User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Masks

ThatGirl

I always wear a mask and I think it really offends people.

I just don't understand what's wrong with jumping out of dark places and corners looking like V for Vendetta

MBTI
    INFP

I have quite a few of them in my closet along with a full suit of emotional armor. A necessity for an INFP.

The only time I take one out is when I need to get something done with a person who has no interest in knowing who I am and whom I don't care to get any closer to. Works for me.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP

I have a few, the one I use the most is a very aggressive and directive one (ENTJ?) when I feel threatened or stressed.
    Sometimes, I think I've lost the real 'me' under all of them.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    INFP

I think, Kora, that just the fact that you are aware that you chose to use a "mask" in certain situations is a good thing. You certainly aren't "lost."

Perhaps it bothers you, though, in which case as you move through life you'll be picking up new skills for dealing with those whom feel threatening in some way and feel more solid.

I think we only feel lost when we feel helpless to use anything but a mask.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    I have a few, the one I use the most is a very aggressive and directive one (ENTJ?) when I feel threatened or stressed.
    Sometimes, I think I've lost the real 'me' under all of them.
    Yes, this is the danger of wearing masks, we can lose touch with the real me.

And also we individuate by integrating all the disparate parts of ourselves.

And as we integrate, we become stronger and have a lesser need to wear masks.

And after a while masks become distasteful as we develop a taste for our whole self.

And we become whole. Or if you are religious, we become holy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    Every single person who knows me, knows a different me. But does this even count as a mask? Because in esence, these are just random recollections of myself.
    Sounds familiar.

In my case there is no way I can link things I am thinking about every day and everyday life.

It is interesting to see that some types are so often in this thread.

MBTI
    INFP

Well, AO, like I said, NFPs can feel so intensely that it is a necessity to learn how to deal well with our feelings. Part of the learning process is trying on different types of masks to see what fits.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

i dont act like a different type but when talking to my ISTJ friend, for instance, i will tailor my jokes and the way i talk to make them most comfortable with talking to me. i act differently around different people in one on one situations. in a group i act like myself but i restrain a little. unless its my best friends of course.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I have quite a few of them in my closet along with a full suit of emotional armor.
    I don't know why, but I very much like this comment... the way puppies like toys.

MBTI
    INTP

I chameleon/put on a mask all the time. XNTJ at work at times, XSFJ when I'm making myself chat to people.

I'm me with my partner, most of the time.

I'm trying to break the habit of chameleoning and mirroring. I don't particularly like doing it any more.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.