we do or think. XD

MBTI
    INxJ

Is this in reference to perceived negativity?

If so, I suppose both are important if a situation is directly affecting me. Though, most people's "morals" or lack thereof do not move me either way.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

If there is any such thing as good and bad, then it is surely defined by consequences. That is to say, something can only be judged on value based on it's impact on the state of things. Therefore, actions are more important. If you think you can figure out someone's intent, that can be helpful, but only for the pupose of learning how to persuade them and predict their future behavior. In the end, the importants of all of this falls back on the actions of a person sooner or later.

So a person's intents a somewhat relevant in determining their value, but it is substantially less important than their actions.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Let's say someone barrows money from me, intends to pay me back, and fails to do so. Either their intention was weak or completely fake, or they truly tried to do it and just couldn't. In my opinion, if you actually intend to do something, you at least TRY. Trying is action. Action directly indicates intentions. So this is another reason why I prefer actions. It's a case of proof over claims.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    xxxx

I always want to know the reasons why people do things so I'm interested in intentions.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

How I see it is intentions cause action or inaction. The underlying reasons behind it is what intrigues me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Let's just say that if a person's ill intentions somehow turn out to be a beneficial outcome toward me, it will be a double dose of enjoying the action towards me as well as the person's dismay for a foiled plan.

Yes, I pay more attention to actions. Some of the worst things imaginable are done with the best intentions.