• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Voice in Your Head

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Some questions...

1) When you think, do you hear your own voice in your head?

2) Why is it there?

3) Is it your thoughts or is it just a translation of the thoughts?

4) Have you actively tried to think in some other form? (example: think in images)

5) Do you think the voice limits your thinking efficiency?

6) What would the advantages be if you could think in some other way?

7) Are there research about this? Give me some literature or links about this.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Are you advocating trying to quiet the voices in my head!? I LIKE the voices!

Ok seriously, I have conversations with Me all the time, and not just an internal conscience kind of thing... I mean actual conversations with multiple Me's.

Example:

I'm in the shower running late for getting ready.

Nagging Me - "You'd better hurry up, you're gonna be late!"

Hostile Me - "Ya think? Shut up before I kick yer ass"

Amused Me - "Hehehe do you realize you're threatening to kick your own ass?"

Peacemaker Me - "Can't we all just get along?!"

Rational Me - "Well, in a very real sense, we DO get along... on a physical level. If you think about it, we're really nothing more than..."

All the rest - "SHUT UP!"

All day long.

2) Why is it there?

Usually as a sounding board for reactions, thoughts or to keep me in line.

Definately my thoughts. They come so quickly that its really like listening to 'Whose Line Is It Anyway' and I never really know what they'll say. Sounds weird since its ... well... me... but its true. Sometimes I bust out laughing at the things they say. :huh:

4) Have you actively tried to think in some other form? (example: think in images)

Nope

Not really. Words are my narcotic. I love playing with words and finding the right words for the right situations so it kind of becomes an internal, mental game or excersize.

I can't imagine any other way of thinking...

Not sure... I may try to find something later though!

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Are you advocating trying to quiet the voices in my head!? I LIKE the voices!

Ok seriously, I have conversations with Me all the time, and not just an internal conscience kind of thing... I mean actual conversations with multiple Me's.

Example:

I'm in the shower running late for getting ready.

Nagging Me - "You'd better hurry up, you're gonna be late!"

Hostile Me - "Ya think? Shut up before I kick yer ass"

Amused Me - "Hehehe do you realize you're threatening to kick your own ass?"

Peacemaker Me - "Can't we all just get along?!"

Rational Me - "Well, in a very real sense, we DO get along... on a physical level. If you think about it, we're really nothing more than..."

All the rest - "SHUT UP!"

Yeah, I know that experience. But, sometimes I can hear other people talking without me. Some people I know, like friends or family. Usually this happens when I am really tired. Their voices also have different place than my thought-voice. They can seem to be all around me but a little further. So that I really have to listen to hear what they say.

wolfy

awsm

Yes, That's what thinking is isn't it?

2) Why is it there?

It's always been there

A conversation on my thoughts

I think in images, viscerally and talk in my head. I've never tried to do any way.

No. When the conversation spills into real life it limits my efficiency.

I'd just like to be better at thinking full stop.

Not that I know of.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
1. No, but I have other people's voices in my head (I don't like the sound of my own voice) btw it's usually male when problem solving and female when criticizing

2.Probably to criticize me, but is very useful for problem solving I just have the voice take the opposite view point.

3. I think its my thoughts who else's would they be, unless you mean like me remembering something someone said. I don't need to translate, some times but not often

4.I actually switch back and forth between images and voices, depending on what I'm thinking about. Whether its more useful to think in sound or pictures. Or both, I now feel like a tv set after that answer.

5.if anything speeds it up, if I did not bring in a conflicting view point then I'd still be stuck on something now. except I can confuse myself because I'll argue about whether or not a word should go somewhere and both sides of me will think they're right.

6.I don't know can't think right now need coffee (I'll edit later)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, That's what thinking is isn't it?

Is it? I think there is something behind there that could work all the time without words except when you need to talk. I am thinking that this construct we make when we twist the thoughts into words is limiting the thoughts. I bet the thoughts have a lot more flexibility before they are translated into words.

For example: Now I am thinking in English since I am writing in English. Anyone who has learned a foreign language knows that you can't express certain things in one language, but you can do it in another. There are a lot of subtle things that are missing. So, if the words were the thoughts, the amount of thoughts I can have would increase if I learn another language. I don't buy that. I think we might be able to think in amazing amount of nuances if we could drop the words out of the system.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Isn't there a thread about this very subject already?

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Is it? I think there is something behind there that could work all the time without words except when you need to talk. I am thinking that this construct we make when we twist the thoughts into words is limiting the thoughts. I bet the thoughts have a lot more flexibility before they are translated into words.

For example: Now I am thinking in English since I am writing in English. Anyone who has learned a foreign language knows that you can't express certain things in one language, but you can do it in another. There are a lot of subtle things that are missing. So, if the words were the thoughts, the amount of thoughts I can have would increase if I learn another language. I don't buy that. I think we might be able to think in amazing amount of nuances if we could drop the words out of the system.

What you're talking about sounds more like subconscious thought, which certainly exists, but we're not necessarily aware of it, it just kind of percolates and affects us on a conscious level.

"Now I am thinking in English since I am writing in English. Anyone who has learned a foreign language knows that you can't express certain things in one language, but you can do it in another. There are a lot of subtle things that are missing. So, if the words were the thoughts, the amount of thoughts I can have would increase if I learn another language. I don't buy that. I think we might be able to think in amazing amount of nuances if we could drop the words out of the system"

On this note, I think intuition is maybe a key part of this practice for me. I formulate the idea but can't always verbalize it correctly... and sometimes the 'thought' is gone before I can really grab ahold of it and analyze it because by attempting to do so it loses its 'meaning'. This is a frustrating normalcy for me, and something I've learned to live with.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
On this note, I think intuition is maybe a key part of this practice for me. I formulate the idea but can't always verbalize it correctly... and sometimes the 'thought' is gone before I can really grab ahold of it and analyze it because by attempting to do so it loses its 'meaning'. This is a frustrating normalcy for me, and something I've learned to live with.

Yeah. This is basically what I am talking about. I feel like my thoughts on that intuitive level are a lot more "useful" to me than the mess of words I can get out of it. So, if I could control it better, I might be able to think very efficiently and only articulate the final conclusions.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Depends on how you define "thinking" doesn't it? To think in words, yes you need to hear the voice in your head. To think in images and emotions, no you don't. In fact I've found the latter form can occur at a much faster rapid than the former. Like reading aloud slows down your reading speed, thinking out your words slows down your thought processes?

2) Why is it there?
Cause the monkey's placed it there.

Both when I need to later articulate it... like typing up this post, I translate to that voice inside my head. You first get a mental glimpse of an indescribable "idea" then the voice takes over. It dictates what I which words I ought to use. However once the words get started... the words are a part of thought.

I thought thinking in images comes naturally like that voice inside your head?

See 1). Yes I do. It's slower and it limits you to thoughts that can be described by words. What does snow tastes and feels like? You can picture it easily in your head but it's impossible to describe it fully with words.

I believe there has been threads about this... but darn if I can find them.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I thought thinking in images comes naturally like that voice inside your head?

Yes. But the key word here is actively. Maybe if I go into the wilderness where you don't have words all around you, I might try to live without thinking in words. How long could I last? Is it possible to just let go... to think only in "ideas"..?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP

sometimes

2) Why is it there?

it is your conscious human speaking to your unconscious animal

it's your relationship with yourself, so to speak

i mostly think in models and systems, thought words are only used intrapersonally, just as spoken words are used interpersonally

n/e, see #4

same as above

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Didn't we have that Thread already? Odd, okay, anyways.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's either me, some odd Creatures (Demons, Reapers, Gargoyles, whatever) or Something completely different (like when I change it on "Purpose". So for Example it could suddenly be JD from Scrubs or a Game-Character or also People I know for real)

2) Why is it there?
Uh, because it gives me Advices? OR it can be me "thinking loud".

It CAN be my Thoughts, when "thinking loud" but it can also be other Stuff.

Sure, Images, Videos, Music, Poems..whatever comes to Mind.

What? Why should it limit it? The only Thing it does is being funny. Sometimes it really gives me odd Comments. :D

Uh, I don't really have to answer this, since my Thinking works in many different Ways. Lucky me.

Res...wait, are you trying to avoid googling yourself here? =P

Gee, now on a Scale of 1 to 10...how f'd am I? :D
*compares with Others*
Yeah, pretty f'd. So, probably 7.

Mole

Permabanned
When we think, we sub-vocalise.

In other words our voice box works soundlessly as we think.

This can be physically measured. And has.

But the nicest thing is to turn off this sub-vocalisation because it also means turning off the voice in your head.

When you turn off the voice in your head, you turn off your thoughts.

And when you turn off your thoughts, everything remains the same except no thoughts.

And fortunately, turning off your thoughts for a while leaves you relaxed and refreshed.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Some questions...

2) Why is it there?

1) Yes.
2) Because I want it to be there.
3) It's a second persona, It's what's asking me the questions to get me further through my thoughts. In a sense, it's like a speaking pupper in my head, that may have a mind of it's own or may not. Depending on my needs at the time.
4) I already have a mixed thinking style, "the voice in my head" is a visual projection of myself in a white room (if I'm lazy) or in a palace/restaurant/concert hall (if I'm not lazy) and he asks me to put him there.
5) No, not at all. It slow downs my thinking, but it makes it clearer. What it breaks down is my real life actions, because in a sense my "motor" stops, when I actively participate in my mind.
6) Imagining stuff is awesome.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Yes. But the key word here is actively. Maybe if I go into the wilderness where you don't have words all around you, I might try to live without thinking in words. How long could I last? Is it possible to just let go... to think only in "ideas"..?
We humans use words to direct our thought process (i.e. idea development). Going from with words to without words would naturally mean a huge step backwards. A part of focusing our attention and enhancing recall is by writing down notes... whether it's on paper or in the mind.

I suppose if you get a feral child or develop a society that's not language based you might get something different. In that case it'll be all feelings, images and sounds. I don't see how they by themselves would generate ideas. It'll be like a spark but no fire without the kindling.

Have you tried actively not thinking in words? I tried imagining pictures, and what I got back in words was what's the purpose of this mindless exercise?

No. You ask a question. You listen to the ping. You decode the ping. You get your answer. No input, no output. The unconscious/subconscious doesn't know how to direct itself.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's either me, some odd Creatures (Demons, Reapers, Gargoyles, whatever) or Something completely different (like when I change it on "Purpose". So for Example it could suddenly be JD from Scrubs or a Game-Character or also People I know for real)
There's the distinction between the two isn't there? Distinguishing "the voice in your head" as being "your own" or "somebody/something" else's.

Assume we ourselves imagined these extra voices. What possible reasons do we have of doing so? Personification of different view points so that it makes it easier for us to follow something from multiple perspectives? Thoughts?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I am quite impressed with all the different ways that you guys have answered the question, thank you. :)

No. You ask a question. You listen to the ping. You decode the ping. You get your answer. No input, no output. The unconscious/subconscious doesn't know how to direct itself.

This is very well put. Sums it up nicely, and I think this was the answer I was looking for in the first place... I kinda see my mind as something more "defined" now.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, unless I make it another voice.
2) Why is it there?
Because I will it.

Both, sometimes I'll just "understand" but still try and word it out in my head.

Yes, but not for the sake of doing it differently, it just happens. I do have to turn it on, but I always figured everyone does it that way.

No.

Less boredom, grander adventures, perhaps mental fortitude