User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Masks

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The Japanese have two exquisite words for this - "tatemae", and "hon'ne".

The Japanese understand this so well because they wear such refined social masks.

But understanding social masks so well they naturally understand the opposite - one's true feelings.

Yes, "tatemae", is your social mask and, "hon'ne", is your true feelings.

But ask Wolfy to give us a deeper and more accurate understanding of, "hon'ne", and "tatemae".

It's wonderful, isn't it, to discover this concept in another language and another culture.
    I can't really explain it any better than you have in bold Victor.

Japanese keep communication vague in order to maintain harmony. To save face.

Here's an example

"Would you like to come to my party?"

"I'm sorry I have something to do"

Almost nobody will question your something to do.
    So both parties are able to save face.

I don't think there is anything unique to the concept other than the whole tatemae "social mask" and honne "true feelings" have been thought about and organized into a system.

200 years of isolation can do that to a culture.

3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    Maybe it's an INTP thing. ENTJ is the shadow of INTP, after all.
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Always thought this was weird, people tell me that when they first met me, they thought I was a snob. Have been told this consistently since I was a teenager. (Not by everyone, but once in a while, i'll get that comment once the person feels comfortable enough to say so.) Since I'm not a snob at all, I always wondered why people had this reaction. Its always in the beginning when I first meet them. I don't know if there is a type associated with snobbishness though.
    Probably not a type association, though my ISFP mom gets this, too. To this day. (Introverts? perhaps. SFPs? Nah).
    Do you not go out of your way to appear to care about strangers' opinions? I've found many people tag others arrogant for declining the "I care so much" mask.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Shadow functions.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

almost nekkid Array scantilyclad's Avatar
    4w5 sx

when i'm around my family i seem to put on a intp mask, for some reason i can be so logical and objective when im around those people. Its probably because they make fun of me so much, so i try not to take things personally. on the inside i'm still an infp of course. =(.

with friends, especially close friends i don't put on any mask at all, but i can seem more extraverted.

with people i don't know well, i dont really put on a mask, but i don't talk much, so its hard to tell what i really think or feel, people are always confused by me.
    INFP 4w5
    The pain won't let me get away.

I have one for every ball...

which doesn't come off for every midnight.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

Senior Member Array

I wear a mask all the time; perpetual anxiety and/or distraction is not particularly reassuring to most people, so I maintain a calm, ever-so-slight smile as my "passive" expression when around other people. I've also trained myself so that my fake expressions (with the significant exception of my "passive" face) are almost indistinguishable from my real expressions.

Hmm, I feel the urge to play Persona III, now...

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar

Work/School (public): ISTJ

One-on-one with most people, attempting to backpedal, trying to comfort someone: IxFJ

People I'm fairly comfortable with: INxJ, INTx, and (rarely) ENxP.

At least, I think so...