User Tag List

12 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Default The Voice in Your Head

Some questions...

1) When you think, do you hear your own voice in your head?

2) Why is it there?

3) Is it your thoughts or is it just a translation of the thoughts?

4) Have you actively tried to think in some other form? (example: think in images)

5) Do you think the voice limits your thinking efficiency?

6) What would the advantages be if you could think in some other way?

7) Are there research about this? Give me some literature or links about this.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Are you advocating trying to quiet the voices in my head!? I LIKE the voices!

Ok seriously, I have conversations with Me all the time, and not just an internal conscience kind of thing... I mean actual conversations with multiple Me's.

Example:

I'm in the shower running late for getting ready.

Nagging Me - "You'd better hurry up, you're gonna be late!"

Hostile Me - "Ya think? Shut up before I kick yer ass"

Amused Me - "Hehehe do you realize you're threatening to kick your own ass?"

Peacemaker Me - "Can't we all just get along?!"

Rational Me - "Well, in a very real sense, we DO get along... on a physical level. If you think about it, we're really nothing more than..."

All the rest - "SHUT UP!"

All day long.

2) Why is it there?

Usually as a sounding board for reactions, thoughts or to keep me in line.

Definately my thoughts. They come so quickly that its really like listening to 'Whose Line Is It Anyway' and I never really know what they'll say. Sounds weird since its ... well... me... but its true. Sometimes I bust out laughing at the things they say.

4) Have you actively tried to think in some other form? (example: think in images)

Nope

Not really. Words are my narcotic. I love playing with words and finding the right words for the right situations so it kind of becomes an internal, mental game or excersize.

I can't imagine any other way of thinking...

Not sure... I may try to find something later though!
    Embrace the possibilities.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    Are you advocating trying to quiet the voices in my head!? I LIKE the voices!

Ok seriously, I have conversations with Me all the time, and not just an internal conscience kind of thing... I mean actual conversations with multiple Me's.

Example:

I'm in the shower running late for getting ready.

Nagging Me - "You'd better hurry up, you're gonna be late!"

Hostile Me - "Ya think? Shut up before I kick yer ass"

Amused Me - "Hehehe do you realize you're threatening to kick your own ass?"

Peacemaker Me - "Can't we all just get along?!"

Rational Me - "Well, in a very real sense, we DO get along... on a physical level. If you think about it, we're really nothing more than..."

All the rest - "SHUT UP!"
    Yeah, I know that experience. But, sometimes I can hear other people talking without me. Some people I know, like friends or family. Usually this happens when I am really tired. Their voices also have different place than my thought-voice. They can seem to be all around me but a little further. So that I really have to listen to hear what they say.

Yes, That's what thinking is isn't it?

2) Why is it there?

It's always been there

A conversation on my thoughts

I think in images, viscerally and talk in my head. I've never tried to do any way.

No. When the conversation spills into real life it limits my efficiency.

I'd just like to be better at thinking full stop.

Not that I know of.

MBTI
    yupp

1. No, but I have other people's voices in my head (I don't like the sound of my own voice) btw it's usually male when problem solving and female when criticizing

2.Probably to criticize me, but is very useful for problem solving I just have the voice take the opposite view point.

3. I think its my thoughts who else's would they be, unless you mean like me remembering something someone said. I don't need to translate, some times but not often

4.I actually switch back and forth between images and voices, depending on what I'm thinking about. Whether its more useful to think in sound or pictures. Or both, I now feel like a tv set after that answer.

5.if anything speeds it up, if I did not bring in a conflicting view point then I'd still be stuck on something now. except I can confuse myself because I'll argue about whether or not a word should go somewhere and both sides of me will think they're right.

6.I don't know can't think right now need coffee (I'll edit later)

In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Yes, That's what thinking is isn't it?
    Is it? I think there is something behind there that could work all the time without words except when you need to talk. I am thinking that this construct we make when we twist the thoughts into words is limiting the thoughts. I bet the thoughts have a lot more flexibility before they are translated into words.

For example: Now I am thinking in English since I am writing in English. Anyone who has learned a foreign language knows that you can't express certain things in one language, but you can do it in another. There are a lot of subtle things that are missing. So, if the words were the thoughts, the amount of thoughts I can have would increase if I learn another language. I don't buy that. I think we might be able to think in amazing amount of nuances if we could drop the words out of the system.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Isn't there a thread about this very subject already?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Isn't there a thread about this very subject already?
    Don't know.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Is it? I think there is something behind there that could work all the time without words except when you need to talk. I am thinking that this construct we make when we twist the thoughts into words is limiting the thoughts. I bet the thoughts have a lot more flexibility before they are translated into words.

For example: Now I am thinking in English since I am writing in English. Anyone who has learned a foreign language knows that you can't express certain things in one language, but you can do it in another. There are a lot of subtle things that are missing. So, if the words were the thoughts, the amount of thoughts I can have would increase if I learn another language. I don't buy that. I think we might be able to think in amazing amount of nuances if we could drop the words out of the system.
    What you're talking about sounds more like subconscious thought, which certainly exists, but we're not necessarily aware of it, it just kind of percolates and affects us on a conscious level.

"Now I am thinking in English since I am writing in English. Anyone who has learned a foreign language knows that you can't express certain things in one language, but you can do it in another. There are a lot of subtle things that are missing. So, if the words were the thoughts, the amount of thoughts I can have would increase if I learn another language. I don't buy that. I think we might be able to think in amazing amount of nuances if we could drop the words out of the system"

On this note, I think intuition is maybe a key part of this practice for me. I formulate the idea but can't always verbalize it correctly... and sometimes the 'thought' is gone before I can really grab ahold of it and analyze it because by attempting to do so it loses its 'meaning'. This is a frustrating normalcy for me, and something I've learned to live with.
    Embrace the possibilities.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    On this note, I think intuition is maybe a key part of this practice for me. I formulate the idea but can't always verbalize it correctly... and sometimes the 'thought' is gone before I can really grab ahold of it and analyze it because by attempting to do so it loses its 'meaning'. This is a frustrating normalcy for me, and something I've learned to live with.
    Yeah. This is basically what I am talking about. I feel like my thoughts on that intuitive level are a lot more "useful" to me than the mess of words I can get out of it. So, if I could control it better, I might be able to think very efficiently and only articulate the final conclusions.