User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default are you more or less logical than you think?

I promise after this thread I'm done for the day posting new threads

Ok so most people think they're more logical then they actually are. I have people saying I'm more logical than I believe, so how is that possible? I don't think I'm at all very logical, but my family and friends say so. Same with my intelliegence.
    I've also heard the theory that women understate their abilities as men tend to overstate theirs how true do you think this?

do you think overstating and understating have anything to with type more than gender?

how so?

How logical do you think you are?

Do people think you're less or more then you believe?

How smart are you (no IQ scores I'm not interested in your IQ just say very, not so much, or whatever else you want)?

do people think you're smarter or dumber then you are?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I think I'm less logical than I think I am. Wait. Isn't that a contradiction? :P.

Most people aren't as logical as they think they are. When you look at formal logic, you understand what it really is, and then discover that you have a lot more in your thinking processes than just plain logic. Such as emotion and intuition, etc.

I'm not sure how logical other people think I am. I guess I'll have to ask sometime. (Unless someone else wants to offer their opinion in this thread.)

No, I do not think understatement & overstatement have anything to do with type.

MBTI
    INTP

I think I'm not capable of logic.

People corroborate my view.

I'm mentally inadequate, other people feel the same.

I do not overstate my lack of intelligence or logical skills.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I've also heard the theory that women understate their abilities as men tend to overstate theirs how true do you think this?
    im sure there is some sociological reason for this but i personally dont know.

do you think overstating and understating have anything to with type more than gender?
    like i stated above, i think this has more to do with a sociological reason then a physiological reason
    its a novelty lol
    the people i interact with at work think im extremely logical. my good friends know otherwise.
    How smart are you (no IQ scores I'm not interested in your IQ just say very, not so much, or whatever else you want)?
    idk that is relative to someone elses intelligence so really it depends on that other person. in terms of society... meh.
    this goes back to the logical question. people at work, for example, see me as being both street and book smart. my good friends know otherwise
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Generally true, but there is a large overlap between the two (women can easily be at the male tail end of overstatement!). Denial knows no bounds.

Age has more to do with this though. Young males are especially good at displaying their feathers - their pretend ones, since they don't have much mating appeal - more or less leading directly to overstating their... prowess.

how so?
    I would imagine that there would be type relationships. Ts are inherently more competitive, so it may come out as a lot of bluster. Internally, though, I'm not sure E-F-s wouldn't be just as similar, but they may not express it. Hard to say!

Js often think they can do anything, or that things will work out according to their plans. Ps tend to think anything is possible, especially NPs (when it comes to more theoretical stuff, anyway). Me, I tend to think that there is nothing I can't do once I start in on it, heh. I don't think this directly relates to overstating ability though, just a lack of... consideration of it.

I need to seperate logical and rational. I'm more rational than logical, because I am not always as serial as logic demands. Relatively speaking, I'm more rational than the general population, but the logical steps are often weaker (I tend to model from empirical data.)

People think I'm way more logical than I am. Discipline often gets related to logical. Being bound by logic seems way different than being able to work logically.

As proof of my rationality over my logic, I need a metric in which to define my subjective impression

Smarter. People don't see the effort that goes on behind the scenes.

MBTI
    xxxx

how so?

I think perception has a lot to do with gender. Many men perceive all women as illogical creatures (which is a stereotype) and people tend to see what they expect to see instead of what's right in front of them (they project their own bias). Or they are looking at my boobs.

I'm an INTJ woman so I use logic. I doubt most people would describe me as being as logical as a man though and certainly not as logical as an INTJ man. People probably think I'm of average intelligence, until they get to know me. I learned to dumb down my language to fit in as a teen so most don't realize that I'm smart. Is that "understating my abilities"? I suppose so, but in most situations it doesn't make any difference if I'm perceived as being smart and I'm certainly not going to shout it from the rooftops.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I can solve problems logically, I actually like it; however, I am not necessarily very logical in my everyday choices (esp. small choices).

This often depends on the setting. Most of my classmates think I'm more logical than I am, most of my friends think I'm less.

Sufficiently not to feel a strong lack of the quality.

Dumber, definitely. I actually enjoy sounding dumber, know-it-alls aren't generally liked.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    yupp

I'm enjoying these responses, I would love for everyone on the board to answer, but I know that's not gonna happen.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I promise after this thread I'm done for the day posting new threads
    No! Start new threads whenever you have ideas. If you don't they'll just go poof and might never appear again.

Ok so most people think they're more logical then they actually are. I have people saying I'm more logical than I believe, so how is that possible? I don't think I'm at all very logical, but my family and friends say so. Same with my intelliegence.
    Actually, I think I'm less logical than people think I actually am. I'm in the same case as you. Hmmm it might have to do with the internal thought process. Mine is very non-linear (you're too I presume?). So things never comes out right the first time I try it. Perhaps the believe that A + B = C => D => G+H => A + G => D! Therefore A + B + G + H =>.... D + Z!

Is it logic when you can't explain it yourself? Does the fact that others people can derive the ending point from the starting point after the fact make it logical? I'm not sure what's the answer to that.

Hmmm related to mate attraction perhaps? Fitness of men is dependent on wealth and prestige, which are highly skill dependent. It'll make sense to boost your abilities? The reverse is less true for woman... in fact I think we've had a thread a while back where female members complaint about how intelligence in women can be seen as a threat to the man's ego? Therefore this might lead to women downplaying their skills?

Well both would contribute... different gender typically places difference emphasis on values of objects. So you can say different types put significance on different things. If you value something more than others... there'll be the tendency to overstate. Since "overstate" is a comparison relative to somebody else's perspective anyways.

IQ has no bearing to being logical or not... other than the fact that portions of a general IQ test typically tests you on numeracy and logics. If that's your definition of being logical... as being able to follow rules of logic.

Other than that, no. My litmus test for being logical is thoughts that people with adequate knowledge and understanding can follow. Actually, with that said, I kind of answered my own questions. What's "logical" is an external standard subjected to change based on the thinking style of the general group you're referencing to. It has nothing to do with linearity or what not. Just people's understanding.

So if you train people up to a new set of standards... what's logical today can be illogical tomorrow.

With the way that I look at it, a person can't BE logical, they can only use logic. So I guess you can question how much they use logic and how accurate and effective they are with it in order to determine how logical they are, but I don't do that.

To be more practical with my answer, I think I'm pretty logical. I think my assessment is accurate, but it's really of no concern to me.

I think I'm pretty damn smart. I know I'm not a super genius but I think I do just great with what I've got.

I think most people think I'm a genius. (At least the ones who know me in real life.)

I think if someone believes they are not logical, they are either lacking in self-esteem or they think that being logical means being cold and they don't like that. (But that has no bearing on how logical they actually are.)

It might have something to do with gender, but not enough for me to care about or speculate on. Male and female brains are often different.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Likes Reborn Relic liked this post