• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How much unspontaneous is too unspontaneous?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have a confession to make, I did it again.

The ExTP from the first story wanted to play original Unreal tournament against me. He knew that I am very good at this but he wanted a challange and he is not a bad player himself. I've accepted the offer.

I will have to get a little bit techinical here to explain what I actually did.

We played Morpheus 1 vs 1 : We played two games with victory at 30 frags.

The thing is that I calculated too much once again.

Since I know how fast player can run I can calculate how much time he needs to get somewhere or pass by a certain point one I saw him.
Also I calculated wich weapons he can encounter in that direction of moving so I was always fully aware of his strategic options and in what ways he can harm me.
I made a list of all respawning areas on the level so once he respawned I knew where he is on the level.

Here is how this logic works:
Since I see that he is not at some points and I would have seen him running in this moment from where I stand if he respawned on another place, which in the end means that he must be inside a third tower.
Since I already checked what he can find there I knew for what he is capable of.
Also I made a routs for me so that I can pick up as many power ups as possible. Since I knew how he is moving around the level I was able to lunch many kinds of missles in a direction that they will hit where he should be in that moment.

In short, I have destroyed him completely.

Score

1.Game 30:-2
2.Game 30:-1

Suicides and accident give you negative points.

What I am actually asking here are the questions:

From social standpoint would it be my "job" to at least allow him to get some points which would stll not be enough for him to actually win?

He wanted a hard challange but I am not sure that this is what he had in mind. Even if he was interested in another try.

Would you ever think that opponent is investing this much energy against you?

One more question that is more about MBTI.
Would a senseor be making so much analysis in his/her head during a game and think so much about the things that are not on the screen?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
A Sensor in an FPS is probably more likely getting ready to react to something, and would rely more on their ability to adapt to a situation. Your strategy seems amazing, but I wouldn't have thought of it on my own.

I think that was awesome. Why not do that? I'd do that if I thought of it. Then again, I've played a crapload of online games, so only think twice about something that is only against the actual rules of the game, like cheating.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I make a point of only making general battle projections, because I can then be ready for multiple occurances, instead of the narrow scope of a real plan. I know what actions I'll take at the beginning, and diverge into if-then scenarios. PM me, and I'll send you the thoughts through my head as I play a matchmaking game of halo 3. *no tee shirt included.*

staytuned7

Hahaha...you are awesome. Just hearing about the extent of all that planning makes me feel good through and through. I'd say that if you have the chance to prepare in advance, do it. But I'm a J. I like those things.

From social standpoint would it be my "job" to at least allow him to get some points which would stll not be enough for him to actually win?

He wanted a hard challange but I am not sure that this is what he had in mind. Even if he was interested in another try.

Would you ever think that opponent is investing this much energy against you?

As an F, I would probably allow my opponent to gain some points, simply because it would evoke stronger emotions from them and, therefore, make the game more interesting. If my objective was to win, I would like to relish in the feelings of my opponent as much as possible as I massacred them. :D I guess it's also nice and perhaps better for your friendship to let them think they have a chance...? I don't really think it would be and, therefore, wouldn't use that as a good reason.

However, you are not an F. I don't know if the game would be more interesting with stronger emotions from your opponents thrown in. I, personally, think it's about how you feel. You obviously derive a lot of enjoyment from planning these things out (moreso than actually playing the game against them, it seems). If they are turned off by this and never want to play with you again, then go play board games with other people who will plan ahead as well. It will certainly be more stimulating, cause then you'd have to engage Ni to be spontaneous as your thorough plans are challenged by the thorough plans of another.

Anyway, I digress. I don't think it's your "job." The point of playing board games is to have fun. Planning your moves ahead of time is how you have fun. If you play with people who don't find the fun in this, it is certainly not your "job" to make sure they have fun, too. Socially, I suppose it would be nice to give them hope, but it won't make it any more fun for them and it does seem a little like an underhanded way of making sure you are still socially accepted.

As for your second question, I wouldn't normally think that my opponent was investing all this energy against me. However, if my opponent is an INTJ, I might be inclined (now) to think otherwise....and perhaps prepare myself for the onslaught.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I make a point of only making general battle projections, because I can then be ready for multiple occurances, instead of the narrow scope of a real plan. I know what actions I'll take at the beginning, and diverge into if-then scenarios. PM me, and I'll send you the thoughts through my head as I play a matchmaking game of halo 3. *no tee shirt included.*

Thanks but no thanks.

Hahaha...you are awesome. Just hearing about the extent of all that planning makes me feel good through and through. I'd say that if you have the chance to prepare in advance, do it. But I'm a J. I like those things.

As an F, I would probably allow my opponent to gain some points, simply because it would evoke stronger emotions from them and, therefore, make the game more interesting. If my objective was to win, I would like to relish in the feelings of my opponent as much as possible as I massacred them. :D I guess it's also nice and perhaps better for your friendship to let them think they have a chance...? I don't really think it would be and, therefore, wouldn't use that as a good reason.

However, you are not an F. I don't know if the game would be more interesting with stronger emotions from your opponents thrown in. I, personally, think it's about how you feel. You obviously derive a lot of enjoyment from planning these things out (moreso than actually playing the game against them, it seems). If they are turned off by this and never want to play with you again, then go play board games with other people who will plan ahead as well. It will certainly be more stimulating, cause then you'd have to engage Ni to be spontaneous as your thorough plans are challenged by the thorough plans of another.

Anyway, I digress. I don't think it's your "job." The point of playing board games is to have fun. Planning your moves ahead of time is how you have fun. If you play with people who don't find the fun in this, it is certainly not your "job" to make sure they have fun, too. Socially, I suppose it would be nice to give them hope, but it won't make it any more fun for them and it does seem a little like an underhanded way of making sure you are still socially accepted.

As for your second question, I wouldn't normally think that my opponent was investing all this energy against me. However, if my opponent is an INTJ, I might be inclined (now) to think otherwise....and perhaps prepare myself for the onslaught.

Well those guy were simply begging me to do this with their behaviour. But if we overlook "shock" at the end they took it as a joke. In a way you can say that they were intrugued. Since people in my country don't do this kinds of things.

My environment is very chaotic and random so I have to live by that standards and I am doing fine actually. But if see the possibility of overplanning while probability of succes is still likely I will overplan. I would be lying if I say that I don't like doing that.
However my plans are usually still flexibile. Very rarely I make plans like the one I did in that game of Risk. (but even that one had some flexibility )

Rhis is probably because I can't be what I am since this much planning would lead me nowhere in my sitation/life. There is simply a way too much chaos around for this way of planning. Most feelers are repressing their feelings just to better deal with their environment. I am doing exactly the same thing but it is the J in my case.

I simply can't be trully spontaneous in life. The best I can do is just adepting to some situation because that seems like the best choice. But I simply can't "lose control" over myself.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Seriosuly, strict planning always fails. Plans have to be felxible projections, or first contact with the enemy shatters them.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Antisocial one, I've got a friend who overplans everything as well. I know that if I play a strategy game with him I will most likely loose. The only game I can challenge him in is chess.

Doesn't really bother me though. With him being such a control freak the joy if I do get to beat him occasionally, just becomes bigger.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Seriosuly, strict planning always fails. Plans have to be felxible projections, or first contact with the enemy shatters them.

As I said already in the thread I usually don't do things like this.
However I always I have some general plan no matter what I do.

On the other hand this example proves that sometimes strict planning can work. Especially if other sides don't expect this much unspontaneousness.

However my plan was more flexibile then it looks like, since I had multiple plans/options. It is just that my "main" plan has proven to be succesful.
So I didn't need any alternatives.

Antisocial one, I've got a friend who overplans everything as well. I know that if I play a strategy game with him I will most likely loose. The only game I can challenge him in is chess.

Doesn't really bother me though. With him being such a control freak the joy if I do get to beat him occasionally, just becomes bigger.

What makes you say he is a control freak ?