User Tag List

First 1234 Last

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yes, but "Are you more logical or less logical then you think?" wouldn't fit.
    More or less?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLWXSsYJoWY"]Infected[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

do you think overstating and understating have anything to with type more than gender?

how so?

I think women understate their intelligence more often. I think it is due to the unfortunate stigma that still exists against intelligent women.

How logical do you think you are?

I'm not sure how to quantify how logical I am. Logic requires some sort of model. The accuracy of the model determines the accuracy of the logic, no matter how careful you are with the logic itself.

Nevertheless, I'm always using logic on my mental models. I don't always behave according to the logical conclusions.

Do people think you're less or more then you believe?

They generally think I am more logical than I actually am.

How smart are you (no IQ scores I'm not interested in your IQ just say very, not so much, or whatever else you want)?

I believe I'm fairly intelligent.

I was intelligent enough to be in gifted programs, and a magnet high-school. I don't know what that means.

I believe the multiple intelligence model based on log-normal distributions of intelligences that get "capped" on tests. So "smart" is a multi-dimensional term for me.

do people think you're smarter or dumber then you are?

Smarter. I've had people assume, I am intelligent for no reason whatsoever.

I could have just met someone, and for some reason, many people believe I know the answer to every question that pops into their head. WTF?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I think people I casually interact with assume I'm less logical but more intelligent than I am. Less logical cause of that v

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    I think perception has a lot to do with gender. Many men perceive all women as illogical creatures (which is a stereotype) and people tend to see what they expect to see instead of what's right in front of them (they project their own bias). Or they are looking at my boobs.
    And more intelligent cause in a professional environment I generally only talk up when I have something significant to add.

MBTI
    ENTP

I've also heard the theory that women understate their abilities as men tend to overstate theirs how true do you think this?

It all has to do with balance. A man can be highly intellectual but if they are self and socially aware they should be able to see the value in being real in portraying their "powers". Those who arn't tend to be found out anyway.

do you think overstating and understating have anything to with type more than gender?

Yes, as above balance is a key contributer. A strong thinker may not have an understanding of various social norms and thus overstate their abilities.

how so?

Without an strong feeling balance there becomes a point where a T oriented person tends to believe that they are superior because from their schema logic is all. Unfortunately this leads to a tendency to overstate ones ability.

I percieve I am to a high degree, however I feel there is a definite point where logic isn't all that important and instead feelings, and intuitions rule my judgement. I'm not afraid of this, and instead see it as an integral part of being human.

I think I depict a realistic representation of how logical I actually am, I don't feel the need to lie about it and I believe understand my approach to the world.

How smart are you (no IQ scores I'm not interested in your IQ just say very, not so much, or whatever else you want)?

Intelligence is always context specific. I guess I'm considered traditionally smart, but then again I may run into trouble should I ever be looking for food on a desert island. As Forrest Gump says, "Stupid is as Stupid does", lol.

Probably dumber, although those who really know me would have a better picture. I don't tend to lecture from a position of intellectual superiority but instead try to convey my perspective through collaborative reasoning, and listening. This may make me appear less intelligent etc.
    Good Dog Nigel

Arf, arf, he goes, a merry sight,
    Our little hairy friend,
    Arf, arf, upon the lampost bright
    Arfing round the bend.
    Nice dog! Goo boy,
    Waggie tail and beg,
    Clever Nigel, jump for joy
    Because we're putting you to sleep at three of the clock, Nigel. -John Lennon

MBTI
    INTJ

I've also heard the theory that women understate their abilities as men tend to overstate theirs how true do you think this?
    An innate desire to submit? Well, that could be what they want you to think. But as far as I've seen, I'm more like a woman in this regard..

Not really.

how so?
    We all wear masks. You have some who are confident; they just don't make a big deal about it. Others who aren't, but must act it out so that their peers think higher of them.

I think I'm pretty logical. I may do many things on mere whim, but overall I tend to know what'll happen if I do something.

I don't know, really. It's not important really, as I never outburst or anything.

There is too much I don't know. I'll leave it at that.

It's situational.
    What a waste of life..

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I promise after this thread I'm done for the day posting new threads

Ok so most people think they're more logical then they actually are. I have people saying I'm more logical than I believe, so how is that possible? I don't think I'm at all very logical, but my family and friends say so. Same with my intelliegence.

how so?

I'm not very logical. But I am very sensible. I don't really come up with step-by-step arguments for why I do things, but I always like to have several good reasons to back up what I choose to do. I think maybe some people believe I'm more logical than I am simply because they interpret good sense as "logic", but they find out once they try to get into a philosophical debate with me that I'm not really going to go there and stay there for very long.

As for intelligence, I think most people who don't call themselves "brilliant" think I'm fairly smart. I've never questioned their assessment. (People who think they're brilliant usually think everyone they meet is dumb, so I figure it's not worth caring about their assessment.) I've never taken an IQ test, but I figure that whatever my IQ really is, "lack of intelligence" would've shown up long before now if it were ever going to be a problem.

I know that some women feel they need to downplay their intelligence around men who aren't as bright as they are, but since I'm not exactly a genius, I guess I don't tend to come across to people as overwhelmingly intelligent to the point where others feel threatened. (although, as a librarian, I do love humoring people who make lame jokes to the effect that "librarians know everything"... )

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

I think I am decently intelligent, I don't think that many people percieve me as such though. I think most people just think I'm average. But, I think that has a lot to do with my adhd. I think that if you put me next to someone of the same IQ but sans the adhd they would be percieved as smarter.

I am aware of women feeling the need to look less intelligent but I've never understood the need. I think people probably percieve me as less logical than I am or as logical as I am. Certainly not moreso.

I imagine it may have something to do with gender but I also figure that are probably many acceptions.

As for logic. Well, I think in contrast to Sarah I am logical but not sensable. Or, not always logical, but I can see what I should be even when I'm not logical. I've been told so often that I'm not logical that I have to assume it's true. And, when I'm upset, I do not claim that logic accounts for my feelings.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I've frequently noticed that trend too. It don't know if we have to blame hormones, social tradition, or both, and in what proportion. Despite claims of the contrary, our Western world remains a male chauvinistic society: you only need to see the salary unbalance between genders if you want a proof.

Do you think overstating and understating have anything to with type more than gender?

Probably both. It probably depends of the context, too.

How so?

I don't know.

It depends on the context. I'm a bit like what Haphazard said of her: I tend to follow my drives, even if I rationalize them. I do not consider myself very logical or rational (at least in my daily choices), yet I'm aware of it.
    I have a sharp ability to notice a biased reasoning, however, and ESPECIALLY from people who pretend to be superlogical or objective.

It depends on the context. Again, my close friends or my family would not think I'm the most logical person in the world (and that's an euphemism), but on academic matters, I have the reputation to be a fierce analytical thinker.

If for you, being "logic" is the ability to notice how predictable people or a model can be, then I'm tremendously logic. But if, on the other hand, it means making logical choices for yourself, then I would say most of my daily decisions are simply beyond the understanding of mortals (including myself: I have a whimsical self-destructive side).

When you're more skilled to understand your fellow men than yourself, it probably has something to do with being an Extravert.

My professors often said of me I was the most brilliant student they had in their entire career.

Do people think you're smarter or dumber then you are?

Almost every people I know look at me in awe when it comes to general knowledges, even some of my university colleagues. Fortunately, I have enough social skills not to completely terrify or scare them, even if I sometimes inspire jealousy -much to my utter dismay-. And more so, even if I may look pretentious or snob sometimes, I'm not selfish: I use my skills to help people, I share them as much as I can, and I do not mind to see my ideas stolen. I'm not competitive at all, some of my exes have already complained in the past I totally lacked ambition, despite being "out of the norm".

However, I do know a lot of people I consider smarter or more creative than I am. My father, for instance, or many famous people with whom I had the chance to work with.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

how so?

It depends on the environment. In my department, for example, which is notoriously male-centric and overwhelmingly populated with males (which is a bit odd for a humanities/social science these days), I notice that the females do have a tendency to understate their abilities. I definitely do, but for two reasons: (1) it helps in the long-run to establish yourself as a "sleeper"...someone who doesn't come off as overtly brilliant at first, but who shines later (and all the more for not having set up expectations), and (2) because I find overstating to be distasteful, so it's better to understate.

I have trouble conceptualizing what it means to be logical outside of formal logic, which isn't really a construct that's useful in everyday decision making. As such, I can't really say how logical I think I am.

People think that I'm very reasonable, which usually translates to meaning logical (though erroneously, I think). To answer the question better, though, I'd say that people don't perceive me as being any more or less logical than I am. I've never really been accused of being illogical, but I haven't been accused of being a human calculator, either.

I like to think that I'm fairly intelligent. Since I place a lot of my ideas of self-worth into my intellect, you'd be hard-pressed to get me to admit to being any less intelligent than I really am.

Depends on the situation. I've been in some settings where I knew my opinion was devalued as a result of decreased value placed on my intelligence. But I've also been in situations where it's been overestimated as well. I'm not really sure at this point which one is worse.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness